How to learn Piano/Keyboard at home?

blkrb0t

It's Nothing Personal
Skilled
I have a keyboard at home lying unused: a Yamaha PSR-E423,. I bought it when I was in college, but forgot about it after a few months of practice. It's looks practically new even now.

How can I learn it at home? I don't want to attend any classes. I want to learn it just as a hobby, perhaps get to play a few songs in the future.

Any keyboardists/musicians here?

Practice a lot. Specially scales and chords. Don't dive straight into songs, this is more critical for pianists than self-taught guitarists.

Three things: Muscle memory, ear training, and prevention of CTS (again, more common in pianists than guitarists). Reading music will help a lot and it's pretty easy to learn sheet music using a piano as each note exists only once, unlike stringed instruments which have overlapping octaves.

There is much less in terms of resources for pianists online than for guitarists (I play a bit of both). However there are some good forums, and all seem to point to the fact that practice and reading music seem to be at the top of the requirements list. And there is tons of written music available online so it opens up a wonderful repertoire if you learn to read.

Good Luck!

Back