User Review I switched to M1 Macbook Air

This is the year which will be remembered as the year of the M1 Chip.
Apple has taken its time and decimated the competition!!
Intel and AMD have to go back to the blackboard again and bring in their A Game or its the END GAME!!
I was a hybrid windows lover and experimented with a lot of devices but the things I do is best done on this puny macbook air!!
I am mighty impressed.
Just wish it had touch screen!!

M1 iPad Pro
M1 Macbook AIr
M1 Macbook Pro
M1 iMac

Last edited:
what is the screen resolution you are comfortable with? as u r coming from surface based laptops?

BTW, if u haven't taken applecare, better take it... These first iteration devices tend to give unknown surprises/shocks :(. Earlier it was USB-C fault when other external hub used and now display cracks seems to common issue.

what is the screen resolution you are comfortable with? as u r coming from surface based laptops?

BTW, if u haven't taken applecare, better take it... These first iteration devices tend to give unknown surprises/shocks :(. Earlier it was USB-C fault when other external hub used and now display cracks seems to common issue.
Don't frighten me bro :(

That chassis is a several year old design BTW .. Not to say that people haven't got cracked screens - but a bit curious why this would start happening so many years later

More the units sold
More will be problems reported
Agreed, but this isn't just more problems - it's the exact same problem being reported by a number of users who report the issue taking place in similar circumstances. This looks more like a design flaw than something random. Much like their butterfly keyboards and the display cable issue.

That chassis is a several year old design BTW .. Not to say that people haven't got cracked screens - but a bit curious why this would start happening so many years later
the problems mainly reported in m1 series, so i'm not sure where is this logic of so many years later comes... nevertheless as everyone know apple will charge bomb for repairing these devices, my suggestion is to opt for ACP.

the problems mainly reported in m1 series, so i'm not sure where is this logic of so many years later comes... nevertheless as everyone know apple will charge bomb for repairing these devices, my suggestion is to opt for ACP.
M1 Macbook air series has sold 10 times more than any macbook air ever sold

M1 Macbook air series has sold 10 times more than any macbook air ever sold
A design flaw can exist in any product, be it one which sells 10million units a day or 50 units a year. There's no correlation between number of products sold and products with design flaws.

2011 thread of macbook air screen cracking

Now this m1 is 70pc more sold than any other series per year so definitely blame will come
So you are saying having a design flaw is acceptable?
Imo this highlights the problem even more - this deisgn flaw has now existed for a decade, and looking at how Apple handled the keyboards and graphics failure in the last, maybe they'll start issuing recalls about 5-6 yrs from now.

A design flaw can exist in any product, be it one which sells 10million units a day or 50 units a year. There's no correlation between number of products sold and products with design flaws.

So you are saying having a design flaw is acceptable?
You didnt get my point.
What i am saying is

This flaw was always there but widely reported now due to much much higher sale volumes!!

Hope that makes sense now

You didnt get my point.
What i am saying is

This flaw was always there but widely reported now due to much much higher sale volumes!!

Ah alright, makes sense. Still doesn't put Apple in a good light. For the world's largest company which probably pours more in R&D almost all other companies, having this design flaw be present for a decade on their premium notebooks isn't a good showing. There's always seems to be one thing or the other going on with them, be it keyboard, heating issues or something else lol

Anytime anything new comes out that gets a lot of hype, it is always accompanied by a lot of FUD as well.
Some of the FUD turns out to be based at least partly in reality while some is just hype.

The point I am trying to make is that if there are multiple complaints of chip or board failure, it is more likely to be rooted in reality (new and relatively untested design)..

Vs complaints of screen cracks when the exact chassis reused has been in existence for many years and has had no reports of a fundamental flaw in rigidity or design all these years until now.

By the way I am not saying OP should not (or should ) get ACP.. just that these reports of screen cracks should not weigh in too much in his final decision ..

I'm not going to argue on this.. its OP's choice finally whether to opt for ACP. My original post here was, this is first iteration, naturally will have issues going further. first it was chip/board failure due to usage of usb c hubs(even apple's own one), screen cracks and in future it could be anything, which anyways will be fixed in upcoming iterations.

You didnt get my point.
What i am saying is

Sales volumes have actually never been low.
Current volumes are higher than in the past but even before M1, Apple has usually been the fourth highest selling make after Dell, HP, lenovo ..But more than Acer/Asus etc..

Add the fact that unlike Dell/HP etc where the sales are spread between a very large number of lines, their sales have been largely for two lines alone
As a standalone model, the current chassis would have been in the top 3 models globally for many years now
I'm not going to argue on this.. its OP's choice finally whether to opt for ACP. My original post here was, this is first iteration, naturally will have issues going further. first it was chip/board failure due to usage of usb c hubs(even apple's own one), screen cracks and in future it could be anything, which anyways will be fixed in upcoming iterations.
Not arguing per se...
Choosing ACP or any other extended warranty is a function of individuals' risk appetite..

The only laptop for which I have taken ACP is the 2019 MBP because the known failure rate for that was higher than usual.

For the M1 line specifically, the failure rate is still largely unknown but seems to be on the lower side.
Also, the USB c failure that you refer to was confined to users using pd charging with no name pass through hubs.

I know this specifically because I too was concerned about these reports as I needed to use mine with a hub.
Got around it initially by using 1 port for charging and a Chinese generic for peripherals alone on 2nd port - and later got their dongle..As far as I am aware , there were no reported cases of failures with a A2119

Last edited:
Back