Laptops Hp refreshes DM1z with E450 APU / Beats Audio

^ its a laptop for entertainment only, not for working. sorry to say this, but you're using it wrong!

If you wanted something to run VS2010 or servers you should have got the high end i7 based laptops with 4-8GB ram. Even basic dual core based processors like i3 lag in such tasks.

In programming, more the ram = more the merrier.

^Teh Fawlty guy , I am not trying to say that this laptop is not good for hardcore working....I know , laptops are not meant for that, but yet the performance for the price is something we generally expect....when you compare a AMD 1.65 ghz processor with some other processor @ same price...its not that a good deal..

this is a vey good laptop indeed , atleast for the multimedia pourpose like watching upto 720p vids.....but when you go anything above that mark ...its becomes sluggish....

I would have preferred a 7200RPM harddisk in this one instead, also if they could have provided 4GB DDR3 ram instead of 2GB that would have been much better......as they are running windows 7 64 bit , which requires minimum of 2b ram.

The worst thing I experienced about this lappy was when I was trying to install Windows 7 ultimate , it took ages to install.... almost thrice the time my desktop takes....and even then it hadn't finished installation..so finally I quit it unfinished.....

Addition of Beats audio has made it awesome.......It produced awesome sound quality in my sennheiser headphones.....I must say it competes my Old Nokia n91...in headphone output.

//
also has anyone checked out DEll Inspiron m101z - almost similiar config to dm1z , but much cheaper.....I was getting one in Nehru palace @19.2k alongwith bag and ram upgrade to 4gb...with 7200rpm harddisk...the best buy when it comes for a netbook......

HPdm1 i would say bears a pricetag little bit higher than what it is intended to do...but still its the best in netbook.

hrishi said:
also has anyone checked out DEll Inspiron m101z - almost similiar config to dm1z , but much cheaper.....I was getting one in Nehru palace @19.2k alongwith bag and ram upgrade to 4gb...with 7200rpm harddisk...the best buy when it comes for a netbook......

You need to update your knowledge dell model is age old model...EVen m102z have launched but not in india and that is one model down to this hp model as that have e350.

hrishi said:
I read a lot about laptops in this range , and finally bought hp dm1-4003au from nehru palace on 24-10-2011 at a bargained price of 23,250 INR, along with a laptop sleeve from Iball.

They have provided me with an on-site warranty for an year.
I have been fiddling with this lappy from past few days and taking out all the juice possible from it , although I am waiting for few weeks till I upgrade its Primary Memory to 4Gb DDR3.
I was actually trying to run MSSQL server and Visual Studio 10 , alongwith Java Netbeans on this , I am pretty sure these things are taking out breath from this machine............its almost dying while installing these apps......I am probably going to stick with windows XP untill I get a RAM upgrade.......as I believe these development apps will run faster on that since XP consumes less ram.

Also I was trying to figure out if I can make a PXE Boot , to install XP , right away from my desktop.!!!!!!......Since this thing lacks DVD-RW.!!!!! Damn......

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I googled a lot for review of hp dm1-4003au/us but had to keep searching endlessly untill I got baffled by searching and then finally decided to spent the money over it.

ANy one who is willing to buy this lappy , but needs few details (specially the intricate ones.), for that purpose,I will write a full review on this along with pics , this weekend(gimme sometime as I am damn busy till friday)................Plz make sure you read the'm before buying cause the purchase of this laptop depends a lot on usage,.......

Let me plz clear this misconception of many of you and those who are willing to buy this mini-laptop instead of those who are coming at same price range , aha yeah the bigger ones,(called laptops), with 14-15" screens.

First this lappy stands nowhere , I mean neither in notebooks nor in minis, also it stands nowhere in performance to ny1,other than those similiar.
The dual core CPU of AMD that has built in on-die GPU , just suxx while running a high end app like VS2010 or Some servers...... and when you go for gaming ....probably the newer ones,(who will like to play old games anywayz), it sucks even more,..........

My prime concern and conclusion for this design would be that they should have made something which could have performed well either in games or in running servers.........
and when someone asks me what more you want from a mini-lappy , then for him I should tell him , this is not the only thing I want from a mini-lappy putting a hole of ~25k bucks in my wallet.

I didn't meant any offences , ,,,so plz don't argue over this comment..:)
Just bought DM1 4003 AU for 22k. Delhi. Please suggest Appropriate ram speed and Size ( 2gb or 4gb) and also brand . Thanks.

hello drjamit,
can you please tell us from where you bought the laptop , name of shop if possible.

As far as size of ram is concerned I would suggest you to go for 4gb dual channel ram, (dual channel rams are better than using single ram module of 1gb),
I think 4003-au has base config of 2gb ram, 1333mhz of hitachi.
It would be good if you can add 2more gb of similiar capacity ram with same frequency.

In order to open the Laptop case, look at the backside of this laptop, on top of battery you will find a button that can be moved sideways as well...so plz slide that button/switch, and pull up the battery, once you pull up the battery , you will need to move the switch/button sideways once again.....and then take out the backside main cover, everything will be easy after that.......:)
this notebook is a very good choice for modders and upgraders.:) and for your information it supports upto 8gigs of DDR3 1333mhz dual channel ram.
thanks,
rishi.

adder said:
Can a E350 based netbook or a net top be able to play 1080p HD videos from Youtube,Vimeo smoothly ?

This should clarify http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/review-asus-e35m1-m-pro-amd-198685.html | http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/amd-fusion-e350-linux-xbmc-perspective-200245.html
dissel said:
Can any one please mention the OS come pre-installed (legal) with HP DM1-4003AU ? Or is it Free DOS ?

