How to learn advance java

preet

Disciple
Hi.....
I am a B.Tech 3rd year student.I want to learn advance java.If someone can suggest name of any site available for this or any other way , then give ur suggestion to me.......

U can search on google and find various guides and tutorials on advanced java topics which include(Swing,JDBC....etc) and for more u can always ask help on sun java forums for specific topics.

:) I always find books more helpful then random sites.

First of all is what is your current level? :):)

1. Are you speaking of only core JAVA? A good book like say Deitel and Deitel is necessary for a solid background.

2. The head first series of books are also good if you intend to start from the very beginning and then move up.

3. Then you can move on to say looking at a few datastructures and algorithms with java books.

4. I guess once you are done with this you can move to related technologies..

JSP,Servlets or frameworks like JSF and Struts.

If you are a bit more specific on what you are looking at I might be able to help you

I think Advanced Java - How To program (Deitel & Deitel) is an excellent place to start... They have nice design principles that they also teach. You can later try and replicate a few other projects after finishing each chapter from the book!!

Core Java 2, Volume I - Fundamentals

Core Java 2, Volume II - Advanced Features

Core Servlets And Java Server Pages Volume 1 Core Technologies

Look for these books , they are really helpful.

raj_pol said:
:) I always find books more helpful then random sites.

First of all is what is your current level? :):)

1. Are you speaking of only core JAVA? A good book like say Deitel and Deitel is necessary for a solid background.

2. The head first series of books are also good if you intend to start from the very beginning and then move up.

3. Then you can move on to say looking at a few datastructures and algorithms with java books.

4. I guess once you are done with this you can move to related technologies..

JSP,Servlets or frameworks like JSF and Struts.

If you are a bit more specific on what you are looking at I might be able to help you

Thanks.But I need some more help.Actually I have read only Herbt Schidt(The Complete Reference) for Core java & also have made a dull project in it.But now I want to learn advance java.So book u r suggesting , Is it for advance java.I have already knowledge of core java.

:) Advanced JAVA in many ways would be a specific extension of what you have learned in core JAVA.

Now you will get specific books only on JAVA multithreading, networking etc.

I would say covering up DATA structures in JAVA would be a good way to proceed.

You would be understanding how actually the collections framework works...

And while you are at it you might also like to get to the basics of JSP and servlets.

Buying a generic book on advanced JAVA will not help you much as you will get single chapters on threading, lots of swings and awt and networking which actually merit individual books by themselves

preet said:
Thanks.But I need some more help.Actually I have read only Herbt Schidt(The Complete Reference) for Core java & also have made a dull project in it.But now I want to learn advance java.So book u r suggesting , Is it for advance java.I have already knowledge of core java.

Yes, Advanced Java - How To Program (Deitel & Deitel) is the most awesome book on advanced java having a lot of advanced stuff...

I really hate Complete Reference, coz they seemed to have missed a lot of stuff...and its very generic for a student whose learning Java...its only good for reference (doesnt suit me.. but may suit others as a reference), but not learning java!!

^^:)True I have been studing that book from a long time and I still find a lot to learn everytime I open it...

Some of the programming exercises are pretty challenging too

Back