Budget 31-40k HTPC Component advice needed

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
I plan to retire my PC and move into a HTPC soon.

Requirements:

Cabinet Space: 13" (W) 16" (H) 20" (D)
Mobo Acceptable:
Space for 4 HDD's (3.5")
Space for 1 DVD Drive
Should fit a normal mid range GFX Card
USB 3.0 support not mandatory
Water cooling support not mandatory

Technical Needs:
SATA: 6 ports, speed not very crucial
Processor: i3/ i5
RAM: 8 GB
GT640/650 GFX Card with 1 GB RAM - 1 HDMI and 1 DVI interface

HDD's are already selected, hence not mentioning them.
Gig LAN and 5.1/7.1 channel audio are also common, hence skipped this as well.

Based on the above do suggest parts and approx prices, as my current research has led me no-where.

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
I will try to suggest things that are easily available in India towards your HTPC build. You have'nt stated your budget bro :mad:

1] CABINET: Check out the Bitfenix cases - Prodigy Rs 5950 + shipping
Dealer | external link to order (speak to Sudhir)

2] Motherboards - either mini ITX or mATX boards [again note that the quality boards listed below are hard to find 'coz of low demand/stocks]
Asus Maximus V Gene - Rs 14330Asus P8B75 -M-LX - Rs 4380 (Available/Ready for Despatch)
Gigabyte G1 Sniper M3 - Rs 11650 (out of stock in most places) - This is a great board
Asrock Z77E-ITX - Rs 11795 (Available Here/Ready to despatch) - This is a good one too.

3] Cooler - CM Hyper Evo 212 - Rs 2309
Antec Coolers

4] PSU -
Antec - 2 models priced at 1836 & 2600
Options
Corsair CX 430W or VS450

5] GPU
Gigabyte GTX 650 - Rs 9049
Asus GTX 650-DC - Rs 9295

Cheers
Hope this helps
Terry

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
Are you sure this fits in his budget of 31-40k?

Where has OP mentioned his budget (Duh... I ain't drunk lol :woot:) ?[DOUBLEPOST=1365054711][/DOUBLEPOST]
Aren't these a bit pricey/overkill for an HTPC system?

OP's choices 640/650 - or else I would have recommended the 610 or AMD series. In fact OP should first check out the iGPU of the i3/i5 for a month or so & then decide if he really needs a dedicated GPU

In fact, I have not mentioned anything about the proc too (OP is looking at i3/i5). I think AMD would be a better option :bawling:

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Where has OP mentioned his budget (Duh... I ain't drunk lol :woot:) ?

Haha very funny!

1.png

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai

Apologies. I need to "really" change my glasses [both spectacles + whiskey mug]. These HEADERS are a headache :nailbiting:

In fact the "dark-skin" that I have chosen (for the TE interface ..... I cannot see a couple of other things, like
quoted - responses etc

But I will wait as I believe TE is going in for another overhaul/downtime.....

meanwhile I am confused as to what exactly are the number of components that OP needs (to fit in this budget 30-40k)

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
I am using the Blackend theme as well and find it better than the Baisik theme.

Sorry for digressing - BUT can you see read things like (see in this thread)
http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/creative-sound-blaster-z.143755/#post-1808471
- the response by PristineNote "only the following products are available" after that line the rest is all unreadable - unless one selects/highlights those lines using the mouse/drag

Meanwhile, I would wait for OP's feedback as the core components - cabinet; mobo (Asus B75); psu - are all within the budget & with room to spare for the remaining things.

Cheers
terry

renegade

Staff member
Super Mod
Dec 31, 2004
Pune
@Gannu - what exactly are you pointing to? Please explain in a separate thread in feedback corner.

Apologies. I need to "really" change my glasses [both spectacles + whiskey mug]. These HEADERS are a But I will wait as I believe TE is going in for another overhaul/downtime.....
Very funny again.. on a serious note, there are no more changes planned for a long time.

Last edited:

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
@Gannu - what exactly are you pointing to? Please explain in a separate thread in feedback corner.

Very funny again.. on a serious note, there are no more changes planned for a long time.

Done that & created a separate thread to resolve this strange issue (see Feedback) - http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/dark-skin-some-texts-not-legible.147321/

Regarding the "Downtime" some bloke revived this thread a few days back and then some replies kept pouring in...... so I thot, "here we (TE) goes again"..... Until the Mods woke up & closed the thread :spam:

Last edited by a moderator:

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
Grr Trolls!

terence_fdes thanks, your ideas are good, and have pointed me in a different direction.

Budget: anything that can be justified to the better half.

I was considering a coolermaster elite 361 with i3/i5, Gigabyte GA-Z77MX-D3H or similar 6 port mobo with the Lucid Virtu MVP technology, and yes, graphics card can be a delayed purchase in case an i5 can cope up with my basic requirements.

PSU was considering a Seasonic/ if possible a modular unit.

Your thoughts on these?

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
1. Cabinet: Pure HTPC cabbies are hard to come by in India (sleek/designer looks/good build quality+ air-flow). The CM elite 361 IMHO is just a regular run of the mill looks. So the reason why I suggested Bitfenix Prodigy (just check google images to see what amazing things folks have done with this cabby). Of course - there are other HTPC cabbies too from Silverstone available in India.

