I-phone 4 dilemna.

zrey911

Disciple
Hey..As the title mentions its about buying an I-phone 4.The issue is that currently my sister in U.S is using an I-phone 4,which is under an AT&T contract,so when the I-phone 5 releases in september,if she upgrades to it then will she able to retain her old phone(I-phone4)? Will her old phone be unlocked? If so then she will be sending her I-phone 4 to me. N also will i be able to jailbreak it and use it with my GSM connection(vodafone) here?
Secondly even if the above mentioned idea doesn't work,then how long after the release of I-phone 5 will it take for the price of I-phone 4 to fall in U.S? and any approximation by how much? :)
Please everybody share your knowledge and help me out.
I have been waiting for a very long time to get my hands on an I-phone 4 so getting very eager and impatient now.Even considering of going to a local I-Store rite away and picking it up for 33K!
Please help me with your suggestions.

Adharkar84: Can u pay a new visit to apple store ? U bought urs in Oct last year. I am talking abt a month back, apple store employees have got a go ahead and sell locked 32 gb for 700 usd and unlocked 32 gb for 750 usd!!
The same is in India, yes, instead of selling locked phones like earlier times, they are selling unlocked iPhones in India too. But the price is not right :p

@distro:

You are right. I did not see the information. I am embarrassed to argue and being an American I do not know what's going on in my own backyard :ashamed:

But to my defense, I am in bangalore since April and this came out after I left my home :bleh:

Anyways one thing to consider is that, the iphone 4 does not have compatible bands with T-mobile hence no 3g.

Sorry for my wrong information. Guess I was too confident. Also I am seeing and appreciating how people are educated about what's going around :clap:

aradhakr84 said:
I am sorry but you cannot unlock it if you buy from Apple store period. Because in US, IPhone 4 is either locked to Verizon or ATT even if you buy it from Apple store. Maybe if you buy from Canada, fine. But never in USA.

I went and bought one personally for 499 last year October and at the time of purchase, they activate my ATT number. You have two options when you buy the phone from Apple store:

1) Either start a new contract

2) Upgrade your existing contract

Also each phones come with ATT sim in the phone. So I am sure of it. As I have purchased both 3gs and 4 from Apple store. You can only unlock it by yourself as ATT will never unlock and I am sure about that.

I am a good customer with 11 years and continuing. I was with them back when they were "Cingular" and that was when I was in High School (16 years old) While they are prepared to offer me discounts and free upgrades. They never said that they would unlock due to agreements with Apple that ATT has. Other phones yes, they would in a heartbeat. But not the iphones.

its changed now

unlocked are available

ok didnt read your previous post before commenting

At&T will unlock Iphone

if you are going out of country

Whatever distro has told is correct

Its same for verizon and At&t

If your account in good standing blah blah is all correct

they do unlock

aradhakr84 said:
@distro:

You are right. I did not see the information. I am embarrassed to argue and being an American I do not know what's going on in my own backyard :ashamed:

But to my defense, I am in bangalore since April and this came out after I left my home :bleh:

Anyways one thing to consider is that, the iphone 4 does not have compatible bands with T-mobile hence no 3g.

Sorry for my wrong information. Guess I was too confident. Also I am seeing and appreciating how people are educated about what's going around :clap:
lol, dont feel embarassed and damn, we were no where arguing ( have u seen the Indian Parliament discussing bills :p ) and just dont say but show the appreciation ( get the hint :p )

Yup, the No-3G with T-mobile is a bummer. And hopefully, it will be sorted in i5.

@kuduku thnx for the support.

Thanks to everyone.. I guess i'll jus wait for the release of iphone 5 and then tell my sister to send me her iphone 4.But i have to tell her to make sure to get it unlocked by AT&T first rite?

That is what I am thinking and said in my other posts. Maybe you can buy a new one unlocked. But existing ones cannot be unlocked due to Agreement between Apple and ATT. I am glad atleast I am right on one thing. ATT never unlocked Iphone 4 for me despite being a customer for 11 years and counting. They said they can offer me free upgrade but never unlocked my iphone.

^^I am hoping you are wrong for obvious reasons :p I will anyways tell my sister to call up AT&T and talk to them.Will update once she speaks to them.It will be more clear after that.

Back