How to make an old fridge look new from the outside?

chetan99

Disciple
Have an old fridge that works beautifully but has started to show it's age from the outside, the original was what seems to be sheet metal painted with a fake brushed metal finish paint, and that paint has come off in places where people's hands touch. We got used to seeing it but it sticks out in our new house where everything else is shining. I believe the new ones in the market are exposed unpainted stainless steel which would age better I guess but I don't want to buy a new fridge just for cosmetic reasons.

My basic googling has suggested me vinyl wraps but the issue is there are none precisely cut for fridges, so would require some vinyl wrapping skill. I saw very few people doing it on youtube, so guessing there's a good reason why people don't do it. Painting it is not easy either because I don't see any obvious way to take the handles off this door, seems to be pretty much not meant to be taken apart. Has anyone done something like this or seen someone else do it?

Painting it is not easy either because I don't see any obvious way to take the handles off this door, seems to be pretty much not meant to be taken apart.
everything on a fridge can be taken apart except the compressor for safety reasons. fridges are very simple machines.

example for LG fridge (turn off power first if you dont want to get shock. Sometimes the screw holding the handles act like ground and if earthing is not proper, you will get shock)

Couldn't find a similar video on how to take the handles apart on my fridge, prying it is kind of risky as you can break the tabs, good to know it's potentially a option. If I can take the handles off I think I'll be able to do a vinyl wrap.

Have an old fridge that works beautifully but has started to show it's age from the outside, the original was what seems to be sheet metal painted with a fake brushed metal finish paint, and that paint has come off in places where people's hands touch. We got used to seeing it but it sticks out in our new house where everything else is shining.

I believe the new ones in the market are exposed unpainted stainless steel which would age better I guess but I don't want to buy a new fridge just for cosmetic reasons.
Can you post a photo so we can see what looks like?

Can you post a photo so we can see what looks like?

Screenshot_20240111-234930_Gallery.png

Oh so rather than a spot fix you want a vinyl wrap for the whole fridge?

This thing car detailers will be able to do.

Seeing the price they quote for cars they'll probably charge more than the cost of the fridge itself
Dirt cheap if you do it yourself . Adequately available on Amazon and FK . I have same refrigerator and had installed this wrap/skin 4/5 years back
Its started to now peel off but worth the price

Last edited:
Dirt cheap if you do it yourself . Adequately available on Amazon and FK . I have same refrigerator and had installed this wrap/skin 4/5 years back
Its started to now feel off but worth the price
Oh that's great, can you please show some pics of how you wrapped it. Even if it's not as good looking now.

Post a photo. Let's see your handy work :)
Dont laugh , skin is peeling off where uses max . I think same model as OP
@chetan99 Its backup now , but i think purchase year is 2005 or 06 . Its just stacked up with full spices from Kerla and dry fruits
The freezer contains my dogs 10 days meat brought from butcher
Repaired twice from Samsung service in full life for the issue you guys wont believe - it started freezing everything in normal fridge compartment with the deep freeze one . Some motor got burnt and they charged me 3k i think 3/4 years back
Wanted to sell off but no ones giving more than 3/4k when new fridge same capacity costs upwards 25k . So i decided fcuk it , i am keeping it instead of selling it in 3/4k
In 20/21 picked up this LG 437 L 3 Star Inverter Wi-Fi Refrigerator GL-T432FASN - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MD7PBRX/
But this badass Samsung is still working fine . Dont have the energy now to remove all this wallpaper , scrap/clean it off and apply new so this guy will continue to be backup till it dies and after dying might make it my garden storage box as seen in recent Youtube garden beautician projects;)
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-12 at 23.26.47_98daad83.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-12 at 23.30.14_2d0bf45a.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-12 at 23.30.14_2d0bf45a.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Dont laugh , skin is peeling off where uses max .
Oh wow, that's pretty cool. Thought you'd have gone with some solid colour. More interesting choice here.

As a proof of concept this is definitely doable. You should have kept some spare for touch up fixes later. You'll never find this design now.

Last edited:
Oh wow, that's pretty cool. Thought you'd have gone with some solid colour. More interesting choice here.

As a proof of concept this is definitely doable. You should have kept some spare for touch up fixes later. You'll never find this design now.
It was spare/extra , lost it long back

Dont laugh , skin is peeling off where uses max . I think same model as OP
@chetan99 Its backup now , but i think purchase year is 2005 or 06 . Its just stacked up with full spices from Kerla and dry fruits
The freezer contains my dogs 10 days meat brought from butcher
Repaired twice from Samsung service in full life for the issue you guys wont believe - it started freezing everything in normal fridge compartment with the deep freeze one . Some motor got burnt and they charged me 3k i think 3/4 years back
Wanted to sell off but no ones giving more than 3/4k when new fridge same capacity costs upwards 25k . So i decided fcuk it , i am keeping it instead of selling it in 3/4k
In 20/21 picked up this LG 437 L 3 Star Inverter Wi-Fi Refrigerator GL-T432FASN - https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07MD7PBRX/
But this badass Samsung is still working fine . Dont have the energy now to remove all this wallpaper , scrap/clean it off and apply new so this guy will continue to be backup till it dies and after dying might make it my garden storage box as seen in recent Youtube garden beautician projects;)
View attachment 187995
Yes we have the exact same model. Mine was not serviced for anything, bought late 2000s. Glad to have made this post because what are the chances of finding someone with the exact same model lol.

Any tips for wrapping it? How did you cut it around the handles?

They don't mention the name or model of fridge there and people in the comments seem to all have different fridges. You sure that's the right link? Do they take the model name somewhere else?
No idea about right link . My purchase it old and thats the design i have

I have the 471L model :)

You must have seen my thread from 2019
But this badass Samsung is still working fine . Dont have the energy now to remove all this wallpaper , scrap/clean it off and apply new so this guy will continue to be backup till it dies
Good to have a backup. I didn't have space for it

What is the volume of your Samsung btw?

Back