2] HDD's: I understand you are looking at 3-4 HDD's, maybe more. Why don't you start building, one-by-one larger capacity single HDD's (3 & 4TB drives are now available). Recently on this forum some guys grabbed the oppurtunity of a 4TB drive for around 8k from Amazon :woot:. Have a 60GB SSD for OS & other main apps - so speed/performance will never be an issue.

3] Processor: Are you open for AMD...then look at the A10-5800K Trinity (it's iGPU - AMD Radeon HD 7660 beats the hell out of i3/i5). You also end up saving considerable money (mobo + proc) + no need for discrete GPU, without compromising on performance. Now only if you want to up your fps at max resolutions with Dir X11 games..... then add a GPU. see another discussion here

4] PSU: Seasonic X-Series fully modular are dream psu's which are at least 40% more expensive than the regular ones. What you get - extreme stability; reliability and efficiency of the X-Series results in better protection & longevity of all your other components on your system. Seasonic X-Series has among the best "efficiency" of all psu's compared. The voltage efficiency across all rails are superbly consistent. I am using the X760 since Sept 2012 & no issues with it. The built-in Sanyo denki fan starts spinning (silently) ONLY if threshold limits are crossed. Lastly - you get to use ONLY those cables that are necessary - so better cable management inside the cabby > better air-flow.

However, for an HTPC where the requirement of 450W should more than suffice. Seasonic does not have anything modular below 660W.... at least I have not seen them in India 450w???

HTPC psu's are more compact.

Cheers
Terry

axeman

Ye Olde Systems Breaker
Skilled
Apr 28, 2009
Asleep 1-4
www.torrentleech.org
notings below:

1. Cabinet: Pure HTPC cabbies are hard to come by in India (sleek/designer looks/good build quality+ air-flow). The CM elite 361 IMHO is just a regular run of the mill looks. So the reason why I suggested Bitfenix Prodigy (just check google images to see what amazing things folks have done with this cabby). Of course - there are other HTPC cabbies too from Silverstone available in India. - Saw, more comfortable with a simple clean look, size is similar for both cm and fenix

2] HDD's: I understand you are looking at 3-4 HDD's, maybe more. Why don't you start building, one-by-one larger capacity single HDD's (3 & 4TB drives are now available). Recently on this forum some guys grabbed the oppurtunity of a 4TB drive for around 8k from Amazon :woot:. Have a 60GB SSD for OS & other main apps - so speed/performance will never be an issue. - already enroute, hence mentioned need of 6 sata ports

3] Processor: Are you open for AMD...then look at the A10-5800K Trinity (it's iGPU - AMD Radeon HD 7660 beats the hell out of i3/i5). You also end up saving considerable money (mobo + proc) + no need for discrete GPU, without compromising on performance. Now only if you want to up your fps at max resolutions with Dir X11 games..... then add a GPU. see another discussion here - nope, some of the sw purported to be used demands intel

4] PSU: Seasonic X-Series fully modular are dream psu's which are at least 40% more expensive than the regular ones. What you get - extreme stability; reliability and efficiency of the X-Series results in better protection & longevity of all your other components on your system. Seasonic X-Series has among the best "efficiency" of all psu's compared. The voltage efficiency across all rails are superbly consistent. I am using the X760 since Sept 2012 & no issues with it. The built-in Sanyo denki fan starts spinning (silently) ONLY if threshold limits are crossed. Lastly - you get to use ONLY those cables that are necessary - so better cable management inside the cabby > better air-flow.

However, for an HTPC where the requirement of 450W should more than suffice. Seasonic does not have anything modular below 660W.... at least I have not seen them in India 450w??? - but this will fit a cm 361 then yes?

HTPC psu's are more compact.

Cheers
Terry

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Feb 23, 2011
Mumbai
@axeman..... Err, I found it hard to "read" your notings (I am on the dark skin theme), as you continued with the same font/color {use any available means to highlight your replies} :confused:

So
However, for an HTPC where the requirement of 450W should more than suffice. Seasonic does not have anything modular below 660W.... at least I have not seen them in India 450w??? - but this will fit a cm 361 then yes?

I am not entirely sure whether it will fit the CM Elite 361 - (common sense tells me it should, but I cannot vouch for that). The seating of any psu in this cabby is unique. CM tried to design a case where one can use it either way - horiz or vertically. The psu sits below the optical drive and towards the front side of the case !!!!! Have you actually seen the case ?
Here is some feedback
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119258&Tpk=cooler master elite 361&IsVirtualParent=1
and of a really disgruntled user
I am quite sure that you have done your own R&D (read all the reviews) before you take your decision

I am aware that where PC Cabinets are concerned - opinions are the most diverse (I have yet to see a dream cabinet that has satisfied all). I have some design issues (drawbacks) even with my own cabby - CM Storm Stryker (white) :nailbiting:

NOTE: For the CM 361, it would be good if you also add a few more fans (case comes with ONLY 1 120mm)

All the best
Terry

Last edited by a moderator: