hTC Desire SV - The Super DUAL SIM

First of all Thanks to all members of TE for their valuable comments and feedback for my previous review all of which has helped me a lot to write this one. And I need them again to keep improving! :)

Introduction

Well to start off, once again hTC thanks a million for the spark that was required for people like me who prefer a DUAL SIM for a variety of reasons & were tired of carrying a Backup phone and a Good Single SIM Smartphone. The Spark namely hTC Desire V was what I wanted badly as until then I could only gamble and buy any Chinese or Indian Chinese Clones at rock bottom price and pray that it won't betray me.

Or get a Dumb Phone from Reputed Brands and forget that I need a Smartphone or Enjoy 2 Phones in my pocket and look like President of India busy with the task of serving the country with one phone on left ear and right one too busy! :) Fortunately, hTC did see that DUAL SIM is a big market waiting to be tapped here but that required some good quarters in red and hence we saw the company release a Android v4, 4" Proper Smartphone with all Bells and whistles but at a price that ensured that company still saw red quarters! Why did they think to price this above 20k initially is something I couldn't understand but at least I could afford it via my Credit Card (EMI) and I had peace of mind with something I could trust.

And my review of hTC Desire V, gladly tells you all how happy I was that at least some company allowed me to get that perfect phone. As time flew by, I could see certain things that hTC did wrong like:

1) The Desire V was a bit lazy in whatever you do with a phone but I was Ok with it as a long time Symbian User I knew that at least Job gets done.
2) The 512 MB RAM on htC Sense UI though trimmed did take its toll some time.
3) Ergonomics were forgotten when they designed the Volume Controls and that POWER Button which is smack in the center and not to my liking at all! Plus feedback was not good and it needed a firm press as time flew by.
4) The Flimsy back cover gave me shivers whenever I opened the Back Cover.
5) No Dev support so no custom ROM or mods!
6) I was 100% Sure that hTC will not think beyond Android 4

But one thing I felt great was that it gave me all goodness of Android in it's latest flavor at a time when GB was slowly phased out and manufacturer's had a hard time pushing v4 to 2.3 Hand sets. Plus I knew once any reputed manufacturer would do something different others will follow and thus we saw an option soon after Desire V ala Samsung Galaxy S DUOS.

Though personally, I prefer hTC Desire V overall as Samsung no matter what hardware they put inside the outside is simply pathetic! Plastic that too Cheap Feel and then from Galaxy Y to S3 same lame design only difference of Screen Size going up and down :lol: Samsung Fans don't get offended but I felt so stupid when I had Samsung Galaxy Ace DUOS (GSM+GSM) that I cursed my self to buy a thing just for some pretty weak hardware and OS! However it's good for average use but Please that feel and super awesome Design is not for me!

Any ways by now after using my love for some time I felt that hTC should do something now in the form of a successor as thanks to over pricing a nice product they could not arrest their negative growth! And I saw the news of hTC Desire SV! The Moment I saw it I was sold! DUAL CORE, DUAL SIM, 4.3" Screen, SLCD2, Orange Color, 768 MB RAM and Jelly Bean promise! I wanted it the day it was launched for my Dad as the asking price now was tad above 20k however in my opinion under 20k is the right place of such a handset. By Now I know many of you had enough of reading my story and would love to know about this phone more so let's begin. :rofl:

Design & Build

Once again the moment you will take this in hand the first thing in your minds will be where is the 20k you can give to the mobile store! Trust me the feel and the design of the handset is that AWESOME. No more curves but a simple, straight and ergonomically designed piece of Hardware that says premium all the while! Beautiful and simple front with all those sensors, neat design of notification LED embedded in the ear piece grill, Rubber like back for good grip with that beats logo confirming the outstanding sound quality and Sensible placement of Power, Volume, 3.5mm Jack and micro USB. Black one looks plain Jane which my Dad prefers but orange one is my pick! The only downside of this design is that it's a bit chubby and not sleek. Open the back cover and you have easy access to both your micro SIM's and micro SD Card Slot which means once battery is in no need to take it out at all. The Back Panel is much better now and will last long really long. The overall dimensions and weight are all good and no complaints at all. So in this section job well done hTC!

Rating: 9/10

Display

Power it on and get greeted by the famous hTC Quietly brilliant with beats audio at the bottom. The SLCD2 with 800*480 Resolution with 16 M Colors and 217 ppi is not going to win any awards but the display is gorgeous! 4.3" Estate and a bright Screen with Nice Color Production and overall good balance is standard for the segment. Since it's not AMOLED so deep blacks are replaced by average blacks and overall the display does the job very well. I think that the display is too bright but everything is sharp, precise and text appears clear. Take it outdoors and it is still great. However I do feel if it was qHD trust me then it was the best money could buy at 20k! Otherwise nice work here too and a marked improvement over Desire V. Segment wise there are better handsets in terms of resolution but SLCD2 stands good in competing.

