How to connect to my PC remotely for various services

srikanthuk

Disciple
Hi,

Ok was planning to setup a box which would have an ftp and media center running.

I plan to have this box on 24/7 now.

I haven't gone about assembling the system but before i did i was playing with virtual boxes on my laptop to see how to get it working.

Now what i understood is if i find my external ip and forward my port number in my router i should be able to access the services i desire. Sounded easy but wasnt getting it.

My ISP (DDVOIS or ION not sure because both appear) has given me a LAN cable that i connect to the internet port of my router. When i goto whatismyip.com i get a certain ip address. When i goto my router i see a different WAN ip address.

Just to see my understanding is clear the whatismyip.com address is what my isp connects to the internet and my WAN IP is what i connect to my ISP. So pretty much port forwarding on my router would be useless if my isp doesnt forward ahead (Forgive me if i sound stupid, its been a looooong time)

Now if i want to access ports in my computer what would be the best solution?[DOUBLEPOST=1470204021][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone?

Last edited:
Local ISPs typically give a NATted IP address.
In other words, you don't have a public IP address at all.

There are few possible solutions, if you intend to use a full GUI like windows on this box, you can use TeamViewer
If you intend to use non GUI services (SSH or webUI based services), you can setup a reverse SSH with a server that has a public IP address - Amazon (AWS) gives out such servers gratis for 1 year
The third is localtunnel (google for it) - but the URL is not permanent Or nGrok (which you have to pay for)

Ohh so even if i ask them for a static ip it will basically be a NATted static ip and of no use. :(

I was hoping to setup a my server so that ftp and other services can be accessible through a ip address or a port. I guess teamviewer wont be of much help for that.

Let me read up about the other two things you said. I have no idea what they are :D

Hey ,
Can you test one thing , put your PC on DMZ in the router settings or forward the port , then try to access that port using the WAN IP . Just use some test server to do the same , like a http server like HFS on windows or similar for linux and try to access that using the WAN IP (from ipmango.com or other such sites).Most times these local ISP dont block ports atleast that was the case in Kolkata . And even if it were blocked on a particular WAN IP , they used to change my WAN IP to something else so that I could use the port .
All places I have used WAN IP which relates to the IP provided on whatsmyip or ipmango.com .Hope it helps .

Can you test one thing , put your PC on DMZ in the router settings or forward the port , then try to access that port using the WAN IP . Just use some test server to do the same , like a http server like HFS on windows or similar for linux and try to access that using the WAN IP (from ipmango.com or other such sites).Most times these local ISP dont block ports atleast that was the case in Kolkata . And even if it were blocked on a particular WAN IP , they used to change my WAN IP to something else so that I could use the port .
It is not a case of port blocking
The WAN IP address the OP would be getting will in all likelihood be in the 10.x.x.x (or 172.16-31.x.x) range and if that is the case, there is no way to access a server behind that private IP address range from the www directly.
The only solution is for his server to establish a connection with a broker on a public IP - He then accesses the broker's public IP which in turn relays the request via the persistent incoming connection from his server

BTW I remembered one more easy to use solution - Check pagekite - its free for a month and only $3 p.m. after

It is not a case of port blocking
The WAN IP address the OP would be getting will in all likelihood be in the 10.x.x.x (or 172.16-31.x.x) range and if that is the case, there is no way to access a server behind that private IP address range from the www directly.
The only solution is for his server to establish a connection with a broker on a public IP - He then accesses the broker's public IP which in turn relays the request via the persistent incoming connection from his server

BTW I remembered one more easy to use solution - Check pagekite - its free for a month and only $3 p.m. after
Agreed on the technicalities , I agree but I used to use local ISP for over 8yrs and never had the problem , even with the ISP giving the private IP ranges , the route was configured well and IP wasnt shared typically between users , so even when it was a NATed system , I could use my connection for hosting FTP/HTTP/ and other related servers when I needed them , hence am asking to do the same . For me my WAN IP on my router was in a 10.x.x.x range and I still could use the Global IP [from ipmango.com] to access my system . Depends on the setup . No harm to try.

Use team viewer to access the stuff you want, else ask ISP for outside access. I personally feel teamviewer or chrome remote access would be a better solution.

Your ISP is giving you an already NAT'd IP address. Dont waste time on DMZ etc.

