HTC Touch Diamond II Review

Hi guys,

Today I bring you an exclusive review of HTC's newest all touch device, the HTC Touch Diamond 2.

This is the newest offering from HTC in all touch windows mobile platform. And this time around it is a refresh of its hugely popular HTC Touch Diamond.

Touch diamond was launched exactly 1 year back and became instant hit with its sleek looks and the power it packed under the hood. It proved that windows mobile devices dont have to be slow, boring, unattractive boxes and can be something beautiful as well. Now this phone is the replacement for that, and comes with very high expectations.

So lets have a look what their latest toy has to offer.

3304a2177c5708eb.jpg

Reviewer's Note: Please note that most of the images are large thumbnails. So to see full version of the same, please click on the image.

[BREAK=Specifications]

Specifications

2G Network : Quadband GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900

3G Network : HSDPA 900 / 2100

Dimensions : 107.9 x 53.1 x 13.7 mm

Weight : 117.5 g

Display : 3.2inch 480x800 Resistive 65k Colour with G sensor for automatic screen rotation

Phonebook : Unlimited (Limited only by memory )

CPU : Qualcomm MSM7200A 528 MHz processor

Operating System : Microsoft Windows Mobile Professional 6.1

RAM : 288MB

ROM : 512MB

GPRS : Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps

EDGE : Class 10, 236.8 kbps

3G : HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2 Mbps

Wi/Fi : Yes, 802.11b/g

Bluetooth : Yes, v2.0 with A2DP

Camera : Primary 5MP Autofocus. Secondary VGA

Battery : 1100mAH

GPS : Yes, Internal GPS Antenna with A-GPS support.

Interface : Multi Purpose Mini USB.

Overall, impressive set of features cramped into single device.

[BREAK=Package]

The Package

HTC this time decided to be little conservative with this phone and the signs of it are there to see for everything. They went conservative on the packaging as well. You dont get odd looking diamond shaped box like HTC Diamond. The Diamond 2 ships in regular rectangular box which is actually very small.

3304a2179a1204b3.jpg

Considering this is very high end offering from HTC, the bundle is also very conservative. You dont get too many things.

3304a2179a140f9d.jpg
3304a2179a167446.jpg

All you get is the Phone, data cable, AC adapter, Manual, Software CD (includes Outlook trial version ), screen protector which is not exactly great quality, Stereo Headphones with mic and extra stylus. So nothing special when it comes to bundle.

[BREAK=The Phone]

The Phone

As I said earlier, HTC has gone little soft with this phone and it shows with its design as well. It is not exactly a beautiful looking phone. HTC have kept it very simple. Nice rectangular bar. And that's what it is.

This time around, HTC has definitely upped their efforts to make sure this phone feels more solid in hand. It feels solid and sturdy in hand, definite improvement over its predecessor.

3304a217b214ece4.jpg

The front has its big 3.2inch touch screen and buttons. The screen has the resolution of 480x800. Such high resolution on 3.2inch screens means very small dot pitch. And this makes the display very crisp and sharp. One of the best I have come across. It is still not the best when it comes to sunlight visibility, but its an improvement over original diamond.

3304a217b212d96f.jpg

The back is one thing which I dont like about this phone. Its glossy finish just like original Diamond making it a finger print magnet.

3304a217b2108b83.jpg

Back has a 5MP autofocus camera and nothing else. But again, its simple flat back and not like original diamond.

[BREAK=The Phone continued]

The Phone Continued

3304a217d1a40ebd.jpg

On the left side of the phone, you have volume rocker to change the volume of the phone speaker as well as the in call volume.

3304a217d19cf827.jpg

The right side just has grill for speaker.

3304a217d1a1f2d7.jpg

The top of the phone just has the power button which also act as sleep / wakeup button like most windows mobile device.

3304a217db0b7698.jpg

At the bottom you have the opening for mic and mini USB multipurpose connector. There is no 3.5mm audio out and this port acts as data, charge and audio port.

3304a217d19f2adc.jpg

The front of the phone has four keys, dial, disconnect, windows and back. The scroll wheel of touch diamond which acted as the touch zoom is not missing and is being replaced by touch sensitive zoom bar.

This zoom bar works really well and now gives much precise control over zooming compared to original diamond.

