PC Peripherals I am buying a new PC!

I have around max 80,000 to spend.

Companies I am looking at: HP and Lenovo.

I live in New Delhi, India

I want one which can be serviced easily in Delhi.

I wnat a Dual Core Processor with very good RAM and great Graphics Card.
Should have Windows Vista Ultimate and should be able to play all PC games easily.
If it is a Media Center PC then even better.
Should have a wireless keyboard and mouse.
Should have a flast-screen LCD monitor atleast 19''.
Should have atleast 250GB Hard Drive (I would love more).
Should have a DVD Reader and Burner and Writer.
Should have atleast 3.0 GHz.

Thats all. Any added features would be nice.

Thanks
Crazysah

assembled=cheap n ur own config. if u buy branded, u cant open case in terms of any small prob happens, its sealed for warranty n stuffs and also u cant change config which they give(only good dealers can give change in config) upto you. utilize ur 80K properly.

i wud buy:
8800GTS 320MB (20K)
320gig (5k)
19" LCD Wide (15k)
2GIG ddr 2(15k+)
Vista Ultimate Original (15k-indiatimes shopping)
you may buy more. price are approx.. :) so i think fits in budget

How would I go for assembled?

Do I buy it all the stuff myself and then assemble it myself?
Also... if there is a problem who do I report to? Who do I send it to for repairs?

Also if I go for branded... Whats the best option?

Crazysah said:

Also... if there is a problem who do I report to? Who do I send it to for repairs?

Go to SMC International, Nehru palace. Tell them what u need. They will assemble the computer for u and provide decent support if anything goes wrong.

I advice u to go thru TE and decide the best components according to your budget. Spend some time in Rig gallery and see what others have done.

Best of luck:D

yup crazysah you visit some shops in nehru place SMC would be a good place or what area do you live , if your in east delhi then what i have seen is that prices in east delhi and in nehru place arent of any significant difference when it comes to stuff commonly used.

in a budget of 80 K for your pc considering you want VISTA ULTIMATE ( why not in in for MEDIA CENTER EDITION cheaper buy or VISTA HOME PREMIUM unless you think u will be using the functions of ULTIMATE)

Rest you can go in for a good View Sonic 19" LCD screen , check out some other topics to see what configuration you would like to have.

TE_addict said:
Go to SMC International, Nehru palace. Tell them what u need. They will assemble the computer for u and provide decent support if anything goes wrong.

I advice u to go thru TE and decide the best components according to your budget. Spend some time in Rig gallery and see what others have done.

Best of luck:D

What is TE?

Also.. if I go for branded... what is the best option?

Crazysah said:

I too suggest that you get a PC assembled for the following reasons.

1. From what I have seen, the after sales support provided by top brands like Dell and HP is not any better than than what is provided by assemblers. In fact in many cases its worse.

2. The prices given for branded PC's are obscenely high and in the same amount you can get better stuff. Further the motherboards used by the branded PC's are custom made and in most cases of very inferior quality to whats available in retail from brands like MSI, ASUS etc.

3. The quality of assembly is also very bad. I have seen inside many HP, IBM, Dell and even Apple machines and I am convinced that no care is taken to ensure optimal performance of the machine. They try to use as minimal material as possible (ex cables) to cut costs.

4. If you by any chance have to upgrade a branded machine in future, you would have to get it done though the company itself and they will charge at least double the market price for every component.

Heres what I suggest. Take suggestions for the components from the people here. you will get a rough idea of the best components that you can get in your budget and the approximate prices too. Head out to Nehru place to some decent shop like SMC and get the components. You can get it assembled there itself or ask help from one of the forum members in Delhi.

As for the components I suggest the following

CPU - Core 2 Duo E6400
Motherboard - ASUS P5B Dlx WiFi
RAM - 2 GB Transcend DDR2 667 MHz
GPU - 8800GTS 640 MB (Avoid 320MB version if you wanna be future proof)
Disp - Viewsonic 1912 19"/Viewsonic 2025WM 20"
HDD - Seagate 320 GB SATA2
DVD-Writer - Others will suggest.
Power Supply - Antec Neo HE 500/ Corsair HX620
Cabinet - Your choice.

my recommendation is that you buy the components yourself and hen get an AMC....this will take care of all the support needs:

i would suggest:

Intel E6400-11k

Asus P5B vanilla- 9k

Transcend DDR II 667mhz, 2*1gb - 9k

Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb- 27k/ 8800 GTS 320mb - 20k

Viewsonic 19" widescreen: 13k

Antec Neo HE 500W: 6.5k

Chieftech BH-03 cabby: 3k

DVD RW ( Asus DRW-something): 2.5k

Keyboard (microsoft)+ Logitech MX518(if you are right handed): 3k

Vista Home Premium(or any other flavour, as per need)

total ~ 80-82k

will touch 88k if you include the 640mb version of the graphics card

All this will perform much better than any branded PC for its cost

Crazysah said:
Get a AMC? Whats that?

