User Guides How to install Win 8 from Pendrive(usb)

IMPORTANT:
1.Make sure you have the win 8 iso,or DVD.If you have the iso,then mount it.

Here are the steps :
1) Put the Windows DVD in a drive (or mount the ISO) and make note of the drive letter. In my case it is drive G:
2) Put in the USB Thumb Drive Key in the computer and make note of the drive letter and the size of the disk. In my case it is E:
3) You need to run an elevated command prompt. Start | type cmd | Right-click cmd (top of menu) | Run as Administrator
4) Next you will run Diskpart to prepare the disk for the OS
{question mark “?” below should be replaced with the disk number of the drive you are using}

diskpart

list disk

select disk ?

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format fs=ntfs quick

exit

Leaving DiskPart...

5) Now we need to copy the boot sector. You should still be in the command prompt window.
type "CHDIR /D G:\Boot (Replace "G" with your Win 8 dvd drive letter or mounted drive letter)

then type
"bootsect /nt60 E:" (Replace "E:" with the drive letter assigned to your usb flash drive)

you will see a confirmation that bootcode was successfully updated.

6) Now just copy everything from the win 8 dvd or mounted iso to your flash drive and your bootable pen drive's ready.

Finally, follow these instructions to install Windows 8 on your computer.

1. Remove your USB flash drive from your "source" computer and insert it into the "target" computer where you want to install Windows 8
  2. On the computer where you are installing Windows 8, press the power button to turn on the computer
  3. During boot up, select the USB flash drive to boot from (if you don't see the USB flash drive as an option, you may have to adjust your BIOS settings)
  4. Follow the instructions to install Windows 8

that tool doesn't work with unofficially(probably even official,haven't tried yet) sourced win 8 iso's(i have tried doing it and so i know) and thus i have posted this method.there are other guides online but they all are too ambiguous about the usage of CHDIR which may pose a problem for cmd/DOS newbies.(also they use XCOPY commands for simply copying the stuff,how lame is that)

that tool doesn't work with unofficially(probably even official,haven't tried yet) sourced win 8 iso's(i have tried doing it and so i know) and thus i have posted this method.there are other guides online but they all are too ambiguous about the usage of CHDIR which may pose a problem for cmd/DOS newbies.(also they use XCOPY commands for simply copying the stuff,how lame is that)

Well i can confirm it works with both official and unofficial win 8. I recently used it to install win 8 pro. :)

There's also a tool called Universal USB Installer. This tool creates a bootable usb flash drive out of specified Operating System's iso file. Then, we can simply boot from the usb pen drive and install the specified os.

well i tried yesterday and it didn't work,anyway this one also works.

it is an issue with the pen drive. some pen drives go undetectable after the first format. and hence the copying of the ISo is interrupted.

the issue was with the slower sandisk pen drive. the MS tool works well on transcend pen drives.

hp usb disk formatting works great for me :D
just format to ntfs like normal formatting in quick mode and just copy every thing from the ISO or disk and enable boot from usb in bios ;)

Back