how to uninstall windows xp.

nikhilarya

Disciple
i just installed windows 7 ult 64. I wanted to override mx windows xp but drive c was not in the option,it says something of ntfs so i installed on e drive. Now i dont want xp how to uninstall it. Should i just format the c drive.

Yes, just format the C drive. And after that you'll be facing a boot error, so just insert the Win 7 Disk and repair, it'll repair the boot loader and everything will be fine :)

"Windows was unable to complete the format"
This is what i get when i try to format c . Also i have tried in safe mode but same error

you don't you reinstall win 7 in c drive, even if win 7 will be on other drive, but the bootloader will be on the c drive will be the primary partition

@OP Just format it from Win 7, no need to format it from Booting through Win 7 disk. Just format it from Win 7 and upon restart you'll get boor error, insert the Win 7 disk and select repair.

^^but mate, win 7 stores the wubildr.mbr file in the c-drive, since it is a system file can that drive be formatted??

CA50 said:
^^but mate, win 7 stores the wubildr.mbr file in the c-drive, since it is a system file can that drive be formatted??
Hmm...Didn't knew that.

Thanks.

Well, then I think boot from XP CD, format both XP and Win 7 and do a fresh installation of Win 7.

What do you say @CA50?? I can think of this only now.

@ CA50

drive c is greyed during instalation

i have already stated this in my first post

error says something about ntfs and my c drive is fat

Ok here is the process...
1. boot from win 7 dvd
2. at the drive selection point, delete the first two partition, those must be the c and d drive
3. create a new primary partition ie the c drive, where you will install win7, next create a partition out of the remaining space, that will act as drive d
4. now install win 7 on c drive

error says something about ntfs and my c drive is fat
Thats the file system of the drives, windows 7 can't be installed on a FAT filesystem, it must be NTFS so that drive is greyed out

nikhilarya said:
but i have 79gb of stuff on d
cant i just delete c
in that case, try this
1.boot from win xp cd
2.at the drive selection stage, delete the first partition, and create a new one
3.now quit the xp installation by pressing f3
4.boot from win 7 dvd and try to install from it, i hope that will work

never ever format the partition when you have two active OS installed

Best way to uninstall one OS is to remove that particular OS from the dual boot and than format the drive containing it

Back