Mac OS how to make a bootable usb ?

neojjjk

Skilled
Hi,
now I am using win7 os 64 bit in my netbook .I would like to try mac .can you please advice me how to make a bootable usb of mac ?
(I don't have a mac pc/laptop,I have a netbook with win7 only .)

Thanks

If the process for making is same for all os then it's simple :D just download this HP Formatting tool from - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool Software Informer: Latest version download, news and info about this Hewlett-Packard Company program. Windows based Drive Format Utility from HP for USB Flash Drives.

and so just format the usb in FAT32 option selected , want to use as bootable one and the just copy the files from the drive/ISO copy to the usb :D

that's all

I think this my help you out :D

i always use it the same way and is fun and short time consuming :p

tested for windows & Linux :D

u try for mac ;)

This is the method I use:

1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.

2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.

3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:

DISKPART and hit enter.

LIST DISK and hit enter.

Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.

4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.

SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)
ASSIGN

EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D†as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “G†as my USB drive letter.

6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

6.1. Change directory to the DVD’s boot directory where bootsect lives:
d:
cd d:\boot

6.2. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. I’m assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk G:\ by the computer:
bootsect /nt60 g:

(Where “G†is your USB drive letter)

7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.

You are done with your bootable USB. You can now use this bootable USB as bootable DVD on any computer that comes with USB boot feature (most of the current motherboards support this feature).

Note that this bootable USB guide will not work if you are trying to make a bootable USB on XP computer.

There probably is a much simpler method to do this, but this has worked every time for me and I dont need to install any separate software.

It depends upon the OS.

If OS does not allow booting from any other media than optical media then the usb has to be emulated as optical media.

and then also it is not guaranteed to work flawlessly.

is it not much easier as well less time consuming to use a re-writable dvd if it is just for testing purpose?

booting linux OS installations from usb is much easier and the process can be found on ubuntu's website.

it all depends on u'r motherboard as if it don't have the usb boot option then u can't boot so nothing to do with usb :)

linux ( ubuntu ) do provide a usb formatting and installation software and the software i have mention is much more quicker then that of what methed " pretttt " have mentioned ;)

just give it a try :D

download it from hp site and then see the simple work been done :D

trust me i have been using it now for more the 2 years :D

don't use the above link i provide as it's dead but u can always have google it u can find it ;)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

it all depends on u'r motherboard as if it don't have the usb boot option then u can't boot so nothing to do with usb :)

linux ( ubuntu ) do provide a usb formatting and installation software and the software i have mention is much more quicker then that of what methed " pretttt " have mentioned ;)

just give it a try :D

download it from hp site and then see the simple work been done :D

trust me i have been using it now for more the 2 years :D

don't use the above link i provide as it's dead but u can always have google it u can find it ;)

mate do you know how to create bootable usb for mac os ?

pretttt said:
This is the method I use:

1. Insert your USB (4GB+ preferable) stick to the system and backup all the data from the USB as we are going to format the USB to make it as bootable.

2. Open elevated Command Prompt. To do this, type in CMD in Start menu search field and hit Ctrl + Shift + Enter. Alternatively, navigate to Start > All programs >Accessories > right click on Command Prompt and select run as administrator.

3. When the Command Prompt opens, enter the following command:

DISKPART and hit enter.

LIST DISK and hit enter.

Once you enter the LIST DISK command, it will show the disk number of your USB drive. In the below image my USB drive disk no is Disk 1.

4. In this step you need to enter all the below commands one by one and hit enter. As these commands are self explanatory, you can easily guess what these commands do.

SELECT DISK 1 (Replace DISK 1 with your disk number)

CLEAN

CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY

SELECT PARTITION 1

ACTIVE

FORMAT FS=NTFS

(Format process may take few seconds)

ASSIGN

EXIT

Don’t close the command prompt as we need to execute one more command at the next step. Just minimize it.

5. Insert your Windows DVD in the optical drive and note down the drive letter of the optical drive and USB media. Here I use “D” as my optical (DVD) drive letter and “G” as my USB drive letter.

6. Go back to command prompt and execute the following commands:

6.1. Change directory to the DVD’s boot directory where bootsect lives:

d:

cd d:\boot

6.2. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. I’m assuming that your USB flash drive has been labeled disk G:\ by the computer:

bootsect /nt60 g:

(Where “G” is your USB drive letter)

7. Copy Windows DVD contents to USB.

You are done with your bootable USB. You can now use this bootable USB as bootable DVD on any computer that comes with USB boot feature (most of the current motherboards support this feature).

Note that this bootable USB guide will not work if you are trying to make a bootable USB on XP computer.

There probably is a much simpler method to do this, but this has worked every time for me and I dont need to install any separate software.

guys my moterboard has usb boot option .

I tried HP usb application. but it shows this message -- there are no DOS system files at the valid location

transmac is the only way you can make a bootable out of a dmg. if you are using a iBoot + multibeast method then use a spare USB and use YUMI/USB Linux 123 and choose unlisted ISO and select iBoot . And use transmac to copy over the mac*.dmg to USB and follow procedure. If using iAtkos then transmac will do the job . Had tested it long time back :) . Was working with OX_SL and iAtkos_L2.

transmac is the only way you can make a bootable out of a dmg. if you are using a iBoot + multibeast method then use a spare USB and use YUMI/USB Linux 123 and choose unlisted ISO and select iBoot . And use transmac to copy over the mac*.dmg to USB and follow procedure. If using iAtkos then transmac will do the job . Had tested it long time back :) . Was working with OX_SL and iAtkos_L2.

Transmac FTW!

Back