User Guides How to get Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread) on Motorola Defy ....

Hi people,

Some of you might be aware that "Quarx" at xda-developers is working on a gingerbread ROM for Defy. The procedure that is listed on his original thread was somewhat confusing and it's a little difficult to find information about common problems and mistakes. Following is the procedure I used to install Cyanogen Mod7 on my Motorola Defy... I hope it is useful to fellow members who are still on Eclair :S:S and praying that Motorola releases Froyo soon :p:p...

Some IMPORTANT things before you start:

1. Always start the procedures with at least 70% to full charge

2. If you want to make a backup of your apk's, There's a lot of programs to do that (File Explorer, AndroZip, AppMonster, etc.). If you want to backup your configurations too, use Titanium Backup.

How to install CM7 Beta 5.1?

I First flash any Froyo leak of your choice (from here SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers)

II Turn USB Debugging ON

III Root via SuperOneClick

IV Reboot

V Install 2nd Init Recovery Installer 1.4 (from here [APP] 2ndInit Recovery Installer v1.4 [Updated: 7-May-2011] - xda-developers)

VI Turn USB Debugging OFF

VII Reboot your device 2 times

VIII Copy CM7 Beta 5.1, Google Apps 2.3.4 (market, gtalk, etc.) and wakeup_fix.zip to your SD Card

IX Reboot your device, when the blue led lights at Motorola logo, press Volume Down to enter Bootmenu

X
Go to "Set Default Bootmode" then select [2ND INIT BOOT]

XI Go to "[Custom Recovery] start"

XII Select "wipe cache partition" then "wipe data/factory reset"

XIII Select "install zip from sdcard", "choose zip from sdcard", then select "cyanogen_jordan-ota-beta5.1.zip"

XIV Select "choose zip from sdcard" then select "gapps-gb-20110503-signed.zip"

XV Select "choose zip from sdcard", then select "wakeup_fix.zip"

XVI Select "+++++Go Back++++++" then "reboot your system now"

Now wait and CM7 will be loaded.

FAQ:

1) What SBF version to use when flashing CM7?

I'm using 3.4.2-177 Nordic, Quarx (the developer of the ROM) uses 3.4.3-11 UK, but you can use any Froyo leak of your choice. Personally I recommend one of these two.

2) My market is not downloading/installing any program. What to do?

- Just log in Google Talk. Seriously. If this don't solve your problem, close any service from google and clear the cache from market and gtalk. If the problem persists, you can try to go to Custom Recovery and clear the cache from there, but you will lose any configuration made for all your other programs.

3) Flashed CM7 (or any other ROM) now i'm stuck at Motorola logo. What to do?

Go to Custom Recovery then clear cache. If the problem persists, you can try to wipe dalvik cache (in advanced) too. The next boot will take some time to build dalvik cache again. If you don't have Custom Recovery for some reason, power off your phone, press and hold Volume Down + Power to go to Stock Recovery (only to clear cache/wipe data). Use Volume Up + Volume Down to show the options at Stock Recovery.

4) Can I restore my phone to send it to warranty after flashing CM7?

You can in these two situations

a. You have a full SBF of your original ROM (for carriers that already released 2.2 is very easy to find one)

b. You have a nandroid backup AND a fixed SBF of the version you need.

5) How to install CM7 and keep downgrade-ability? (Froyo or Eclair)

If you don't flash the full SBF, your downgrade-ablility is fine. Here's the safe steps to install CM7 to keep your downgrade-ability:

a) Copy nandroid backup of 3.4.2-177 to your sdcard. Uncompress it in the folder clockworkmod/backup/ of your sdcard, create this if needed.

b) Turn USB Debug on

c) Root via SuperOneClick

d) Disable USB Debugging

e) Install Custom Recovery

f) Reboot

g) Go to app System Recovery then install Recovery and Reboot Recovery

h) In Custom Recovery, go to "backup and restore", then "Backup". This will take some time, your backup will be at /clockworkmod/backup. Copy it to a safe place.

i) Still in recovery, go to "backup and restore", "restore", and select the nandroid backup of 3.4.2-177-005 (not your backup!)

j) Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode (if you couldn't enter, remove the battery, wait 10s, put it again with Power and Volume Up pressed)

k) Flash Fixed SBF of 3.4.2-177 via RSD Lite.

l) Now go to question 2 and do all the process to install CM7.