There is nothing more on this phone, no dedicated hardware camera button, no 3.5mm audio out. HTC have kept it really simple this time around.

3304a217eb84214b.jpg
3304a217eb86297f.jpg

Opening the back and removing the battery reveals the sim card slot. It also has microsd card slot which supports upto 32GB memory. Also the stylus this time around is not magnetic like Diamond which is not the end of the world but it would have been better if they had kept it magnetic.

[BREAK=Using the Phone.]

Using the Phone.

The phone shares its hardware with some other HTC devices like HTC Touch HD and comes with Windows Mobile 6.1

But keep in mind that this phone satisfies all Microsoft requirements for Windows Mobile 6.5(has windows hardware button) and in all likelihood will get official WM 6.5 rom from HTC.

This phone ships with the new improved and slightly modified TouchFLO 3D ( I will call it TF3D from here on ) interface. This interface sits above the ugly Windows Mobile touch unfriendly shell. You can still switch it off and get good old windows interface and look, but you would have to be total nuts to do so.

TF3D is HTC's way to blanket the touch unfriendly windows mobile and put a new face in front of the users. They did it with success in original diamond and other Touch series devices and now they have taken it one step ahead in the right direction.

It is so beautifully done this time around that you will hardly ever go to windows menu to get things done.

Let's have a look at this interface.

[BREAK=TF3D and settings.]

TF3D and settings.

When you first switch on the device you are welcomed to very familiar TF3D screen. The users of Touch 3G, touch viva, Touch Pro will feel right at home. This is not a revolutionary interface, but it has evolved into something quiet functional now.

You have multiple tabs to scroll through. Your music, internet, stocks, weather, sms, mail are now just finger scroll away.

The touch screen on this phone is absolutely fun to operate. It is still resistive, but this is the most responsive touch experience I have had from resistive screen.

The start screen has been changed a bit. And so is the settings tab. Unlike old diamond, now you almost never have to go to windows settings to change anything. Everything is now part of TF3D and is easily accessible.

[BREAK=Phone, Phonebook, Calls]

Phone, Phonebook, Calls

The call dialer is familiar to other HTC devices.

When you are dialing or receiving call, a slider window comes up so you dont accedently press other menus. You can slide it down during call to launch notes or to Hold the call or to mute it.

Call History.

The Phonebook

The Phonebook has not been improved. It still looks the same from outside but now its better to look at. All details are stacked properly.

[BREAK=Photos, Music, FM and Video]

Photos, Music, FM and Video

Those who have used old TF3D will feel right at home when it comes to browsing images, music files and videos. Its exactly as it was before.

You have nice animation when you scroll through images and videos.

It comes with same HTC music player along with Audio booster ( equilizer ) that was present with original diamond. Its quiet good and sound quality is very good considering its an HTC device with windows mobile. In past these types of phones used to be horrible at music playback, but that is not the case. The audio quality is very good with good lows. Bass is spot on and the equilizer works really well so you can adjust it to your liking.

You can browse songs on the device or memory card by album, artist or type.

The default video player and windows media player will play most MP4, WMV files, but if you want wider variety of files like x264, xvid, divx etc, you will need 3rd party application.

I have owned CorePlayer ever since it was released, and it never disappointed me and same is the case here. It played standard DVDrips as well as high bitrate BRRIPs with bitrate upto 1400-1500kbps easily without any issue.

This is thanks to the powerful processor.

The FM is another treat. I cant take screenshots of FM player of this phone as the screenshot app does not work with it. But the player automatically scans and bookmarks the channels. The clarity of sound is excellent.

[BREAK=Messaging & Mail]

Messaging & Mail

Messaging has been tweaked and is now much slicker and functionally much better.

All SMSed from one sender are clubbed together, but the way they are arranged on this device makes it easy on eyes and also easier to read and reply.

Mail support is pretty much standard with complete POP, IMAP, exchange sync options.

[BREAK=Internet & Youtube]

Internet & Youtube

The phone comes bundled with Opera 9.5 browser which when it comes to portable browsing experience, as good as it gets.

Under the internet tab you get option to launch brawser, store some push pages and youtube.

Push pages are basically bookmarks and you can set it to automatically connect to internet and update those pages periodically. So when you open it, they are in front of you immediately.

This is very nice idea by HTC. Sure its not practical if you are only stuck on EDGE or GPRS. But if you are connected to wifi or 3G, this is a nice thing to have.

