How to get rid of mosquitoes?

Plus

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I'm kinda new here. Been lurking for over a year or so on this forum (even before I made this account) to absorb all the gyan that's being shared here and to keep an eye on the deals. However, despite all the helpful and amazing ideas and suggestions that are being thrown around, I can't find a solution to this trivial issue - how does one get rid of mosquitoes??

I've tried various things from UV lights (which imo doesn't work) to liquid vaporizers (mosquitoes still don't have problem sucking blood when when it's on) to those spiral coils that you burn (which I think is moderately effective but i have to suffer with the mosquitoes :c). The only thing that is even helpful for me is using those nets around my bed. But I have this really bad habit of rolling around my bed while I'm asleep. Enough rolling around to pull away the net. And the net still doesn't help when I'm doing other stuff besides sleeping.

Tried to prevent the cause of mosquitoes too by installing a net mesh on windows and doors, not letting open stagnant water in bathrooms and kitchens when I go to sleep etc. but I'm at my wits end since despite all my actions, those blood sucking mini vampires keep finding their way to my body. Sometimes the only solution to this problem seems to be to accept the fact that these annoying insects are a part of my life and there's nothing more I can do about it but if anyone has any ways that worked for them, to stop them from causing me anemia and possibly various other problems, I'd be happy to hear them. You'd be saving my life and probably the life of various other people.

(PS : I may have exaggerated some things but its still a major nuisance.
And I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to post. I read some posts about newbies not able able to use marketplace and technology I think? So I'm not sure which forums I have or don't have access to. Not that this post fits in either of those places anyway. And since this is my first post I thought it would be fine here. Apologies to mods if this shitpost doesn't belong here; feel free to delete it. Also, anyone know why I get an error when I try to upload profile pic? Or a workaround?)

Have good bath before sleep, mosquitos get attract by sweat smell/perfume etc.
Try to keep dusting/broom everyday every nook/corner of your home.
Burn some dried NEEM LEAVES in dhoopdani.
Buy electric racket to kill mosquito's 5-10 minutes before going to bed.
Mosquito net is 100% Safe & Tested (for your lungs health), also if you keep using same brand mosquito repellent, than you will find that soon mosquito stop replying it (may be they get addicted of same fragrance/smell etc.)
If there is NO DIRECT SUN LIGHT in your flat and your apartment's near by area is wet/dirty with open sewage-gutter/lot of bushes'/trees etc. ... than sorry.. nothing can really prove 100% but will help some extent.

NOTE: Few month back was with friend to enquire about some property and the care taker told that if you have habit of washing your clothes regularly still water will be suffice for you... and we both start think that my god people in good apartments/flats don't wash their clothes regularly or what?

Last edited:
You can't stop mosquitoes completely if there are a lot of mosquitoes in your locality. Depending on where you live, you might try getting fumigation done by the municipal corporation or get the people in your neighborhood sensitized to the problem and address the root cause.

Garbage heaps, stagnant water, dirty patches which haven't been cleaned in years, can all lead to mosquitoes.

The other thing to do is to keep your windows closed during the evenings as that's when mosquitoes are most active.

The only thing that is even helpful for me is using those nets around my bed. But I have this really bad habit of rolling around my bed while I'm asleep. Enough rolling around to pull away the net.
The net is still 1000% effective against mosquitos. I have been using it for more than 2 decades and now I can't sleep without the safety of a mosquito net. And net protects you from all insects like cockroaches and lizards etc.

The mosquitos evolve very fast. When I came to reside at my current place, we had big-boi mosquitos. Now, current get mosquitos are tiny and stealthy as they don't make any sound. These new-gen mosquitos aren't bothered by most mosquito repellants. Mosquito net still remains the most effective weapon against them.

not letting open stagnant water in bathrooms and kitchens when I go to sleep
Did you read this in a generic Healthline or govt article? :p It doesn't work like that. Mosquitos need stagnant water to give birth. The turnaround time for the mosquito reproduction cycle is 7 days or more. So you have a problem with water only if water is stagnant for a week at least. And not just your house but you have to keep the area within a 50-100 meters radius of your house stagnant water free.

Honestly, mosquito eradication is easy if the community or local govt is willing. We have enjoyed a decade-long mosquito-free period. But now my city is going through never-ending development. The water stops at many places leading to mosquito infestation. One hour every week with a drone to find stagnant water is enough to eradicate mosquitos. But it'll happen only when some COVID-like emergency arises with a mosquito-borne disease.

-
Apart from mosquito nets, Odomas works. I don't think it's a permanent option though as there's no clue how much of the Odomas chemical gets absorbed into your system.

