I am losing my mind at this unsolvable PC freezing issue (please help)

gilfamc

Recruit
In early March, this year, I purchased a new gaming PC. Along with the store, I chose my components and parts and they put it together for me.

But the thing is, it keeps freezing whenever I play games (and sometimes when randomly using it). The type of freeze where everything stops, and a strange loud buzzing sound accompanies it.

I have tried updating all the drivers, re-installing the nvidia driver, manually updating to the most recent windows version, cleaning up temp files and corrupt files, nothing worked.

After this, I went to the store where I bought the parts and where the pc was assembled for testing and a diagnosis.

They performed the following tests:"Furmark 1h, Intel Burntest 1h, Unigine heaven 5 loop, Superposition 10min, CS:GO (10 rounds), Successful HDD and SSD tests".
Then telling me the hardware was all fine so it had to be a software/OS issue, recommending I re-install a fresh version of Windows.

I did this, but the issue continues exactly the same.

I'm losing my mind because it seems like I've covered every possible solution and nothing has worked. If you have any ideas or advice, please help!
My specs are as follows:

• Processor: Intel core i9 9900 F 8 Core
  • Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
  • Graphics card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
  • Ram: 32GB (16x2)
  • Power Source: Modular Corsair RM 750x 80+ Gold

Have you checked the temperatures? And if the fan is spinning properly?

The buzzing sound could be the warning tone from the motherboard speaker for either excessive temperature or low/no fan rpm.

Hi,
In addition to what @Julian said, I would suggest run a memtest(2 loops minimum) also, and just to clarify do you hear the noice though the computer speaker or outside of it? I would suggest you leave the side pannel open and when you hear the noise try to locate the source.

Regards

I have gone through something similar almost over a decade ago and it sounds like a temperature problem.
I too had carried my pc to the repair guy as well and everything ran perfectly while I was there but when I returned home I encountered the same issue again.

The problem was the way I had positioned my case under the table, there was not enough room for it to suck in cold air or push out hot air and it kept circulating the same hot air resulting in overheated VRM's causing a shutdown. The same problem couldn't be reproduced at the service guy because they placed it on a workbench where it was not choked for air.
Move your case to a well ventilated position if it isn't already, run some intensive games or apps and keep an eye on the temps.

Is there any dust in the cabinet? Try keeping the side panel open to see if the freezing occurs with the case open.
Also definitely check your CPU and GPU temps - Download MSI Afterburner and Core Temp and monitor them as you stress test the system.
You may also need to re-apply thermal paste for only one or both of them, make sure to get a good quality one and have good contact between the core and heatsinks

Lastly make sure your case fans are creating a positive pressure airflow in the case - front intake fans drawing in fresh air and top and back fans blowing it outward clear of any obstruction.

eeb757d55799e950811d16ee45786daa036fe4c0

Is there any dust in the cabinet? Try keeping the side panel open to see if the freezing occurs with the case open.
Also definitely check your CPU and GPU temps - Download MSI Afterburner and Core Temp and monitor them as you stress test the system.
You may also need to re-apply thermal paste for only one or both of them, make sure to get a good quality one and have good contact between the core and heatsinks

Lastly make sure your case fans are creating a positive pressure airflow in the case - front intake fans drawing in fresh air and top and back fans blowing it outward clear of any obstruction.

eeb757d55799e950811d16ee45786daa036fe4c0
Thanks for the reply! I have indeed checked all temperatures and they are within normal ranges. The diagnosis the store ran also concluded there is no excessive temperature. What confuses me is the fact that their diagnosis found nothing wrong with any piece of hardware. Yet the issue remains even after a clean install of Windows.

I have gone through something similar almost over a decade ago and it sounds like a temperature problem.
I too had carried my pc to the repair guy as well and everything ran perfectly while I was there but when I returned home I encountered the same issue again.

The problem was the way I had positioned my case under the table, there was not enough room for it to suck in cold air or push out hot air and it kept circulating the same hot air resulting in overheated VRM's causing a shutdown. The same problem couldn't be reproduced at the service guy because they placed it on a workbench where it was not choked for air.
Move your case to a well ventilated position if it isn't already, run some intensive games or apps and keep an eye on the temps.
This is a really good tip, thanks! I too keep my pc under my table. I'm going to try your solution and see if it solves it!

Hi,
In addition to what @Julian said, I would suggest run a memtest(2 loops minimum) also, and just to clarify do you hear the noice though the computer speaker or outside of it? I would suggest you leave the side pannel open and when you hear the noise try to locate the source.

Regards
I ran a couple memtests, and the store says they did as well, and none of them found any issue. The noise is heard through the Computer speaker yes, which is inside the monitor. Is there any chance there's a compatibility issue with the monitor and the componentes?

Have you tried running some Memory diagnostic tests ? Like Memtest86 and windows memory diagnostics?

Thanks for your answer. Yes! So far none have found any issue with memory.

Have you checked the temperatures? And if the fan is spinning properly?

The buzzing sound could be the warning tone from the motherboard speaker for either excessive temperature or low/no fan rpm.
All fans seem to be functioning well. And the temperatures are within the recommended range. Only the CPU ran somewhat high from my view (around 90ºC at high performance) but the store said that was normal for a i9 (?)
As for the buzzing sound it seems to come from the general speaker and not from the pc case.

Just a tip which might help. Off late I'm facing sudden hiccups on my old gaming rig. I found that firefox was the culprit. I disabled gpu acceleration and things are under control.
Will recommend to disable gpu acceleration wherever possible not required.
Another way is to downgrade nvidia drivers.
The strange loud buzzing sound, doest it come from fan, speakers or ups?
In BIOS, disable the setting something called AI fan auto fan etc to run the fan at full rpms.

Even i was having same issues 'nd i am using AMD now. Learned that the Auto-Overclock option was the issue, disabled it and now the games are running fine.

I faced the blue screen + buzzing sound issue 3-4 months ago in win 10.
It happened while playing videos in VLC. All of sudden , pc will freeze with quick pulsating sound from speakers and then it will end in blue screen. In my case win 10 updates + reinstall of vlc solved the issue.

Usually the freezing issues originates from drivers but can also extend to hardware issue including RAM, CPU thermals, motherboard issue etc.

The question to ask is " Is this issue from day 1 ( or first 1-2 weeks of purchase ). If yes then it may be a(ny) rouge component.

I suggest
  1. You put up a checklist of observations, when it started, what are most common triggers, what tests / checks you have done for respective components.
  2. Did you check CPU paste ? There was a case where someone forgot to peel of the plastic from cooler
  3. Next, try to run the system with open cabinet. See if that does the trick.
  4. Another thing to do could be to run Linux. Set up a Linux live disk or install it. Start using your pc via Linux. Browse, watch movies, run benchmarks , generate load etc. Run it for few hours and observe
  5. In the end, scramble. Dismantle and re-assemble the system with new cables

Back