Hows rocket tubular battery?

6pack

ex-Mod
I'm getting this rocket tubular battery of 180AH for around 14k. Is this a good known brand? I searched the web but couldn't find any reviews about this brand. Only link I found was of an exports company in which it was written that it is licensed user of Global Battery (Global & Yuasa Battery Co. Ltd.)

Is this a good buy for my APC inverter?

Never heard of it,for the same price you can get a 150AH exide tubular battery.

Check the weight of the battery it will mostly be lighter then exide tubular batteries,if it is then the rocket is using thinner lead plates.

You can get an exide with almost similar specs for that amount if you search and bargain a bit. And if you have an old battery more discount.

The 150AH rocket battery wet weight is 1.55kg lighter compared to basic exide tubular battery which weights 60.05kg ,the exide also has small dimensions meaning the rocked battery weight is more to do with the higher acid container,so its dry weight should be even lighter compared to exide.

The more expensive Exide EL+ range however is a staggering 13kg heavier but should cost around 19k but lasts on average 7 years with a 5 year complete replacement warranty.

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Hey Guys![/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]How much would be a decent enough budget for an inverter that will be used for powering 2 fans, 2 tubes and 1 PC for 2 hours a day max? We are considering getting the inverter setup for our home, now that power cuts in Chennai are for 2 hours every day.[/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I was reading up on the previous pages, and it seems that tubular batteries have a much longer life than the SMF batteries. However, lot of people have mentioned that the tubular ones need regular maintenance, and also emit fumes and gases? Also, what would be the recommended specification for the inverter? We would like to keep the existing setup for at least 2-3 years before changing the batteries again. Also, consumption is not likely to increase. Duration might, but consumption will never be more than 2 lights, 2 fans and 1 computer. [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Using the guide at [/font]this [font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]link, I was able to understand that we need atleast a 750-800 VA inverter. Do I need 2 batteries? Or will 1 suffice? [/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Cheers![/font]

Depends on the your PC specs,

2fans and 2 tubes(electronic ballast) at the max will consume around 200watt.So assuming you computer consumes 300watt max you should be fine with a 800va inverter.If not you should go for a 1000va or upwards.

Most inverters of 800va or less uses only a single battery,anything higher uses 2 batteries but they are more efficient .

well the weight on the site says 62 KGs for 190AH, so 180AH would be around 58-60 Kgs right? - http://rocketbatteri...ups-battery.htm

The Exide weighs more at 60KG for 150AH battery. - http://www.exide4u.c...nva_tubular.htm

Exide prices in my area is 14.5k for 150AH and 16.5k for the 165AH one (i think)

I don't see any testing reports for rocket on their website.

Was checking a local manufacturer here called relicell to replace battereis in my APC BR-1000, see what they have

Relicell also do tubular batteries

Rocket batteries, i have heard about this from my APC UPS service centre guys. However SMF batteries are not recommended for inverters. Always remember one thing, whether you use the batteries or not, the back up capacity of the battery detoriates every year.

So think wisely. Are you thinking of a complete discharge and charging the battery? You are not going to do it often. If you go for any battery above 100AH i dont think you are going to discharge it more than 50% of its capacity based on your needs.

I am using Exide express.. yes an automotive battery and its going good for the past 2 years. Infact the heavy duty automotive batteries have a thicker plates. My personal opinion would be to go for a normal inverter battery from Exide or Amaron or Standard furukawa.

Guys remember i have seen a lot of shops in chennai using automotive batteries for inverter, the reason being it can handle higher charge currents and secondly it is cheap when compared to other batteries.

Have you ever seen any battery company mentioning the thickness of the plates being used in the batteries???? never. I havent seen any. I request people to provide me any link which explains about it.

I dont think there is much difference between an automotive or an inverter battery, its just the name and to grab extra money from consumers. I am not considering Tubular batteries in this comparison.

Final thought, be it any battery, just go for the reputed companies and do not go for all these unheard ones

The only difference between truck/automotive batteries vs low cost inverter batteries is the connector type and the existence of handles,some are just the same.They only have 1 year replacement warranty with the rest of the years being a Pro rata warranty.

But there is a big difference between those and a tubular battery which do have much much thicker plates and are designed for cyclic deep discharge and usually have 3 years or more of replacement warranty(exide EL+ has 5 year warranty).

The only difference between truck/automotive batteries vs low cost inverter batteries is the connector type and the existence of handles,some are just the same.They only have 1 year replacement warranty with the rest of the years being a Pro rata warranty.

But there is a big difference between those and a tubular battery which do have much much thicker plates and are designed for cyclic deep discharge and usually have 3 years or more of replacement warranty(exide EL+ has 5 year warranty).

Rightly said adder. Thats what i was saying that tubular batteries should not be compared with flat plate batteries. Rocket battery is an SMF battery and its a complete "NO" for inverters, but they are good for UPS.

Tubulars are costlier, though it has 3+ years of warranty, unless the battery is completly dead, you cannot claim warranty. You cannot complain on the less charge it can hold. Those are not covered under warranty and thats the catch.

But for Automotive battery the warranty can be claimed if it looses its cranking power. But lose of cranking power does not mean loss of holding charge. Its just the battery cannot release out burst of current.

My personal opinion would be to go for normal inverter batteries.

i bought the exide IT500 tubular battery. on the box and battery its mentioned that its an industrial battery but the recommended use is for home inverters or computer ups
<

guarantee card also mentions, guarantee is void if used in any other environment.

I have a doubt. i've seen many people complaining about this battery loosing charge after a year. on the other hand, my uncle's using this same model battery with his inverter from past 2 years without any complains. So is this because they (the ones complaining) use it too much or dont take care of it properly?

i didnt get an amc, so while topping the battery, what type or brand of battery water should i get? heard even filtered rain water is good.

i

I have a doubt. i've seen many people complaining about this battery loosing charge after a year. on the other hand, my uncle's using this same model battery with his inverter from past 2 years without any complains. So is this because they (the ones complaining) use it too much or dont take care of it properly?

i didnt get an amc, so while topping the battery, what type or brand of battery water should i get? heard even filtered rain water is good.

Majority of people don't bother to look at battery level,the only time they look at it(they just call the inverter repair guy) is if it fails to give the desired back up.

I don't recommend using rain water, use only distilled water i just buy the one that shell fuel pump sells(which is some local brand) ,if you maintain your battery well(make sure the lead plates are always submersed in distill water) your IT500 should last 5 years.

I check my batteries once in 3 months time(in bangalore weather) and pour distill water myself,apply petroleum jelly to the connectors if necessary.

People who do complain are those who discharge the battery completely,do not add distill water on time,those who have a malfunctioning inverter which charges at higher volts or amps.

i also read on some battery maintaining tips sites not to use petroleum jelly on the contacts if the usage is for hot climates. the main reasoning is that the jelly will melt and drip inside the small gaps around the connectors and will lessen the output or something like that. people say to use some stuff like anti seize or something which is conductive and does not allow metal to rust in a wide temperature range. i've also read on same site not to use wd40.

About the petroleum jelly melting thats exaggerated,mine stills didn't melt even after 2+ years with room temperature touching 33°C.

About it lessening the output,thats all mostly hokum ,its higly unlikely that its going to go inside the battery cell area.

Back