HTC Touch or Funky's Dopod 818 Pro ??

rajshah

Skilled
Am gonna sell off my much loved Imate Jam .....going for a new cell..

Preferably WM 6 !! :)

How's d HTC Touch ??

Is it available here .. with bill n warranty ??

Wats the current prices like ??

Wat i need -

WM

Full PDA

Good Sound

Decent Cam

FM ? :S

Pour in ur views guys.. especially ones who own WM devices !! :)

Thanks.

the htc touch will only work on Airtel network :(...even i was planning to get one. no idea about the dopod 818 tho

off-topic: gr8 siggy :D

the Touch says - 800 / 1800 / 1900 Mhz - There's no reason y it shldnt run on Hutch en all..

Also.. Indiaplaza has it for around 19.5k.. no mention abt it been Airtel only !!

I have a friend whos running the Touch on BSNL. So theres no limitation as such. Though he bought it from the US (T-mobile) and unlocked it after coming back here.

IMO if you buy it from Airtel directly then there might be some sort of lock on it. If you buy it on the open market then no restrictions as such will be there. The problem is that it might not be available freely in open market in India yet with warranty etc without Airtel . Might have to get a grey or from US then.

Its a pretty cool phone by the way. Check out whether you can find a dealer selling it (not from airtel i mean). If you find it, it will be free to use on any network.

oops....my bad... the phone my friend has is an HTC but not the touch. So dont know how it is. Rest everything i valid i guess. Only Airtel must be selling it in India directly for now. Get it from Indiaplaza or somewhere and it will work on any network.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate posts. Just discovered how to edit previous post :D

Touch 101

1) HTC is offering the Touch only through AirTel, which means you can't buy it in the "open" market. Basically since the phone is being provided at a reduced price, the operator (AirTel) has locked it only to the AirTel network. As far as I know, you don't need to get a new AirTel connection to avail this if you already have one.
Price: 19.2k

2) Most phone shops are willing to unlock the phone for you (Price: Rs. 800.00 for unlocking - Verified in B'lore). Since it is a Triband phone, it will work with all GSM networks in India. The only hiccup is that none of the phone shops know if unlocking the phone will void the warranty. Also it's only a matter of time before some one at XDA-Dev cmes up with a free CID and SIM unlocking tool.

3) The Touch is also powered by the same TI OMAP 850 processor as the Dopod 818 Pro aka HTC Prophet aka iMate JAmin. Keeping that in mind the HTC Touch with TouchFLO would in my opinion be a better buy. Another plus is its stunning looks and size.

@ asidxxx

Why wait a few months? You can get it now... pretty much at any store (low key ones) and most of them will be willing to unlock the phone for you. Ofcourse if you are worried about the warranty then that's a different story.

@All TEites Thanks for ur suggestions !! :)

Btw..

How are these phones when it comes to ruggedness and durability ??

Nokias are the best.. but are the HTC's and Dopod's ok ??

My old Imate Jam shuts off wen the back panel is removed.. the phone is kinda designed that way.. very annoying wen ur back panel is loose as the phone ages :(

Any such issues with the Touch or the Dopod 818 ??

In the past HTC products had been plauged with several problems like paint cracks, loose battery panels, plasticky squeaking bodies etc... basically really cheap exteriors. HTC has gotten better with external body quality over the years. The Touch has really good build quality and seems to be very durable.

Oh and it has a very firm locking mechanism for the battery and the battery doesn't seem to be in any danger of popping out once the cover has been opened... so you can strike of any fears about the device turning off when the cover is unlocked.

Held the Touch today at a store in the morning, and its a very very neat device.

As Satan said, build quality is excellent, too bad I couldn't turn the phone on :(, but the size is just right! :D

^ Thinkin of leaving the P990i behind and rolling with the times eh Anish? :p
But jokes part, it's definitely a head turner and by far the best looking WM device till date.

The contract with airtel can be cancelled after 3 months. So if you dont have a problem paying the airtel bill for 3 months, just buy it. I found it quite heavy for its size though.

Raghu.

Back