Rating: 8/10

Apps, UI & Performance

After seeing a lot of skins and stuff from most of the manufacturer's hTC Sense UI comes on top of being the most beautiful and close second to being functional as there are better skins on functionality and previous hTC Sense versions were better than this. It runs super smooth and you will admire that the DUAL CORE & Extra RAM is not getting stressed at all. You get all necessary apps installed like Flashlight, Document Viewer, Logme In, Sound Hound, All Google Stuff, Task Manager, To Do List and lots of useful widgets to play around. Do all the basic stuff and it will glide. You really have to push the handset to see lag but it's so rare that most of the times it will go unnoticed. The phone breezes through all day long and will take your light and medium games with ease. If there is any heavy task or any heavy processing the task will only be done with a delay but no freezes no lockups all smooth and butter. I am just waiting for v4.1 Goodness which hTC have promised which will further enhance the user experience with Project Butter. Benchmarks are provided courtsey GSMArena for same SoC running Desire X which shares same internals sans the Body as Dad uses the phone most of the times so I don't get to play much. Overall you get all stuff for a smart phone at a nice speed with Phone not acting lazy or feeling underpowered most of the times. Occasional Lag only slows down the task that is to be performed that's all. So nice Job here to hTC but a Nova Thor SoC here would have made this hand set one hell of a monster south side of 20k. hTC Sense UI is truly the best looking and only hope that hTC adds some toggles and quick settings to notification bar as in it's current state it's too bland and redundant! However the S4 Play DUAL CORE 1 GHz with 768 MB RAM is good at speedy and smooth multitasking!

Benchmarks for S4 Play SoC with 768 MB RAM: HTC Desire X review: Needs and wants - GSMArena.com

Music

Plug in any good quality head phones and listen to outstanding sound quality. Though music quality is subjective but I found it excellent and beats audio enhancement is icing on the cake. You get clear, distortion free sound with that nice thump. What is lacking is set of equalizer to fine tune music and hTC hats off to you to do crazy things at least expected area's! Loudspeaker is loud and good so you won't miss calls often. You get two music players though. Google Play and hTC own standard music player which I can't understand but nothing wrong about it! FM Radio with RDS is there for radio people and sadly beats audio doesn't work here!

Rating: 8.5/10

Video Playback

Here comes the disappointment! The SoC used by hTC shows it's limitations in some average playback with 720p Content and thanks to @sbhas2k I got to know that stock player is no good playing at it but it does have some problems even with 3rd party players. Below that it's all good and is a joy to use! Nothing exceptional here and average job.

Rating: 7/10

Camera & Video Recording

Frankly speaking I will upload some pics and video for you people to decide as Image Quality is very subjective today. Some one may like it some one may like it the other way. Important Point to note here is that the Interface and features are similar to hTC One Series so you get plenty options software wise and It supports clicking pictures while recording but It doesn't have the ability to shoot 720p despite being a DUAL CORE so that's what I call imperfection! Since it also lacks front CAM so people in for Video Calling this is not for you!

Battery

The 1620 mAH unit will help you go through 1.5 Days of moderate usage and 1 day minimum of Heavy Use. Even here I wish hTC could have done better as DUAL CORE, Big Screen and DUAL SIM do require something better. But not too bad by any standards and is average for the segment.

Web Browsing

You get Chrome and Stock ICS Browser out of which my preference is chrome. Surfing and Browsing is awesome with no issues apart from the fact of missing flash content which anyways is out now. Heavy Pages do take time but apart from that this does the job well and no issues here.

Rating: 8.5/10

SMS & Email

Here after using 4.2 Android JB on my Gnex I do feel that although 4.3" Screen and hTC keyboard are so good swype like gesture typing is any day a super alternative! You can type easily in any mode i.e. Portrait or QWERTY, you can take back up of your SMS restore them and play with all useful settings. GMail and Another Email Client for other accounts is standard and all good here too!