Windows 7 Home Premium IINM.

@hrishi - Brazos doesn't support Dual channel memory. So whether you add 4 or 8 it will work in single channel.

Dark Star said:

Nice reviews but they don't shed light on the flash video playback,the reason why i ask this is i still remember reading anandtech review that said "but early Brazos adapters should expect some stuttering when playing back 1080p YouTube videos. Note that 720p and lower resolution videos were perfectly smooth on Brazos."

hrishi said:
hello drjamit,

can you please tell us from where you bought the laptop , name of shop if possible.

As far as size of ram is concerned I would suggest you to go for 4gb dual channel ram, (dual channel rams are better than using single ram module of 1gb),

I think 4003-au has base config of 2gb ram, 1333mhz of hitachi.

It would be good if you can add 2more gb of similiar capacity ram with same frequency.

In order to open the Laptop case, look at the backside of this laptop, on top of battery you will find a button that can be moved sideways as well...so plz slide that button/switch, and pull up the battery, once you pull up the battery , you will need to move the switch/button sideways once again.....and then take out the backside main cover, everything will be easy after that.......:)

this notebook is a very good choice for modders and upgraders.:) and for your information it supports upto 8gigs of DDR3 1333mhz dual channel ram.

thanks,

rishi.

Thanks for ur reply.

i have upgraded with transcend 4 gb 1333. i bought it from my vendor KOPAL computers at pitampura for 23k.

Darkstar,is that dm1-4003au comes with inbuilt 2gb ram, and one slot left for upgrade ??
I have seen some people having 6gb ram in their dm1's.....so i was wondering if single 6 gb sticks are also available or what,...??

Hello ,
I have installed windows 8 Developer preview in HP DM1-4003 au , and I must say this runs cool althought I can't compare it with windows 7 as they are currently on different grounds..
However this is cool , and I should not forget to mention that it includes VS2011 ,:) and it performs smoothly. w/o any compatibility issues.:)...
I have few screenshots of that but I was wondering whether uploading allowed or not.

Well These are couple of screenshots I managed to capture and upload over here,....I will upload few more later on......

these are taken on my hp dm1.

Attachments

• jpeg.jpg
    jpeg.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 142
  • network-ss.jpg
    network-ss.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 137
  • start-up.jpg
    start-up.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 131
  • vss-msd-win8ss.jpg
    vss-msd-win8ss.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 129
  • win8,screenshot.jpg
    win8,screenshot.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 115
  • win8-desktop.jpg
    win8-desktop.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 114
Sorry for bumping this thread. Anyways, is this the best netbook available in India as of now? Is anything better coming anytime soon?

I am looking for something that is light and portable and sufficient for normal surfing and MS Office documents along with a good battery. I think the new HP DM1-Z is perfect for my requirements.

I will just upgrade the memory to 8GB or something? Are 6GB 1333 Mhz sticks available? I am just hoping that it runs Win 7 Ultimate without any hiccups.

I read a lot about laptops in this range , and finally bought hp dm1-4003au from nehru palace on 24-10-2011 at a bargained price of 23,250 INR, along with a laptop sleeve from Iball.

They have provided me with an on-site warranty for an year.

I have been fiddling with this lappy from past few days and taking out all the juice possible from it , although I am waiting for few weeks till I upgrade its Primary Memory to 4Gb DDR3.

I was actually trying to run MSSQL server and Visual Studio 10 , alongwith Java Netbeans on this , I am pretty sure these things are taking out breath from this machine............its almost dying while installing these apps......I am probably going to stick with windows XP untill I get a RAM upgrade.......as I believe these development apps will run faster on that since XP consumes less ram.

Also I was trying to figure out if I can make a PXE Boot , to install XP , right away from my desktop.!!!!!!......Since this thing lacks DVD-RW.!!!!! Damn......

I googled a lot for review of hp dm1-4003au/us but had to keep searching endlessly untill I got baffled by searching and then finally decided to spent the money over it.

ANy one who is willing to buy this lappy , but needs few details (specially the intricate ones.), for that purpose,I will write a full review on this along with pics , this weekend(gimme sometime as I am damn busy till friday)................Plz make sure you read the'm before buying cause the purchase of this laptop depends a lot on usage,.......

Let me plz clear this misconception of many of you and those who are willing to buy this mini-laptop instead of those who are coming at same price range , aha yeah the bigger ones,(called laptops), with 14-15" screens.

First this lappy stands nowhere , I mean neither in notebooks nor in minis, also it stands nowhere in performance to ny1,other than those similiar.

The dual core CPU of AMD that has built in on-die GPU , just suxx while running a high end app like VS2010 or Some servers...... and when you go for gaming ....probably the newer ones,(who will like to play old games anywayz), it sucks even more,..........

My prime concern and conclusion for this design would be that they should have made something which could have performed well either in games or in running servers.........

and when someone asks me what more you want from a mini-lappy , then for him I should tell him , this is not the only thing I want from a mini-lappy putting a hole of ~25k bucks in my wallet.

I didn't meant any offences , ,,,so plz don't argue over this comment..
<

^^now this happens to those who don't think of their requirement before buying... If you could have done some research then you should be knowing that this mini-laptop/netbook was never meant for servers/gaming,,, It is to be used as a secondary computer to surf/doc editing/movies/music...

You are trying to run software which can even make a decent dual core desktop system get on its knees.... And as far as gaming is concerned please look at the Minimum System Requirements of the game and think...

No Offence, but do put in some thorough research before buying in future...

Back