Another thing that helps is bright light. If you install a few tube lights in your room, you'll find mosquitos stop bothering you. Mosquitos don't like bright light.

I was personally very affected by mosquitos biting me under my computer table. I tried Allout but couldn't take its fumes. I then installed a whole 5-meter-long led strip under my desk and behind the monitors. 95% mosquito bites have stopped. Plus it creates even lighting around my PC which is a relief for my eyes.

1691842263654.png

Odomas works.
yes it does. I try to keep windows closed, esp from before dark but when they pass through then i use odomas. Also this problem is usually around winter, So i wear long sleeve shirt + full pant + socks and only apply on exposed areas to minimize how much odomas i need. So basically on hands, little bit on feet around socks edge in case it gets exposed + lightly around neck and small bit behind ears. Usually works.

It is said that mosquitos enter houses after 3:30-4pm - 5pm, turn on Good Night mosquito repellent at that time. Later by 5pm, turn off Good Night mosquito repellent, put ceiling fans in high speed. Will repel all mosquitos trying to enter house, push out those already entered.
Nets around all air ventilators, windows, etc. are first and best filter against mosquitos.

Being a lighting consultant for homes and hospitality industry since 14 years now.
Please have a look at this chart.

1691900575257.png

Image courtesy: Sunco.com

When you do the cove lighting, or any kind of lighting in house. Ensure you put
3000k warmwhite light.
Also can use 2700k as used in premium hospitality industry.
PS: Warmwhite doesnt mean the light is hotter than usual. Temperature depends on wattage. And Color temperature has nothing to do with air temperature.
So go for lights with efficiency of more than 100lumens/watt and color temperature <= 3000k.
Hence temperature/heat of light should be low, but light should be bright. And color temperature should be low.

This way, your body's melatonin production, sleep cycle, all benefit.
Want more clarity on lighting up your home/office/factory, feel free to ping me :)

Last edited:
I take pride in keeping my house almost bug free. No cockroaches, no rats, no ants no nothing. Shoot on sight for all, thanks largely to Red hit, and keeping the garden clean with bleaching powder.
Except for mosquitos. And we don't have a single window which isn't netted. Even all the ventilators are netted.
Therefore my advice is don't waste time, and learn to adjust your lifestyle. Put on that mosquito net thingy before sleep. Unhook it when you are done. You must do this chore every single day. It's the worst thing I do every day, but I have to. I also roll around my bed during sleep, but how do you take away the net with you I don't get. I tuck the net in well in the mattress.
And keep a bloody mosquito raquet around. Kill every single one of them when you can.
That underdesk light thingy is excellent advice. These buggers will bite you in the dark. They make my life hell when I game on my computer, must but those led strips. Thanks for the advice. Please post a link to the product. I mean something which is easy to install pls can't do DIY
@lockhrt999

Try to keep dusting/broom everyday every nook/corner of your home.
Burn some dried NEEM LEAVES in dhoopdani.
Buy electric racket to kill mosquito's 5-10 minutes before going to bed.
Mosquito net is 100% Safe & Tested (for your lungs health), also if you keep using same brand mosquito repellent, than you will find that soon mosquito stop replying it (may be they get addicted of same fragrance/smell etc.)
If there is NO DIRECT SUN LIGHT in your flat and your apartment's near by area is wet/dirty with open sewage-gutter/lot of bushes'/trees etc. ... than sorry.. nothing can really prove 100% but will help some extent.

NOTE: Few month back was with friend to enquire about some property and the care taker told that if you have habit of washing your clothes regularly still water will be suffice for you... and we both start think that my god people in good apartments/flats don't wash their clothes regularly or what?
+1 to burning dried neem leaves. Though you should keep the room closed and no person entering that room for 1-2 hours.

I just use Mama Earth anti-mosquito roll on. effective for 8hrs.
also have mosquito nets on windows and mosquito door nets.

btw taking a bath before sleep wont help much. mosquitos can detect minute odors, co2 and also use body temperature and visual cues.

Has anybody here got their walls sprayed by DEET? Is that effective and lasting? Most methods stop working after some time as mosquitos evolve. DEET is something they have not been able to counter yet and no wonder Odomos is working effectively for me from a long time.

I've tried various things from UV lights (which imo doesn't work) to liquid vaporizers (mosquitoes still don't have problem sucking blood when when it's on) to those spiral coils that you burn (which I think is moderately effective but i have to suffer with the mosquitoes :c). The only thing that is even helpful for me is using those nets around my bed. But I have this really bad habit of rolling around my bed while I'm asleep. Enough rolling around to pull away the net. And the net still doesn't help when I'm doing other stuff besides sleeping.