What is ASUS PSB Vanilla?

AMC = Annual Maintenance Contract

Asus P5B Vanilla = a certain motherboard model name

For branded PC's, HCL seems to be a good bet. I believe there's a good HCL Rep here on our forums :lol:

Crazysah said:
Yeah but just incase I have to go for branded PC then which would you suggest?

A Dell Dimension series PC with E6400 processor, 2 GB RAM, 320GB HDD will cost you near the 90k mark excluding the taxes. But it will not have have the high end graphics or the other choice components. The GPU included is a ATi X1300 and it will not be able to handle any of the current gen games. Vista's Aero interface should run fine up to 1280 x 1024 resolution. Not sure about higher resolutions. It will be fine for regular work, but you should forget about games.

You can also try the HP Pavilion series, but they would also be priced in a similar manner.

Crazy_Eddy said:
For branded PC's, HCL seems to be a good bet. I believe there's a good HCL Rep here on our forums :lol:

I dont know how HCL fares now, but it had a very bad name at one time (6 years back) for poor support and not delivering the PC's on time. A very good friend of mine had experience with HCL during that time. He ordered a HCL Busybee PC. They promised delivery in 10 days, but did not deliver. after eating their ears for 2.5 months, He got the PC. It was poor in performance too. On one occasion we had opened up the PC and I found that assembly was not done in a proper manner at all.

Hcl gives excellent after sales support here in delhi, i bought two hcl computers one in 2003 and another in 2005 whenever i had a problem with any hardware component in my pc they would replace it with a new one within 2-3 days, but like everyone here i would buy a assembled pc over a branded one because you can customise it to your needs.

Crazysah said:
Should have Windows Vista Ultimate and should be able to play all PC games easily.

If that is what you want , then you can forget all branded PCs since none of them come with a good graphics card that will let you play even current gen games at decent resolutions.If you wanna buy branded, then forget about games.Buy abasic zenith config. for around 28 k that will let you do everything except play games,buy an xbox360 for 27k and go buy an lcd tv to enjoy those games.

Else go for a assembled PC.Now most branded pc makers offer 1 yr. or two yr. warranty for the product.On the other hand if you buy an assembled pc, the shopkeeper will give you 1 yr. warranty for the whole computer and also offer you seperate warranty for the individual parts (3 yrs. for proccys,mobos, 1 yr for dvd writers,etc, 5 yrs. for hard drives,etcetc.) So unless you frequently move from one state to another,there is no point going for a branded pc.Like Lord Nemesis said The quality of assembly of branded ones are very bad .It's not easy to upgrade branded computer.

Here's the config you should go for:-

CPU - Core 2 Duo E6300---- Rs 9.1k

Motherboard - MSI 965P Neo-F---- Rs.6k ( Since i don't think you will be overclocking) or you can go for Asus P5B vanilla- 9k.

RAM - 2 GB Transcend DDR2 667 MHz--- Rs.8k

HDD - Seagate 320 GB SATA2-- Rs4.6k

DVD-Writer - Sony DRU 810a---- Rs.1.9k

Power Supply - Antec Neo HE 500 ---Rs.6.4k

Cabinet - Zebronics jamaica ---Rs.3k

Disp - Aviod 19 inch monitors and get this -- Viewsonic 2025WM 20" Rs.18.5k.It's much better---believe me.

Speakers-- Mx5021-- Rs7.5k

Graphics card ---- 8800GTS 320 MB --Rs20k or 8800GTS 640 MB Rs.27k( go for this one if you buy viewsonic 20 inch monitor) or you can wait for some time for the 8600 ultra to release.

Keyboard + mosue = buy anything you like.

Total cost :--- Around 85 k and if you wanna spend less than that go for atp3 speakers for 2.6 k instead of mx5021.Then the cost would be Rs.80k.But i do suggest you spend the extra 5 k and get MX-5021 instead of ATP3.

Also i would suggest you go for windows XP or windows XP MCE as many games currently don't run properly on vista.SO buy vista only after 6 months or so_Or make it dual boot to run both vista and XP and play games on XP.

I am only going to be buying this computer in End of March/Start of April.

What about Dell? Is there service good in New Delhi? Can I easily get it repaired? I know Dell has a gaming PC?

Back