Rating: 9/10

DUAL SIM

Here comes the best part! It's a carbon copy of hTC Desire V and you get a choice to send SMS or call from any of the SIM's. In the DUAL SIM MANAGER you can select the preferred SIM but that will only take care of your default internet connection. That's a bit vague and I seriously hope that hTC add some more functionality like the Basic Nokia S30 phones where in you can assign a variety of function to one SIM, leave the rest to be common and also assign some function to other SIM. For e.g. in Nokia 112 I could assign Call and SMS from SIM 1, GPRS from SIM2 and MMS was common i.e. It would ask me for SIM to use to send MMS. Simple and functional but here it is simple too but could have been better like I have mentioned. Apart from this you can set separate ringtones to both the SIM's, name them, activate call forwarding to get DUAL ACTIVE function for calls and in usage even view separate logs for minutes, SMS and Data use. In call history 1 and 2 denote the SIM used so overall all good but could have been better and simpler. Only 1 SIM supports 3G and other 2G which is not a problem as the SIM Insertion and ejection is so simple and easy.

Connectivity

It has all things covered here so we have got Bluetooth v4, micro USB for charging and PC Connectivity, Wifi with Hotspot, can be used as modem and supports 7.2 Mbps and 5.76 Mbps Downlink & Uplink respectively. Standard and added functionality of WIFI DIRECT. GPS works great as I have used it!

Verdict

Overall It's a great phone with DUAL SIM and Snappy for light and moderate use. You will love the features and it's a total VFM Package for now. hTC has indeed made me dream more now and this one will suit any one better than their previous offering which is now at a proper price. This one is overpriced by 3k so not much but what you get is a SUPER DUAL SIM Phone which can rival Single SIM Phones as well in it's target segment! So my Rating is based on two:

Rating as a Single SIM: 7.5/10
Rating as a DUAL SIM: 8.5/10

Hope My review helped to all those looking to buy a decent Android around 20k! Attached below are the various Pics and I will for sure add more!

For Now Pros & Cons:

Cons-
*No front CAM
*480p Recording and Choppy 720p Playback Support
*Battery could have been better
*Could have been Jelly Bean at Launch
*hTC Sense UI functionality a little less
*Internal Memory could have been more but Manage Space does the trick very well
*Resolution could have been more
*Battery could have been better
*Over priced should be under 20k

Pros-
*DUAL CORE 1 GHz and 768 MB RAM ensures smooth and snappy Performance
*Connectivity all Good with everything packed
*hTC Sense UI is beautiful and functional
*8 MPX CAM with all hTC ONE Goodness and LED
*Premium Build
*DUAL SIM with easy insertion and removal of SIM
*External Card support 32 GB
*SLCD2 and 4.3"
*Android v4 and upgrade to 4.1 Planned
*All Basics covered in Apps
*Beats Audio
*Log me In Preinstalled
*Drop BOX 25 GB for 2 Years
*User Accessible Battery

Thanks & Regards,

- - - Updated - - -

Full Specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire_sv-5100.php

Attachments

• 2012-12-07_21-11-11[1].jpg
    2012-12-07_21-11-11[1].jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 2012-12-07_21-11-26.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-11-26.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 152
  • 2012-12-07_21-11-31.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-11-31.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 2012-12-07_21-11-35.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-11-35.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 146
  • 2012-12-07_21-11-39.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-11-39.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 2012-12-07_21-12-35.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-12-35.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 2012-12-07_21-12-53.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-12-53.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 2012-12-07_21-12-54.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-12-54.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 2012-12-07_21-12-56.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-12-56.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 2012-12-07_21-13-15.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-13-15.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 2012-12-07_21-13-36.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-13-36.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 2012-12-07_21-14-03.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-14-03.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 2012-12-07_21-13-43.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-13-43.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 156
  • 2012-12-07_21-13-26.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-13-26.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 2012-12-07_21-15-17.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-15-17.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 2012-12-07_21-14-39.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-14-39.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 2012-12-07_21-14-26.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-14-26.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 2012-12-07_21-14-10.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-14-10.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 2012-12-07_21-15-44.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-15-44.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 2012-12-07_21-15-51.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-15-51.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 2012-12-07_21-15-33.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-15-33.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 2012-12-07_21-15-25.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-15-25.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 2012-12-07_21-16-09.jpg
    2012-12-07_21-16-09.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 166
Thank you very much for your review, it has been very helpful. The main Turn-off for me was the 720P playback and no magnetometer. Will wait for a better Dual SIM phone from HTC in the future.