Tried to prevent the cause of mosquitoes too by installing a net mesh on windows and doors, not letting open stagnant water in bathrooms and kitchens when I go to sleep etc. but I'm at my wits end since despite all my actions, those blood sucking mini vampires keep finding their way to my body. Sometimes the only solution to this problem seems to be to accept the fact that these annoying insects are a part of my life and there's nothing more I can do about it but if anyone has any ways that worked for them, to stop them from causing me anemia and possibly various other problems, I'd be happy to hear them. You'd be saving my life and probably the life of various other people.
How many are we talking about?

You sleep under a net and have installed mesh on all your windows and doors. That is the best you can do. If you still have mosquitoes then you have a leak somewhere.

Keep all doors closed from late afternoon to early evening. This is when they are most active, this is also a time not to be outdoors unless smeared in Odomos.

Apparently after 8 pm, they don't come in even when the main door is open.

Do you know what else helps? a ceiling fan. Causes too much turbulence. Sleep under a fan if you can.
Not sweat but carbon dioxide. What you exhale. Any trap that claims to attract mosquitoes has to have that feature to be effective
Apart from mosquito nets, Odomas works. I don't think it's a permanent option though as there's no clue how much of the Odomas chemical gets absorbed into your system.
Tested that by sitting on the porch with just shorts on in the evening in an area with open sewers. Just two of them came near me. Effective for four hours. After you need to reapply.

Odomos has DEET, a low % that's proven to work.
Another thing that helps is bright light. If you install a few tube lights in your room, you'll find mosquitos stop bothering you. Mosquitos don't like bright light.

I was personally very affected by mosquitos biting me under my computer table. I tried Allout but couldn't take its fumes. I then installed a whole 5-meter-long led strip under my desk and behind the monitors. 95% mosquito bites have stopped. Plus it creates even lighting around my PC which is a relief for my eyes.

View attachment 175397
Very interesting. I'd have thought the opposite. That it would attract them.
That underdesk light thingy is excellent advice. These buggers will bite you in the dark. They make my life hell when I game on my computer, must but those led strips. Thanks for the advice. Please post a link to the product. I mean something which is easy to install pls can't do DIY
Wouldn't a simple emergency light do? They're LED so shouldn't need a strip. Cheaper the better as the light will be dim to begin with.

Last edited:
I have seen these conditions, and you have to do a few things to sleep in peace.

1. Nets for your Windows so Mosquitos don't enter. Make sure no Gaps, Keep your Doors closed, Specially for Bedroom.
2. Get a Mosquito Repellant like GoodKnight/All Out, Or those old Mosquito Coils for your bedroom.
3. Get a Good Mosquito Net for your Bed, It is cheap, You just have to make sure no bugger is inside before you sleep.
4. Get the electric bat which zaps them, 10 mins of Fun sport and you can have a peaceful night.

All the best...! Wishing you peaceful nights sleep.

There is the old school way too. A couple of pegs after a meal. Knocks you out and takes care of any potential food poisoning as well :D
Do your findings agree with this article? that you are mostly repelling night biting mosquitos rather than day biting ones

Last edited:
They make my life hell when I game on my computer, must but those led strips. Thanks for the advice. Please post a link to the product. I mean something which is easy to install pls can't do DIY
@lockhrt999
Nothing DIY in that. Get yourself an LED strip with a warm tone. Brighter = less mosquito bites. 120 led/meter is a good density.

something like this

https://www.amazon.in/Gesto-Waterproof-Ceiling-Chritmas-Decoration/dp/B08KP7FJT3

You can stick it under your desk all by itself or use tape. Plug its AC adapter into UPS or powerstrip. Make sure your legs get drenched with light from all sides. Currently, my calves don't get enough light so they get all the bites. I might put some LEDs on an adjacent wall to cover my calves.

Wouldn't a simple emergency light do? They're LED so shouldn't need a strip. Cheaper the better as the light will be dim to begin with.
You need a bright light. Brighter = less mosquito bites.

Very interesting. I'd have thought the opposite. That it would attract them.
Flyes get attracted to light. Mosquitos don't.

Do your findings agree with this article? that you are mostly repelling night biting mosquitos rather than day biting ones
It says female mosquitos bite in daylight. I have no idea about the genders of mosquitos that bite me. :p

I just use Mama Earth anti-mosquito roll on.
I have used roll-on from the Good Night brand and it was 0% effective. Is mama earth better?

Back