How to Sell & Ship food items outside India ??

Praks

Skilled
Dear all,

Looking for options to sell food & general items (Exotic Veggies, Fruits, Perfume oils) for people residing in & outside India.

Requirement is to have function on the site which allows US/UK & other countries to pay in USD/Pound etc.
Currency accepted in INR, USD, GBP, AUD at the most.

Currently no plans to buy a web space (host gator) or use cart like Magento

Have 2 options in mind,

Use of ONLINE STORE - Ready Platforms
Buildabazaar.com
martjack.com
shopify.com
zepo.in
indiagetonline.in (By Google, Basic Store)
smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ecommerce

Can someone tell which platform is good for such requirement ?

Use of ONLINE STORE - India websites
ebay.in - Easy to register & Sell
tradus.com - Easy to register & Sell
flipkart.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
infibeam.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
homeshop18.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
yebhi.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
Any other store ?

ONLINE STORE - Abroad
ebay.com - How to sell on international platform ?
amazon.com - There is something call Amazon merchants, How to participate in this program from India ?

Are there anyother big online store (bestbuy etc) which allows such products ?

Please also suggest name of good International Shipping & freight forwarders

Gati has this service where it couriers food items like haleem/biryani from Hyderabad to rest of India. Maybe you can approach them?

Gati has this service where it couriers food items like haleem/biryani from Hyderabad to rest of India. Maybe you can approach them?

Thank you. Can you give your view on ONLINE STORE - Ready Platforms ? Hows buildabazaar.com & ebay.com - How to sell on international platform ?

Do Amazon and ebay even sell foods? Aren't they hard to manage and ship as they're perishable?

^ Both sell foods and eBay has recently launched an international food section where they get packed food from abroad for a reasonable price. Check their home page for the link!

Do Amazon and ebay even sell foods? Aren't they hard to manage and ship as they're perishable?
Yes, they do as I have seen few products there but not sure how to tie up with Amazon being in India.
Food products like fruits are not totally ripe so it would not be trouble to ship them.

^ Both sell foods and eBay has recently launched an international food section where they get packed food from abroad for a reasonable price. Check their home page for the link!

international food section works on shipping from USA to India. How about selling item to US & ship to USA from India.

time2shop is using martjack. He can tell you more about it.
Thank you, Are you aware of any Platforms which will allow US/UK people to pay in USD/GBP ?

Can anyone tell me, Is it possible to be a seller on ebay.com while being in India ?

Are you sure you had think totally in this matter of choice question comes why buyer will buy from you ?
i am working with company which sell some stuff in international level and i will let u know that its too pathetic to sell in US and some country.
Consider courier scenario you are paying 700rs for 500grams and FDA is in us is so strict that it wont allow oil without proper documentation there customs charges heavy duty amount some times product cost is less and import duty is much more high.

ebay consider the right option they will deal with the most of the stuff with the documenting part(never used but previous experience )
fedex is best in terms of service and charges u need to give them commitment of something so there are many more aspects in terms of shipping only if u want to run international market.

study the market i think what market you will choose that will make the difference you cant charge 10$ product a 10$ shipping our company pays around 35lac only for shipping the stuff :scared14:

Dear all,

Looking for options to sell food & general items (Exotic Veggies, Fruits, Perfume oils) for people residing in & outside India.

Requirement is to have function on the site which allows US/UK & other countries to pay in USD/Pound etc.
Currency accepted in INR, USD, GBP, AUD at the most.

Currently no plans to buy a web space (host gator) or use cart like Magento

Have 2 options in mind,

Use of ONLINE STORE - Ready Platforms
Buildabazaar.com
martjack.com
shopify.com
zepo.in
indiagetonline.in (By Google, Basic Store)
smallbusiness.yahoo.com/ecommerce

Can someone tell which platform is good for such requirement ?

Use of ONLINE STORE - India websites
ebay.in - Easy to register & Sell
tradus.com - Easy to register & Sell
flipkart.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
infibeam.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
homeshop18.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
yebhi.com - Do they allow to sell our items ?
Any other store ?

ONLINE STORE - Abroad
ebay.com - How to sell on international platform ?
amazon.com - There is something call Amazon merchants, How to participate in this program from India ?

Are there anyother big online store (bestbuy etc) which allows such products ?

Please also suggest name of good International Shipping & freight forwarders

Thank you, Are you aware of any Platforms which will allow US/UK people to pay in USD/GBP ?

Can anyone tell me, Is it possible to be a seller on ebay.com while being in India ?

Sorry , only knew that he uses martjack. No idea about any of your other queries.

Thank you all.

@panky.killer
Well, Items which are planned to be shipping grows only 3 months a year only in Specific part of India & are quite in demand.
No worries, Business study is complete which includes shipping with customs.

In discussion with Amazon now.

Can anyone tell me which are big newspapers in US & UK ?
Something like Times of India in north, The Hindu in south. Looking at option of giving classified advts in US & UK.

No special process, you can use your existing ebay.in account to sell even on ebay.com, you will have to set up a payment method like PayPal.

No special process, you can use your existing ebay.in account to sell even on ebay.com, you will have to set up a payment method like PayPal.

Eh ok, Thank you.

Can you/anyone suggest a good & cheap courier for US & UK ? - Few of them are in my mind - UPS, USPS, TNT, DHL, Bluedart

Any idea which is better & have good rates for items ranging from 100 gms to 5 KGs.

Can you/anyone suggest a good & cheap courier for US & UK ?

DHL Worldnet Express is another you can consider. WorldNet Express India Post to the nearest air cargo and from there on it is DHL Express. Fully tracked and India to UK is usually three days excluding customs delays and holidays. Don't know if they take food items, but you can just ask your post office.

DHL Worldnet Express is another you can consider. WorldNet Express India Post to the nearest air cargo and from there on it is DHL Express. Fully tracked and India to UK is usually three days excluding customs delays and holidays. Don't know if they take food items, but you can just ask your post office.

Thanks for sharing.
Any idea which is chepear among this - UPS, USPS, TNT, DHL, Bluedart ?

@jsmithe
Wanted to thank you for suggesting Worldnet express. I have almost removed UPS, TNT & Bluedart. They are too costly for sending something to US & UK.

How come worldnet is not popular in India, I mean no advertisement etc.

Can you share if USPS would be cheaper as its US Post same as India post.

Last edited by a moderator:
jsmithe
How come worldnet is not popular in India, I mean no advertisement etc.

To be expected with our India Post, advertisement is something unknown to them. ;)

My Post Office though had flyers etc. and the postal staff there suggested Worldnet rather than their own SpeedPost. How about that.

Can you share if USPS would be cheaper as its US Post same as India post.

USPS implies the origin of the shipment has to be the USA as opposed to India SpeedPost, India Post, Worldnet Express where the origin has to be India.

USPS will most likely be cheaper than Worldnet Express (which for US to outside US shipments I think is called DHL Express or something like that) however it could be that there is no tracking depending on the shipping option you choose at USPS. If I recall correctly, there is something similar to Worldnet Express (nearest US aircargo via USPS and then DHL Express to overseas destination) for USPS.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all.

@panky.killer
Well, Items which are planned to be shipping grows only 3 months a year only in Specific part of India & are quite in demand.
No worries, Business study is complete which includes shipping with customs.

I presume your business study has taken into account that US, EU, Aus etc. are very particular about import of unprocessed agricultural goods and have all kinds of restrictions.

For eg. it was only a couple of years ago that the US ban on import of Alphonso mango from India was lifted. People in the US, especially Indians as opposed to native Americans had to endure mangoes from Costa Rica :( which are not a patch on the exquisite mangoes we get in India.

Back