Video How to get 5.1 Dolby sound from Panasonic Vierra 42" LCD L42U30D??

How to get 5.1 Dolby sound from Panasonic Vierra 42" LCD L42U30D??

guys,
I have recently purchased the 42"LCD , Pansonic Vierra LCD L42U30D.I have got the HD channels activated on Airtel DTH.Plus i am thinking of connecting myDesktop to LCD through HDMI cable.(10M, 1.4V)
Now the problem is how to get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound from the LCD .My speakers are 5.1 Logitech Z506.The speakers do not have HMDI port nor any optical connectionl:( .if i want to connect my speakrs to LCD , then how to do it as LCD has HDMI,optical and stereo .(RCA)..

plz help...

- - - Updated - - -

someone plz help...

The speakers might be having an Auxillary input(3.5 mm jack) whereas the TV should have a Auxillary output.This is the only way possible to get sound out of those speakers(as per me).With this method you will get sound out of the speakers not sure about dolby(no knowledge about dolby).
I myself use this connection(Samsung LED to Bose lifestyle 18) and the sound output is as good as it is when i play a Dobly digital DVD.
Hope this helps.:)

@terminater
I have Panasonic Vierra Plasma and have been passing Audio of TV to receiver via ARC. But this is to pass on audio to receiver not a comp.
Here's what I had basically done
-connected receiver to HDMI port on TV (ARC HDMI port )
-enabled ARC on receiver and audio out on TV and voila audio comes out of receiver speakers in proper DD or DTS format as in source.
-one thing is both the devices i have are HDMI1.4 and support ARC. also this worked only with HDMI1.4 cable not with 1.3.

My laptop does not have HDMi port so will not be able check if same thing can work for laptop/desktop but you can try similar think to see if desktop you have has support for ARC. If this works speaker can be connected to desktop and audio will pass on from TV to PC via HDMI and played on speakers connected to PC.

Another thing to try is if your desktop is having optical in, connected optical out on TV to desktop connected with speaker (again never tried this just a thought)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am facing another problem.. I have purchased a HDMI cable and connected my PC with the LCD.Now the resolution on PC is 1280*1024.. after enabling dual display on PC.. i am getting the picture on my LCD but the entire screen is not getting filled up.. In LCD the desktop picture is coming but only 60 percent of the LCD is showing the picture and not the full screen.
How to make the display in LCD full screen..
I want to play games and watch movies on my LCD...(the movies/games will be played from my desktop_)

All above queries are solved... Justt 1 query left. I have connected the HDMi cable. .Dual picture is coming in Desktop and LCD.. only problem is no sound from LCD. How to get the sound of LCD..HDMI cable should transmit both audio and video data... is it so??? if not how to get the sound of LCD...??
Plz help guys.....

@terminater ...was entire screen not filling up due to some setting with aspect ratio of TV ??
Regarding audio not coming from LCD ..you may need to check the audio setting on your desktop. there should be a setting to route audio through desktop's HDMI port
@fLUX
The receiver is one with onkyo HTS3300 HT system. It is HDMI 1.4 compliant and supports ARC.

@maxms... i used the dual display option in desktop nvidia graphics card option and there was a full screen option option.. thats it...

but still no sound coming from lcd.. checked the hd audio settings.. but no help..... plz help...

maxms... i used the dual display option in desktop nvidia graphics card option and there was a full screen option option.. thats it...

but still no sound coming from lcd.. checked the hd audio settings.. but no help..... plz help...

I think you have to change default audio device to hdmi.
try this.. go to control panel> sound device(or similar icon)>Audio tab In Sound Playback (or similar names dropdown) select default device as HDMI.. You may need to restart your PC also.
My laptop do not have HDMI port so am not able to personally check this but on one of my friends laptop this worked.
Another frient having a Dell laptop this transition automatically happens as he connects HDMI cable.

- - - Updated - - -

Also you may need to check if your nvidia graphics card has on board audio controller in first place.
Else there may be some other tweaking to be performed to pass audio from sound card to graphics card hdmi.
DO not have much idea about that ..Graphics card and HT PC gurus can help more on that front.

my system configuration is given below....i have tried to select the Realtek HD audio as primary device instead of Asus Xonar DX sound card..but its not working no sound from LCD... my desktop is 10M away from the LCD..so..cannot shift the desktop speakers near lcd ....
plz geeks.. someone plz help...
Dont know if my card Nvidia(MSI -9600GT ) has onboard audio controller????

my graphics card has SPDIF connection..(found from the nvidia website)

Back