The large screen resolution also helps a lot when it comes to page viewing.

See for yourself.

3304a2115fab9064.jpg

3304a2115fad3287.jpg

3304a2115faed88d.jpg

Phone's G sensor ( Accelerometer ) changes the orientation between landscape and portrait depending on how you are holding the phone.

Youtube

This phone comes integrated with Youtube browser and player seen on previous HTC phones. This is cool piece of software.

3304a2115fb15a83.jpg

You are shows fav videos just like you will see on youtube home page on your PC, you can search, bookmark your videos and detailed search history is maintained. So you can easily access the videos which you saw before.

Here is the player interface.

3304a2117da6579b.jpg

3304a2117da86337.jpg

[BREAK=Calendar, Appointments and Office]

Calendar, Appointments and Office

The calendar is very simple. You get the month view, and once you click on the date you are taken to more options where you can see the appointments, weather or add new appointment.

This being business phone, ships with Mobile office and adobe reader.

And this is fully functional, meaning you can also edit your documents.

[BREAK=Camera, GPS, Battery Life]

Camera and GPS

Camera

The camera on Diamond 2 has been upgraded to 5MP autofocus. The sensor and overall image quality is good in good light conditions. The phone does not have any flash, so indoor photography in inadequate light does not give good results.

Still this is one of the better cam I have seen on phone.

The video recording is average. Not good enough to be of any good use.

Here are couple of sample pics (click to open full size)

GPS

The phone like other HTC devices with GPS in past ships with the Quick GPS which downloads latest satellite information using internet. This helps in faster GPS lock.

The GPS is provided by Qualcomm's single chip solution. The speed of lock depends on your location. If you are indoor near the window, it takes couple of minutes to take a lock as phone is exposed to less area of the sky.

Outside however it got the lock within a minute.

The main complain is the lack of any bundled mapping software. The phone does come with the google maps preloaded, but that means you will need to have access to data network to use it. With EDGE it works just fine but it means you have to pay data charges.

The large screen again comes handy here. You can see more area in google maps than say iPhone, or HTC Diamond thanks you larget screen resolution which does help specially when you are travelling the car. You get to see next turn before you come too close to it.

3rd party applications are available which you need to purchase separately.

Battery Life

The battery is now 1100mAH which is enough for all you want to do. Taking feew snaps, couple of hours of music, wifi browsing at work and home and barista ;) , 15 mins of phone calls, GPS with EDGE for 45-50 mins and still at the end of the day I have 1 bar of battery left which is sufficient.

When I didnt use GPS, it lasted me more than 2 days.

So its not ground breaking, but more than enough even for heavy use.

[BREAK=Final words]

Final words

What HTC has done with the Diamond II is smart. They didnt go around inventing something from ground zero. They took hardware of Touch HD and they just made everything smaller, slicker and more portable and made Diamond II.

If you look at the technical specifications, they are almost exact match to the Touch HD. But where Touch HD is bulky and heavy, this one is smaller, slick and fits in upper pocket nicely.

So it brings the fantastic multimedia experience, pockatability, impressive touch experience, a good windows smart phone, decent camera, and simple looks into one device. Quiet frankly I am in love with this device and I wont swap it for anything else at this point.

Some people might not prefer all touch device but I am not one of them. For the people with need for full QWERTY hardware keyboard, the Touch Pro 2 with same specification as this phone is now available. But again it compromises on weight and size to achieve that and thats the deal breaker for people like me who would rather have a lighter, smaller phone that can do almost everything you want from a smart phone.

Its a good office phone, great multimedia device and great GPS performance only adds to its positives. But it does fall short of being perfect.

I dont know why HTC couldnt be bothered about putting a simple 3.5mm audio out on this phone. Sure the adapters are cheap and available, but still it would have been better to have a 3.5mm plug.

The second annoying thing is the glossy black cover. It does look shiny but it also means you will have your fingerprints all over it right from your first use. A matt battery cover would have been ideal and in my honest opinion, it would have made it look more mature and classy.

But in the end, I am really happy with the end results. If it was not for these minor flaws, this phone would have received perfect score from me.

This is yet to be launched in India. I got it imported, but even then it came at very heavy price tag of 30k+.

