Mac OS I finally get it about Apple fanboys

I need to add here that the VAIO absolutely sucks in all departments - I am not too aware of the absolutely top of the line VAIO though. I have a Thinkpad, and it lasts pretty long if left on standby. I once opened it after 5 days and it still had around 12% left. Windows 7 64 bit.

deepakvrao said:
Sounds like a company that we all should have bought stock in?
Absolutely! When the third gen iPod and OS X Panther came out in quick succession, it became quite obvious to me that Apple were targeting the mass market in a big way. If Apple were listed on the BSE, I would invest half of my savings into them! Unfortunately, buying NASDAQ shares were a bit too complicated to my liking. So I decided to go thru a relative, but due to the risk and complication in this, I went in for a small amount - 50 shares. That costed me Rs. 20k or so in 2003. I sold 20 shares in 2010, and the rest 30 in June 2011 (I believe Apple has peaked) for a cool return of Rs. 9 lakhs in total. :D

Sub said:
I went in for a small amount - 50 shares. That costed me Rs. 20k or so in 2003. I sold 20 shares in 2010, and the rest 30 in June 2011 (I believe Apple has peaked) for a cool return of Rs. 9 lakhs in total. :D

Bloody hell! That sure was one hell of an investment! :O

Whoever said Apple sucks! :p

Sub said:
Absolutely! When the third gen iPod and OS X Panther came out in quick succession, it became quite obvious to me that Apple were targeting the mass market in a big way. If Apple were listed on the BSE, I would invest half of my savings into them! Unfortunately, buying NASDAQ shares were a bit too complicated to my liking. So I decided to go thru a relative, but due to the risk and complication in this, I went in for a small amount - 50 shares. That costed me Rs. 20k or so in 2003. I sold 20 shares in 2010, and the rest 30 in June 2011 (I believe Apple has peaked) for a cool return of Rs. 9 lakhs in total. :D

Oooo la la:cool2:

asingh said:
We all had to, did we not. Are you trying to say that the mouse is much easier to use than a keyboard. Yes, for some tasks the point-and-shoot is better but not always. You had highlighted a typing constraint so I replied in conjunction. Incidentally I started my computer life on the below mentioned. Probably most of the crowd here was not even born then, or were suckling on bottles. :) It has no mouse and was DOS oriented. I learnt how to type of that, with my hands covered with a yellow cloth. Yes, that is how we were taught. Quite Shalion style.............! :) So you can understand where I am coming from, regarding typing.
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i450/anilasingh1977/BBC_Computer.jpg
Everyone should learn how to type if they want to be net-savvy instead of typing like grannies or children playing marbles....!
Repped, liked and respect +1 !

sunny27 said:
Reputed enough(see the rep meter) and smarter than you possibly are.
Reps are like e-penis. Your real life measure might be totally opposite. :p

@Thread, this debate is never ending. Lets each of us go our own ways and hope the thread dies peacefully. Things are already getting uglier !

Sub said:
Single post, that pwned entire thread ! :bleh:

alekhkhanna said:
Repped, liked and respect +1 !

Reps are like e-penis. Your real life measure might be totally opposite. :p

@Thread, this debate is never ending. Lets each of us go our own ways and hope the thread dies peacefully. Things are already getting uglier !

Now this is interesting. :rofl:

BTW, this is not ugly. There are worser stuff that you may have missed :p

challapradyumna said:
IMO . Apple Products are Targeted towards the non-geek Or average person who needs to do some basic word processing and internet surfing on a daily basis and an occasional photo edit and video edit And it does well in what it is designed for. Simplicity being its main feature but it comes at a hefty price. When it comes to windows , it comes in all price ranges. It is also simple but not as simple as Mac but still when it comes to the Geek or the Power user , for the same price he can get a beast which can blow anything. Windows are way more customizable and has lot more software(freeware) available.

