Audio HTiB or Separates ?

I think I have read your thread/comment on hifivision with same handle name I guess. Can you tell the damages for your setup?
I got the receiver for 36K and the speakers for 22, I guess. The overall system is way ahead of the what 299 could offer you. I do understand that its little out of the budget but its well worth the spend, if you think the long term usage.

As pointed out earlier, the YHT 299 doesn't pack up enough punch to drive reasonably demanding bookshelf speakers (in case you'd want to upgrade the fronts). Also the sound is somewhat thin/feeble. While I don't say that the soundware is the best system out there but it very well matches my earlier polk audio TSi/Mordaunt Short Avianos. I just downgraded in favor of space usage (live in a rented apartment and the space comes at a premium).

I'd strongly suggest you to stay out of the upgrade cycle and just don't buy stuff which is half good. Decide your max budget and plan ahead, thinking that you won't upgrade for at least 4-5 years. My combination is serving me good and I really don't feel like upgrading to better combination.

Remembers, separates would always give you better long term value than overall value offered by the HTiBs.

Last edited:
^^ This.

1. Identify your usage pattern. Movie packages are not necessarily good for Music and vice versa. Wharfedale Movie pack 5.1 doesn't compare to Diamond series when it comes to music.
2. Get a good amp. Assuming your are getting it primarily for Blu-Ray Movies/High Def TV Shows. Familiarise yourself with Amp sounds. Denon has it's own, Yamaha it's own and Onkyo etc etc.
3. Speakers' efficiency will make a difference to the power consumed. How easily does the amp deliver 100 dB output? While amp and speaker ratings may not be the perfect way to judge thing unfortunately you don't have any other way to scientifically judge the output. Sony JBL power ratings are hogwash. But you do not want to under power your speakers.
4. How big is the room? How far is the seating position? Both big contributors in selecting Amp.

Absolutely drop the idea of an HTiB and upgrading to "better" speakers.

OK, lets consider idea of getting receiver and separate speaker set. Considering extended budget of 45k now!

Usage pattern - 50% music 50% movies ( FLAC, mp3, Blu ray rips with DTS HD MA/DTS etc

Room size - 10x12, seating distance 6ft

Important considerations -

- I will consider only new purchase with warranty, if possible will opt for extended warranty as well.
- Preference with service center availability in Pune. (Yamaha has one), specially for the receiver.
- This will be my final setup that I won`t be considering for next 5 years atleast.

@quixand @edge111hussain @thirumalkumaran

45k - either a movie pack like Denon x500 and BS 5.1

Or Stereo Amp like Cambridge AM10 with kickass Bookshelves like Wharfedale 220, Dali etc.

I don't think you can do both (hybrid) in that budget. Save up or look for good used speakers or amp. I got some used and demo speakers in my setup for half the price works perfectly fine.

Check hifimart for packaged deals and try to price match with your local dealer.

Last edited:
OK, lets consider idea of getting receiver and separate speaker set. Considering extended budget of 45k now!

Usage pattern - 50% music 50% movies ( FLAC, mp3, Blu ray rips with DTS HD MA/DTS etc

Room size - 10x12, seating distance 6ft

Important considerations -

- I will consider only new purchase with warranty, if possible will opt for extended warranty as well.
- Preference with service center availability in Pune. (Yamaha has one), specially for the receiver.
- This will be my final setup that I won`t be considering for next 5 years atleast.

@quixand @edge111hussain @thirumalkumaran
Nah man, 45k is too think a budget to do either. Your will have to go the htib route. If you don't have the budget for a near future upgrade, just drop the bookshelf idea and stick to the htib options available.

The only thing realistically possible for you is to get a norge amp and BS speakers but then that rules out a 5.1 option for good.

A half decent BS is 20k upwards
Center 15k upwards
Subwoofer 15k up
Surrounds = anything will do here, say 5 k
Matching avr, 35k

Now do the math yourself

Nah man, 45k is too think a budget to do either. Your will have to go the htib route. If you don't have the budget for a near future upgrade, just drop the bookshelf idea and stick to the htib options available.

The only thing realistically possible for you is to get a norge amp and BS speakers but then that rules out a 5.1 option for good.

A half decent BS is 20k upwards
Center 15k upwards
Subwoofer 15k up
Surrounds = anything will do here, say 5 k
Matching avr, 35k

Now do the math yourself
45k is too restricted for Separate set. Go Htib route.
Denon 500 fits the bill, Pioneer AJ if you can increase the budget slightly.

Still Want to go by Separate drivers, you'll have to do a staged upgrade. Buy used speakers search Olx /Quickr , their usual life is about 15yrs so nothing dramatically changes with newer versions, sometimes it's the older versions sound better than newer ones (eg. wharfedale diamond 9.5 vs diamond 10.6).

AV receiver needs to be newer version, as the compatibility with current file format matters.

Onkyo, Pioneer if movies are a priority, HK, Marantz if music is. Denon & Yamaha for a mixed usage. But almost all AV receivers can be tweaked to ones liking. The pairing between speaker and AV receiver matters too.

Back