It is expected to be launched here in the price range of anything from 35-40k which puts it in the firing range of iPhone 3G.

Now I know that die hard Apple fans will curse me for saying this, but I would take it over iPhone even at this price. Infact I did by purchasing this :p.

Yes, you have to purchase memory separately. Yes, it does not have capacitive screen, but it is a wonderful smart phone without any restrictions. This is still new, but rest assured it will have huge community support in the form of custom made ROMs, tweaks as soon as HardSPL is released for this phone. XDA developers is a huge community for this and this is where these HTC phones are transformed into something more than just a smart phone. You can make it better than what it is at stock, the way you want it to be and not the way company wants it to be.

This is something other mobiles cannot offer, and this is why HTC loyalists love and stick to these phone.

Thats it from me for now. Thanks for reading.

All comments, suggestions, flames , rants are welcomed :p

Pros

• Great performance
  • Good looks (subjective)
  • Great connectivity
  • Good camera
  • Great Screen
  • Good sound quality
  • Good network receiption and clarity
  • Loaded with features
  • Form Factor. Easily fits in pocket.

Cons

• Expensive
  • Bundle
  • No 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • No bundled MAP software

My Score Card

Performance : 9/10

Looks : 8/10

Features : 9/10

Value For Money : 7/10

3304a21848739fd0.png

330491d6658ae466.png

Please Digg this review here:HTC Touch Diamond II Review

Gr8 Stuff m8!

# No 3.5mm Audio Jack

# No bundled MAP software

These are easily resolved, use a HTC POP port converter and mapmyindia software. Infact i believe if you buy this phone in singapore you would get a disc with the mapking bundle on it. has major indian city maps on it.

Very exhaustive wonderful review. Just want to know following based on my earlier experience with HTC TYTN II:-
1. Average camera video quality is OK for phone with loads of features but I hope video is not jerky.
2. Battery at least last for entire day with 2-3 hrs talk time and limited use of GPS/data

I found multimedia, camera, video and battery life horrible in TYTN II and sold it just in 4 months of use. I hope these are addressed in HTC Touch Diamond II.

axeman said:
Gr8 Stuff m8!
These are easily resolved, use a HTC POP port converter and mapmyindia software. Infact i believe if you buy this phone in singapore you would get a disc with the mapking bundle on it. has major indian city maps on it.

Already done that, had the POP port ever since I bought original Diamond ;)
But yeah that is something that you have to carry with you extra. Not much of an inconviniance, but still it should have been there on device such as this.

I use google maps, I have unlimited GPRS so that does not bother me. And Mapmyindia is paid, you have to spend 2k more for it. And does not work properly at WVGA resolution from the initial reports..

*Raj* said:
Very exhaustive wonderful review. Just want to know following based on my earlier experience with HTC TYTN II:-
1. Average camera video quality is OK for phone with loads of features but I hope video is not jerky.
2. Battery at least last for entire day with 2-3 hrs talk time and limited use of GPS/data

I found multimedia, camera, video and battery life horrible in TYTN II and sold it just in 4 months of use. I hope these are addressed in HTC Touch Diamond II.

Camera has improved a lot when you compare to old HTC phones.
Battery life is good. Not the best in its class but much better than my original diamond. It still sacrifices little on battery for slick and slim looks.

Great review. Any idea on the Touch Pro2 launch and prices? I was looking for a smart phone with kb and touch. My 2 year old P1i is dying on me and I've set my sights on the Pro2.

Good review Shripad. I like the way you've let the pictures do most of the talking rather than post long-winded sentences that can easily bore even the most avid reader.

Naga said:
Great review. Any idea on the Touch Pro2 launch and prices? I was looking for a smart phone with kb and touch. My 2 year old P1i is dying on me and I've set my sights on the Pro2.
The TP2 is already out in Europe. I'm going to receive mine in a day or two and shall post a mini-review later during the week. Stay tuned.

So how do you listen music on headphones? Does it mean we have to use a bluetooth headphone?

How robust is the phone? I had an O2 XDA Atom that was very fragile. I was tired of changing the cracked touchscreen and finally dumped it in favour of a Sony Ericsson P990i which I absolutely hate.

The only good thing about the P990i is that is very solid. It had withstood quite a few drops and bumps. Would the HTC Diamond II withstand drops from a height of 5 ft?

Back