How would you have shaped your career differently?

Stupid me.
I come from a very humble background, never had any knowledge of corporate world in family/friends. Using loan, completed BTech and got into Capgemini Hyderabad.
When I was 3yrs exp tried to change and got selected in SAP Labs Bengaluru(after clearing 6 rounds with basic DSA and JAVA) and TCS Hyderabad. Both were offering similar package and I (the idiot^n) choose TCS.

I had no idea about service / product based companies.

Now doing pretty okay as a service company employee.
Had I chose SAP labs, now I would have a career not just a IT job. :oops::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling:
A common mistake one makes which is perfectly fine.. I'm also stuck with service cos. since decades now where one is just a slave for client and nothing more while in product based co. things are totally opp. with tons of benefits..

By not opting for open/distance university exams and having no knowledge after graduating? I thought regular college would be hard(And it is believe me, I had to drop out) since I spend most of my time eating, sleeping or playing games

I would have stopped drinking and taken school more seriously... in retrospect. Also wish I knew the value of money early on in life as I had many opportunities to make good money and never took them.

I should have gotten into a field which I excel at. Moreover i should have started working earlier in life. You can take career risks when you are just starting out. Once you have settled in a profession it's hard to make switch.
Tdlr: start early to learn skills, take risks.

Things were going well for me until i had decided to join a start-up, leaving behind my MNC Job. I did this to get exposure to some of the advance technology the folks claimed they were working at. Things looked good only for few days, with eventually realizing that i have landed into a terrible company. The work culture turned out to be extremely horrible. There were no process, no ethics, the so called management grilled us like a slave. The environment there was just toxic enough to kill your sanity. Due to the mediocre management, and team itself most of the projects went on toss. It's not before 6 months of my joining that this company got acquired by another mid-sized organization which turned out even more horrendous. They didn't gave a damm to anyone of us and just tossed our team to random departments for fitment. I am just stuck here now with uncertain future. I hope to runway soon from here, but wished i should have done some investigation before joining that start-up..

Things were going well for me until i had decided to join a start-up, leaving behind my MNC Job. I did this to get exposure to some of the advance technology the folks claimed they were working at. Things looked good only for few days, with eventually realizing that i have landed into a terrible company. The work culture turned out to be extremely horrible. There were no process, no ethics, the so called management grilled us like a slave. The environment there was just toxic enough to kill your sanity. Due to the mediocre management, and team itself most of the projects went on toss. It's not before 6 months of my joining that this company got acquired by another mid-sized organization which turned out even more horrendous. They didn't gave a damm to anyone of us and just tossed our team to random departments for fitment. I am just stuck here now with uncertain future. I hope to runway soon from here, but wished i should have done some investigation before joining that start-up..

had a similar experience (the company is of relatives & filled with many). had joined to take a 'break' of sorts from my original career & to try and see if i could do well in something else out of interest. i though quit from there early this year to return to my 'native path'. had heaved a sigh of relief after that but also still get those thoughts of whether i made a good decision or a bad hasty one and should've stuck instead, lol. this wretched mind! :laughing:

These are the reasons I ask people to have a second thought before jumping into startups. Its a new fad/fashion or a status symbol just like getting hold of an apple phone!
Of course not all startups are bad but again is it written on their foreheads whats cooking inside ??
So a wise man will always opt for a well settled organization and the ones who got big fat sum stashed in his a/cs and a settled life can risk getting into start ups.
Not to forget many startups ask to sign xyz bonds and agreements thus candidates beware!

To sum up, when jumping from a startup to an mnc be prepared to be bombarded with all sort of questions as mncs are more interested to know how heavily your contributed to that startup and on what role and whats the current situation/status of such startups. Is the co. senses anything unsatisfactory be ready for a red flag!

I am just stuck here now with uncertain future. I hope to runway soon from here, but wished i should have done some investigation before joining that start-up..
Change before it ruins your mental stability.

Talks of recession is there around the world, so, better get another offer even it's same of little bit less than current monies and leave.

I work at celrical post.. just data entry , moving files, preparing excel and some presentation...

Its boring and lot sof work... There is no promotion here.. but the work time is good and we get all holidays.. hence people are stuck here

How do i get one such job? Clerical post data entry etc? I am looking for a lowly job exactly like that so that I can get to live a life unlike my friends earning 6-figure salary working 12+ hrs every day

If I could go back in time then the first thing i would do would be to try to get a job (a low paying, non IT job, the 9 to 5 kind) right after my graduation and not waste 6 years behind attaining masters and doctorate. Worst decision of my life pursuing higher education just to impress my high achieving family. Only if i could go back to 2006/07 i would change everything. One small mistake for me one giant consequence for rest of the life.

Last edited:
How do i get one such job? Clerical post data entry etc? I am looking for a lowly job exactly like that so that I can get to live a life unlike my friends earning 6-figure salary working 12+ hrs every day

If I could go back in time then the first thing i would do would be to try to get a job (a low paying, non IT job, the 9 to 5 kind) right after my graduation and not waste 6 years behind attaining masters and doctorate. Worst decision of my life pursuing higher education just to impress my high achieving family. Only if i could go back to 2006/07 i would change everything. One small mistake for me one giant consequence for rest of the life.
What discipline did you pursue in PhD? You can try SRF positions if coming for engineering background.

I work at celrical post.. just data entry , moving files, preparing excel and some presentation...

Its boring and lot sof work... There is no promotion here.. but the work time is good and we get all holidays.. hence people are stuck here
Thats what counts in todays world where most of the deep pocket earners have to go through sleepless nights work 24x7 be available round the clock with little to zero peace thus no use of the money if its eventually going to end in hospital bills.
Seem you are having the best job no matter how boring or even if its less paying.
People crave for that perfect work-home balance buts all going south ways..
Consider yourself lucky!

Back