If you want to go back to your original ROM

l) Turn off USB Debuging

m) Copy your nandroid backup to sdcard, put it in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup (must be a folder inside backup)

m) Reboot phone in Bootmenu (Volume Down when the blue led lights at Motorola logo) then go to Custom Recovery

n) Wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache and wipe dalvik cache (in advanced)

o) Choose "backup and restore", "restore", and select your eclair nandroid backup. If your backup doesn't show in this screen, is most likely you placed it in the wrong folder.

p) Reboot your system and immediately press and hold Volume Up to enter Bootloader Mode.

q) Flash the Fixed SBF of your original ROM. Now start from Step 2 of the procedure.

8) Can't connect to my wireless network.

Tap and hold the SSID of the network and select Forget

Download Links:

Cyanogen Mod7 for Defy: Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Froyo Roms : sbf:defy [And Developers]

Superoneclick : Special version SuperOneClick:root froyo/2.51 easily! - xda-developers (attachments)

RSD Lite 4.9 : SBF - Service Flash - all files + fixed sbf + Bootloaders - xda-developers (attachments)

2init for Defy: [APP] 2ndInit Recovery Installer v1.4 [Updated: 7-May-2011] - xda-developers (attachments)

Original Thread:

http://http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=913709

I finally got cm7 today but I'm having major force close issues. initially all media wasnt working, but now I can't download anything from the market. I can see apps but if I try downloading, it force closes.

Some solutions on xda included clearing market dad, logging into gtalk, wiping cache from custom recovery. I tried all that but im still not able to download from market.

Any ideas? :( this is my first custom rom change goddamnit.

hmmm... did you go the direct flash way or the nandroid+fixed sbf way?... The issue that you are facing happen only when either you didn't reboot after rooting or did not clear the caache before installing the zip...

What you can do is start from nordic 177 nandroid+nordic fixed sbf flash via rsdlite>enable usb debugging>root>reboot>install 2init ver 1.4>disable usb debugging>reboot twice>choose 2init as default boot>go into custom recovery>wipe cache>wipe data>install the 4 packages>reboot...

It is pretty straightforward...

if you face any issues still lemme know...

^ yes, CM7 can be any day downgraded to Indian 2.2 firmware. It was only that after going the flash straightaway via rsdlte that you couldn't go back to 2.1...

Dude, just got my Defy. DId you notice the Vodaphone services popping up every time you unlock the phone? Any fix?

Will root and flash CM 7 in the coming week. Thnx for the detailed steps.

I was on 2.1 last night, then on searching the XDA forums i found out that 2.2 Froyo was released for India, so i installed that, but it gave me Reception problem, also 2ndInit did not install on it for some reason, so i installed Pay's Froyo ROM and it was stable, then i was able to install 2ndInit, after which i successfully installed Gingerbread, but it also had reception problem, but it has this app called DEFY Baseband, where i set it to UK and its working fine since then

Today i just flashed with this Cyanogenmod 7 Firmware its amazing but when i started to installing Clockmodwork Recovery my defy just get restarted and it stuck at starting screen i trying to get on the bootloader there's no option for "install from zip " so please there any chance to recover my OS/FW ???

Slightly OT here-Will I be able to install these modded firmwares if I'm using a Macbook pro.Will I need to install windows 7 on my mac in order to mod my android phone ?

Maya2009 said:
Today i just flashed with this Cyanogenmod 7 Firmware its amazing but when i started to installing Clockmodwork Recovery my defy just get restarted and it stuck at starting screen i trying to get on the bootloader there's no option for "install from zip " so please there any chance to recover my OS/FW ???

After that i read this thread and i just did what it say but after that i got problem for installation of clockworkmod but somehow i installed another version of clockworkmod but when i try to restore nandroid backup but it get stuck.....

please anyone know how to upgrade 2.1 to 2.2 !!

Common Problems/Questions

The most common problems I’ve seen on forums, and hence I decided to write this Guide are:

Black Screens when booting up: Tried to install a version of Android with a lower CG Version than the one currently on the phone.

Weird behavior after installing a Fixed SBF: Install a matching Nandroid backup with your SBF, and remember to clear Cache/Dalvik Cache using Recovery.

Installed full Gingerbread SBF and can’t go back to another rom: aha! We have a issue here!, latest Stock Gingerbread full SBFs comes with a Version 5 of the CG, meaning until not long ago you were pretty much screwed. But wait, there is hope! A one kind Éclair has been found in China Defys that comes with Version 5 CG!.

How to fix it:

Download this SBF and Flash it

Root your Phone

Download 2nd Init 1.4.2 and Install ClockworkMod Recovery

Download and install this Nandroid Backup

Enter Recovery, Wipe Data/Cache

After wiping, turn off your phone

Turn it on and get immediately into Bootloader mode

Flash this Fixed SBF

Delete Data/Cache again and reboot.

Please help me out in this cause i bricked this phone very badly !! :SOS:

Back