About the status thing- Yes Apple products have become a status symbol because an average person cannot afford it.

i dont mean to be rude, but i am utterly surprised someone could say something like this.. .. Mac only for general purposes??? i think you need to have a look at the basic photo edit and video editing uses that you're talking about .. the software which is available on the mac, Final cut pro, is one of the best video editing softwares around and is an industry standard, professional level video editor even used by production houses who are investing money in 8 figures to make a movie..

one of the best animation studio, pixar, uses apple computers for all their work. .(yes, steve jobs WAs one of the founder, but thats not the point here). but the point is, apple computers are capable and have applications used by industry professionals. .

steve jobs did believe in making a computer which is simple to operate for the masses.. but that doesnt mean it is for users with simple needs. .

take any software, photo editing, (photo editing), video editing, (adobe premier, final cut pro), 3d animation (which i personally use) autodesk maya.. and see how much better they work.. even the renders in 3D Applications are so much faster on a mac.. and properly in tune .. so that the software never hangs or crashes. one of the biggest problems in windows..

I am not just an apple fan, i do use windows, and i respect it for its wide compatibility and flexibility that it offers, but apple is truly a special product. and not just because it cashes in on a premium pricing, its because they've managed to provide which no other company has been able to ..

an excellent operating system, excellent product designing. .neat and elegant.. and all this is due to apples ideology that the software and hardware should be completely integrated with each other.. ie, the software should be made specifically made for the hardware it is intended to run. .i've already said this before.. though windows is commercially way more successful than a mac, u cant deny that overall the functioning of a mac is much better than windows.. and in no way just for simple basic level users.. .it doesnt matter even if you dont believe so, because bill gates does.. look up the internet and see the video. bill gates himself admitting that the working of the mac was better than his windows.. and that mac os is a better operating system..

^ Pixar aint owned by apple.Its a different company and most of the movie making industry uses the mac.

even people who work at microsoft use the mac.

Disney owns Pixar. Steve Jobs was/is one of the major share holders of this company. Apple Inc. has nothing to do with Pixar.

Disney announced on January 24, 2006 that it had agreed to buy Pixar for approximately $7.4 billion in an all-stock deal. Following Pixar shareholder approval, the acquisition was completed May 5, 2006. The transaction catapulted Steve Jobs, who was the majority shareholder of Pixar with 50.1%, to Disney's largest individual shareholder with 7% and a new seat on its board of directors.

Source: Pixar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for Pixar using Macs, it is owned by Apple. What do you expect from them?

You won't see a company using competitor's product.

Yes i did mention that the reason was because steve jobs was one of the founder.. but thats not the argument.. the argument started with the mention that apple computers are only good for people with basic uses like say some typical office work or net surfing.. etc.. my mention about pixar was only to highlight this wasnt the case.. apple computers are pretty advanced .. and definitely work better than windows. though they do not provide the flexibility to tweak and make changes to the system like windows does..

I would also like to add that Steve Jobs had done a PHD on a "Pixel"!!! His sense of visual equilibrium is certainly seen well in apple products and UI.

Interesting thread. Quite what I expected. Without furthering any war, let me chip in here with some views.

Mac OS runs well because it is specifically designed for one type of hardware only. Even jobs said in a keynote that the best h/w makers also develop their own software. Thus, the OS is optimized for the intended hardware which results in a mostly glitch-less operation (though I am not sure if some issues related with OSs such as deadlock are taken care of by doing so). What this also does is allow the developers to hard code many configuration options in the OS code. Thus, the average-end user, while having limited options, is spared the overhead of configuring their systems to get the best performance. This is the advantage (or otherwise) of a closed ecosystem where the h/w is married to the s/w.

Windows, linux, android (for portables) are platforms which support a variety of hardware (which of course meet the minimum system requirements) and thus have to be configured accordingly. While power-users take it as a challenge, it is not very appealing to someone who just wants things done. But having more options also means more compatibility with a variety of hardware and s/w.

A good analogy would be console gaming vs. pc gaming. Consoles are more user-friendly as you pop-in a game and play straightaway. PC games generally have a dozen options to optimize the game for your pc type. Both exists and are flourishing but still happen to cause flame wars not unlike the one we see here
<

Welcome to the family sir!

You will love it for sure.

Sent from Galaxy S2

...is it just me or there is something not so right about the above Quoted comment....

So much of a Mac Fan using an S2 ??
<

^^Hehehe, I am a Mac fan too [new], and I love my S2 too. I think if the iphone were better priced in India, I might have given it a shot. It is the one product that is ridiculously priced here.

...is it just me or there is something not so right about the above Quoted comment....

So much of a Mac Fan using an S2 ??

Oh!Is there anything wrong there?

Using a Mac does not make you a fanboy.

I love both Android and i o.s,but prefer SL or Lion over Windows7.

Sent from Galaxy S2

Back