Wonderful review. Never expected a credit from you :)

I have been using the phone for more than a month now. Here are my observations

1) 720p video in 3rd party player is still choppy. I tried to play higher bit rate 720p, it struggled a lot. Music and video was out of sync. Majority of 720p vids play though.
2) Sometimes in sms and whatsup, while typing the words doesn't visible immediately. No idea if the issue with Sense UI or the application. But since sometimes i observe the same in SMS, i confirm sense is the culprit here
3) 720p video recording is limited due to the SOC, as it can't handle it. Same reason why it doesn't play 720p vids
4) Dual sim functionality is awesome, but still it is not dual standby..
5) Battery life is awesome according to me. I can easily get through a day with Dual sim active and 3G on. More than satisfied on this front. I dunno why the OP has given 7/10. It is personal opinion though :)
6) Dual sim functionality is breeze to use. Very well thought of :)
7) No issues with any apps so far.. All works good, atleast the one i have tried

meet6600

If possible, kindly add the following in your review
1) Rooting method if you find it across for the wellness of others. I am waiting for JB upgrade before rooting.
2) Gaming performance and the games you have tried.

1) 720p video in 3rd party player is still choppy. I tried to play higher bit rate 720p, it struggled a lot. Music and video was out of sync. Majority of 720p vids play though.
2) Sometimes in sms and whatsup, while typing the words doesn't visible immediately. No idea if the issue with Sense UI or the application. But since sometimes i observe the same in SMS, i confirm sense is the culprit here
3) 720p video recording is limited due to the SOC, as it can't handle it. Same reason why it doesn't play 720p vids
5) Battery life is awesome according to me. I can easily get through a day with Dual sim active and 3G on. More than satisfied on this front. I dunno why the OP has given 7/10. It is personal opinion though :)
7) No issues with any apps so far.. All works good, atleast the one i have tried

meet6600

1) Rooting method if you find it across for the wellness of others. I am waiting for JB upgrade before rooting.

Did you say that it canplay most of 720P videos ? I just tried one on Desire X which was touted to have same proc and chipset.. it lagged and video was not smooth. I wanted a 720P play back with dual sim from HTC.. if you say that it works, i will think of buying this phone. If no, i will wait for a better model..

Did you say that it canplay most of 720P videos ? I just tried one on Desire X which was touted to have same proc and chipset.. it lagged and video was not smooth. I wanted a 720P play back with dual sim from HTC.. if you say that it works, i will think of buying this phone. If no, i will wait for a better model..

I will load a few more 720p vids today and confirm back. Hope that's ok with you.

- - - Updated - - -

its the same as galaxy s duos, only great advantage is that of cdma+gsm.

This is GSM + GSM phone. Desire VC is CDMA + GSM

Great review, Now the price of this phone below under 20k, But there are two things which bothered most of the buyer

1. Lack of the front facing Camera ,
2 . 768 MB RAM - Wish they provide 1GB Ram

Don't care if this can record video @ 720 p.

One thing I need to ask is it possible to transfer installed app from the phone memory to Micro SD card ? Like I read this not possible for Sam's S Duos. If this possible no complain. As 'Unleash to Phone' s review said the user accessible memory is just 1 GB .....
Please any one confirm ?

Any updates ? perhaps "take your time" was not the best statement :p. Anyways, just kidding. Please update me.

I guess 720p is no good on this mobile phone. Loaded a few movies, some played well, some frame rate were not good, but for all movies the audio is always out of sync :(

I guess you better off with some other phone or wait for a better model. Cheers

I guess 720p is no good on this mobile phone. Loaded a few movies, some played well, some frame rate were not good, but for all movies the audio is always out of sync :(

I guess you better off with some other phone or wait for a better model. Cheers

Thanks a lot for testing it!! I will wait for a better model with 720P playback, another product ? Naah.. i've become a HTC fanboy now :D :)
I've been using HTC salsa for more than a year now, and I find it hard to let go of the UI..

Cheers!!

Great review, Now the price of this phone below under 20k, But there are two things which bothered most of the buyer

1. Lack of the front facing Camera ,
2 . 768 MB RAM - Wish they provide 1GB Ram

Don't care if this can record video @ 720 p.

One thing I need to ask is it possible to transfer installed app from the phone memory to Micro SD card ? Like I read this not possible for Sam's S Duos. If this possible no complain. As 'Unleash to Phone' s review said the user accessible memory is just 1 GB .....
Please any one confirm ?
That's the best part of hTC. Transferring apps is a breeze! Try it at a local store please and see for yourself. I am a Fan of hTc because of this! Agreed that some people do need front cam but RAM is OK for now. However I know at times a few extra MB's are most welcome! :)

- - - Updated - - -

its the same as galaxy s duos, only great advantage is that of cdma+gsm.

Galaxy S DUOS?? Forgot Dual Core Processor Buddy? Plus just my opinion but Build is miles ahead and overall looks!

- - - Updated - - -

meet6600

Bro You did gave important info that's way this review had more info! :) Battery Life is subjective and for me if they could ensure 2 days back up by at least 1800 or 1900 mAH then things would be easier!

Back