Laptops HP Pavilion dv6000 wont boot

Vadrigar

Disciple
Hi,

My HP Pavilion dv6000 doesnt boot. A couple of days ago, the laptop had a screen flicker and then was working normally.
Then when I booted it yesterday, there was a long beep and a couple of short beeps and it didnt boot at all.

The thing is I have some important backups which I need to backup before giving to service centre in Chennai.
Any ideas on backing the datas up (very important datas) :scared14:

Also, can you guess what the problem could be?

Help me please

Thanks

Vadrigar

1. How old is your laptop?
2. Does it have the infamous nVidia 8400 / 8600 GFX chip?

Well i'm a little confused as to what the original model is? :annoyed:

Cos in the top right of the screen it says HP Pavilion dv 6000, but at the bottom of the lappy it clearly says its a HP Pavilion dv 6700

1) Bought in 2008 end with Vista
2) I dont think it doesnt have that those nVidia chips. Not 100% sure tho

Pls help

Ah, the infamous HP DV series!

The problems with these laptops are mainly associated with the graphics chips. It has a 8400GS chip. You say it was brought in 2008. I can imagine the amount of dust clogged in your heatsink vent over the years,. The build up of dust has caused your gpu to run hotter and letting no heat escape. You will have to either re-flow your gpu or just reball it. I think you have tried all the usual troubleshooting.

Before trying anything else you want to take the HDD out and attach it to a PC and rescue all the personal files that are important to you.

i have the similar laptop bought around 2007... basically its the nvidia graphic problem... google with the beep sounds to know more...

I almost repaired it locally 3-4 times, as I use mine 24x7.

Ah, the infamous HP DV series!

The problems with these laptops are mainly associated with the graphics chips. It has a 8400GS chip. You say it was brought in 2008. I can imagine the amount of dust clogged in your heatsink vent over the years,. The build up of dust has caused your gpu to run hotter and letting no heat escape. You will have to either re-flow your gpu or just reball it. I think you have tried all the usual troubleshooting.

Before trying anything else you want to take the HDD out and attach it to a PC and rescue all the personal files that are important to you.

Alright, thanks for the tips :yahoo:

Edit: The lappy's HDD is probably going to be an IDE one. If I take the HDD out and want to backup, I dont have a IDE port in my computer.
Can you recommend any way to connect it and get back the data? There must be some USB to IDE connector or IDE to USB connector.

Thanks again

Alright, thanks for the tips :yahoo:

Edit: The lappy's HDD is probably going to be an IDE one. If I take the HDD out and want to backup, I dont have a IDE port in my computer.
Can you recommend any way to connect it and get back the data? There must be some USB to IDE connector or IDE to USB connector.

Thanks again

No. It's SATA.

And yes, HP does use confusing model numbers. Mine died just one month after the warranty expired. It was a very high end limited edition DV2700. F&*K HP.

I too had a similar problem, my model is dv6516tx bought in Sep 2007, firstly the screen image was only coming on the left 75% of the display, the rightmost 25% was blank. This was then followed by the display completely going blank. I assumed it was a graphics chip problem (yes, it has the 8400 chip)

I took it to a local service centre, he has replaced it for around 4000 rupees.

I was thinking of replacing my laptop completely, but it is such a good laptop that I have decided to hold on to it. It has a very good display and nice audio. The battery is completely gone, but I only use it at my desk, so it is not an issue. I've replaced the hard disk with a SSD, so the performance even today is completely fine for my usage (browsing, casual games, MS Office, videos, music)

Back