[How-to] Flash custom firmware (CFW) for Nokia S60v5 devices

gforce

Adept
A lot of folks have asked me to compile an easy to use guide to flashing custom firmware. Recent advancements in hacking have it possible to create custom ROMs, much like the WinMo and Android scene.

Read through the entire guide multiple times to get an idea of what's needed. For additional safety, do this on your laptop or a desktop that's connected to a UPS.

Disclaimer: While I've ensured that the guide is correct to the best of my knowledge, I take no responsibility if your phone gets bricked.

Pre-requisites:
Windows XP. Use XP Compatibility mode under Vista/7.
Windows Installer 3.1 (pre-installed in 7)
.NET Framework 2.0 (pre-installed in 7)

Stuff to download:
1. Navifirm
2. JAF Flashing tool
3. JAF P-key emulator
4. Nokia Ovi Suite
5. Custom firmware for your phone. Personal recommendations based on stability and ease of use:
For 5800: appleorangefruit's v6 CFW available HERE
For N97: naughtypope's CFW available HERE

a. Start Navifirm, select your phone>latest firmware>Variant>download. For example:
navifirm.png

My phone is a 5800 XpressMusic (RM-356) -- I selected the latest firmware (v40) -- Select the appropriate variant based on the country code -- download all the files by clicking on "All" (if they aren't already checked) and click on "Download from FiRe".
NOTE: If you don't know what a variant/product code is OR your product code doesn't show up on the list of variants for the latest firmware version, click HERE to read all about it. You may need to change your product code before proceeding ahead.
b. Copy all firmware files you just downloaded to : "C:\Program Files\Nokia\Phoenix\Products\RM-356\" (substitute C: for whatever partition is your active one). Create the Phoenix\Products\RM-356 folder hierarchy if it doesn't exist.
step2qh.jpg

Copy the .fpsx CFW file that you downloaded in #5 above to the above folder. Basically, you have to overwrite the original .fpsx file that you downloaded from Navifirm. If the file that you downloaded from Navifirm has the file name (RM356_40.0.005_003_U302.uda.fpsx, just an example), then rename the custom firmware .fpsx file to the same RM356_40.0.005_003_U302.uda.fpsx in a temp directory and then overwrite.
c. Install JAF 1.98.62 (all default options)
d. Extract JAF P-key emulator to the desktop
e. Connect your phone in PC Suite mode
f. Start JAF P-key emulator and click on "GO"
step4z.jpg

g. You'll get a warning/error box - "Box Driver not installed". Click OK
step5h.jpg

h. JAF will start up. Select the BB5 tab. Uncheck "CRT 308". Check "Manual Flash", "Dead USB" and "Use INI"
step6x.jpg

i. From the pop up box that appears, select your phone model (5800XM RM-356 in my case)
step7u.jpg

j. You will see the MCU, PPM, CNT, APE Variant indicators turn green
step8f.jpg

k. Now turn off your phone. Click on the "FLASH" button in JAF, the software will search for the phone.
step8b.jpg

Press the power button briefly (don't hold it), JAF should detect your phone and will start flashing. The actual process takes about a minute. Don't play around with the phone or remove the USB cable since that can have disastrous results.
l. When the flashing process has completed, JAF will restart your phone and you'll have the latest custom firmware installed!
step9z.jpg

m. When your phone restarts, copy files from HERE to E:\Patches on your mSD, run RomPatcher+ on your phone, select "Install Server RP+" and "Open4All RP+", add them to auto and your phone is permanently hacked.

Any questions, just ask!

G@d of w@r said:
can i flash it with phoenix? i already have v40 and should i flash it? hope there will b no hassles

Yes, you can although I've found JAF to be more reliable than Phoenix.

The default v40 provided by Nokia is good but not as good as some of the stuff compiled by cookers.

You can flash a CFW that is based on the same firmware set without any problems. For example, a CFW based on v40 can be flashed. However, downgrading may brick your phone.

Whoops, I seem to have missed a point!

The custom firmware file you download will probably be named something like RM-356_40.0.005_prd.rofs2.V22 (just an example). Rename it to whatever RM-xxxxxxxx.rofs2.Vxx file is present as part of the original firmware set downloaded from navifirm.

The .fpsx file is a customization file. If it isn't present as part of the custom firmware download, you need not worry about it. DO NOT delete/overwrite the original .fpsx file if there is no replacement file in the custom firmware file.

MODS: Could you please include the above post in my original post? After step "b" and before step "c". Editing is disabled on my console.

ed.hardy said:
Nice Tut! Didn't knew that a Nokia phone can be flashed. Pls post some screenshots if you can?

Screen shots of what? The flashing process?

i am not getting this flash process, navifirm doesnt show varients after clicking on 40.0.5.. its so irritating trying since tomo evening..

wat i have is fully working JAF and RM-356_40.0.005_prd.rofs2.V22 file.. how do i go about it? navifirm firmware download is compulsary? should i download all 40.0.5 files as shown from screenshot in navifirm?

flashed mine successfully too.! thx mate..but i didnt get my Rom patcher to work..

I didnt understand this line "copy files from HERE to E:\Patches on your mSD,"

where is this here??

"copy files from HERE to E:\Patches on your mSD,"

the above line says we need to copy something to msd..i dunno what to do in this step..!?

Gad of war
after clicking wait for sometime and disable all ur firewalls..mine took around 3mins to show up after clicking 40.0.5

ram_dante said:
"copy files from HERE to E:\Patches on your mSD,"

the above line says we need to copy something to msd..i dunno what to do in this step..!?

Gad of war

after clicking wait for sometime and disable all ur firewalls..mine took around 3mins to show up after clicking 40.0.5

Guess I forgot to create a hyperlink there. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

The "HERE" was actually meant to point to this file: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Download and extract that zip file and copy those patches to E:\Patches on your mSD. Start ROMPatcher after that and set the patches to run on auto.

G@d of w@r said:
i am not getting this flash process, navifirm doesnt show varients after clicking on 40.0.5.. its so irritating trying since tomo evening..

wat i have is fully working JAF and RM-356_40.0.005_prd.rofs2.V22 file.. how do i go about it? navifirm firmware download is compulsary? should i download all 40.0.5 files as shown from screenshot in navifirm?

You will need the files from navifirm since they're part of the firmware. The rofs2 file is just one small part of the entire ROM. Please check your firewall and see if it's blocking any non-browser initiated outgoing connections.

gforce said:
You will need the files from navifirm since they're part of the firmware. The rofs2 file is just one small part of the entire ROM. Please check your firewall and see if it's blocking any non-browser initiated outgoing connections.

i got all the files downloaded except RM-356_40.0.005_prd.core.C00 can i still flash? how to flash now? im such a noob in nokia flash :( im a geek in WM phones :)

after guts i successfully flashed my V40 :D installed 32mb hack file RM-356_40.0.005_prd.rofs2.V01 renamed it to RM-356_40.0.005_prd.rofs2.V19 n flashed n successfully done.. any links for better feature CFW??

Back