Use team viewer to access the stuff you want, else ask ISP for outside access. I personally feel teamviewer or chrome remote access would be a better solution.

Your ISP is giving you an already NAT'd IP address. Dont waste time on DMZ etc.
:-( hmm ya looks like team viewer is the way to go when i called the isp guy he was completely clueless and finally asked me to goto their office and ask.

Problem with team viewer is the last time i used it on my android phone it sucked battery like crazy.

If you have the inclination to make it more secure, and dont mind wasting a bit of bandwidth + ready to do some jugaad every year + have a firewall which is capable - like pfsense, then you should be able to setup a VPN on AWS, put a VPN from your firewall to the VPN and setup a VPN on your phone as well, and open the IP of the devices from your phone using NAT.

This is very complicated, and you need to ensure that you are not using the VPN to tunnel traffic at all, as you might be billed for overusage with your card. Of course, it goes without saying that at the end of 12 months, the free trial will be over and you need to make a new AWS account. and you need to repeat everything.

This is all theoretical.... working of the mind of a :android:

It doesn't need to be that complicated.
You don't need a VPN either.

I have tried two solutions that both work well - FOr context, my primary ISP gives a regular WAN IP, my secondary ISP (Airtel 4G) gives a NATted IP
I have a failover router that switches to Airtel when primary goes down.

What I have done is I use a cheap VPS that my server does a persistent SSH to.
The VPS has a simple reverse proxy that routes all incoming requests over the incoming SSH to the server and routes the response back to the requestor.

Setting this up was fairly easy although with the assumption that the OP is very familiar with Linux

A simpler solution as mentioned before is pagekite
Pagekite provides a readymade script that will do all of the above for you but of course only with pagekite's servers.
It's a paid service @$3 a month with the first month free

It doesn't need to be that complicated.
You don't need a VPN either.

I have tried two solutions that both work well - FOr context, my primary ISP gives a regular WAN IP, my secondary ISP (Airtel 4G) gives a NATted IP
I have a failover router that switches to Airtel when primary goes down.

What I have done is I use a cheap VPS that my server does a persistent SSH to.
The VPS has a simple reverse proxy that routes all incoming requests over the incoming SSH to the server and routes the response back to the requestor.

Setting this up was fairly easy although with the assumption that the OP is very familiar with Linux

A simpler solution as mentioned before is pagekite
Pagekite provides a readymade script that will do all of the above for you but of course only with pagekite's servers.
It's a paid service @$3 a month with the first month free

And this works with anything he wants to - Windows/Linux/etc. But yes, reverse SSH is another good idea as well.

If you have the inclination to make it more secure, and dont mind wasting a bit of bandwidth + ready to do some jugaad every year + have a firewall which is capable - like pfsense, then you should be able to setup a VPN on AWS, put a VPN from your firewall to the VPN and setup a VPN on your phone as well, and open the IP of the devices from your phone using NAT.

This is very complicated, and you need to ensure that you are not using the VPN to tunnel traffic at all, as you might be billed for overusage with your card. Of course, it goes without saying that at the end of 12 months, the free trial will be over and you need to make a new AWS account. and you need to repeat everything.

I got a headache reading that first sentence :D.

Let me reach home and open a dictionary and see what all you said :p

Thanks :)[DOUBLEPOST=1470391446][/DOUBLEPOST]Just curious is there any regular ISP in india who give a static IP that is not NATted?

No didnt talk to my isp. When i called the customer care they were blank then finally asked me to goto their shop near my house (the place they have all the switches)

Too lazy to go there

Ok went to my isp's office and i explained to them i need an ip that i can access my pc directly from the internet. They asked me if i wanted a static ip i said i need a static ip and that it shouldn't be NATted behind their ip. They looked confused and finally asked me if i needed to connect my ip camera? They said they give a static ip and people connect their camera to it and the static ip costs Rs 2000 per year.

Is this the correct thing?

Yes. If you want to spend 2K a year and with ease of operation. However, keep in mind that you can be tracked easily then, since your traffic will flow from a single IP.

Yes. If you want to spend 2K a year and with ease of operation. However, keep in mind that you can be tracked easily then, since your traffic will flow from a single IP.
Ahhh ya tracking and the cost.

Will read up the solutions you guys asked me to try today.

Last resort static ip. Is there any isp that provides a static ip free?

Back