howto:simultaneous net connections.

techies,
i have 2 net connections...
one is mtnl with adsl router connected through usb
other is cablenet through lan(pppoe)

now, what i want to do is..use the cablenet to download(high dl limit)..say use bittorrent to download stuff...and use mtnl to surf using any browser(good speeds)...both at the same time..
how do i go about doing this in windows xp?
all inputs appreciated.

I am not quite sure of this.. But if you have 2 machines you will be able to setup a proxy for one connection. You can use one as normal way and the other using proxy..

I used to do it with 2 machines in my room.. But I donno hw to do it with a single machine..

Here is what I did.. (I had a tata and airtel connection)

1)Tata on machine 1 Airtel on machine 2

2)setup any kind of proxy software(lot of them available) on both the machines.

3) Use the directly connected connection as normal and the other using proxy

ie on machine 1, you can use tata for downloading torrents.

when wanted to browse using Airtel, I will put the proxy server address (normally it will be the IP of the second machine)and port to the browser settings and there you go!!!

I know this is not exactly what you needed. But I hope this helps you to some extend:cool2:

sagar_coolx said:
techies,

i have 2 net connections...

one is mtnl with adsl router connected through usb

other is cablenet through lan(pppoe)

now, what i want to do is..use the cablenet to download(high dl limit)..say use bittorrent to download stuff...and use mtnl to surf using any browser(good speeds)...both at the same time..

how do i go about doing this in windows xp?

all inputs appreciated.

Ideally you need a router, so you can do this either with a standalone router which has 2 wan ports ( you will need to get a modem with an rj45 connection for your mtnl connection), or a better option would be to get an old PC and use a basic linux based router which has an easy web based interface. Let me know if you need more info about the second option else Google is your friend :).

A third option comes to my mind but that depends on your PC capability, to use a virtual machine as a router instead of using a separate pc.

cheers.

Back