User Guides How to transfer files from one computer to another using LAN cable

What you need:
A LAN cable.No need for crossover cable. Any LAN cable will do.

Step 1:Connect the two computers directly using LAN cable.Now both computer will show "Unidentified network" and a little exclamation mark!

Step2:The basic criteria for transfering the file is
1>The two computers must be on the same workgroup
2>The computers must have same subnet mask
3>The two computers must have different IP address

1>To make the computers have same workgroup: press windows+x and click select system.
then click advanced system properties>computer name>change>
the default workgroup name is "WORKGROUP".do this in both computers and make sure the workgroup name is same.You can keep the default name or change it but both computers MUST have SAME workgroup.

2>open control panel>Network and internet>Network and sharing center>change adapter settings>

right click ethernet/Local area connection and goto properties

3>double click tcp/ipv4 and and select use following ip address and give ip address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.55.255.0.leave the other fields blank .
in the second computer give ip address 192.168.0.2 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0.leave other fields blank.
you can give any ip address and subnet mask you want as long as it satisfy step 2

Step 3>Now open my computer and click network. If it gives the message "Netwrk discovery is turned off.click here to turn on network discovery" do it and turn on netork discovery

step 4>by defaul you can only access the user folder of the other computer. if you want to access other folder or drives right click on it and and seect properties. select sharing>advanced sharing setings>turn on sharing and select permission and select full control*(if u need it).

step 5>you will not be able to use internet during this. Goto step 2> subpart 3 and select get ip adress automatically instead of "use this vaues" after transfering file

@Ray This tutorial is very helpful and informative. Thank u for sharing :D

I have a query. Can this method be used for multiplayer gaming (lan gaming)? i am in the process of setting up two computers in separate rooms. So need to know whether this method works for gaming or not.

Back