Linux I upgraded from Xubuntu 18.04 to 20.04 and everything became faster.

6pack

ex-Mod
Just a note on how good upgrading systems in Linux has come to over the years.

I was hesitating on upgrading from 18.04 to 20.04 mostly because I've seen people complaining about their systems not booting up properly, things going wonky etc. I've installed a lot of ppa's in my system - like mpv, qbittorrent, ffmpeg, etc. All these got disabled during upgrading and still all of them got upgraded to the 20.04 versions. Just had to remove and replace the ppa from bionic to focal. No hitch in upgrading or booting up. Even the zram swap I had made was just as it was. Even the conky script that autoruns at startup, ran fine and shows me the data I want. Best thing is the themes I had saved all work and all look much better compared to the 18.04 version. wow. All the updating and upgrading took place without any hiccup and took about 2 hours since its a low end celeron and just a low speed hdd and 4GB ram. Even booting was really fast now. Close to a minute compared to 2 before.

Forgot to add, 1GB space got freed up too. All the old versions of FF, Chrome etc got removed and saved space compared to new versions.

r_1126713_Tj77H.jpg

My experience upgrading Pop OS 18.04 to 20.04 hasn't been such smooth. Stopped trying to upgrade versions now, I end up doing a clean install whenever I need to upgrade.

been using 20.10 for a couple of months now, I really hate the gnome that comes with it, but mate has been pretty good overall. but then I use it as my daily drive at work. mostly coding stuff mostly I live in the terminal for most of the day. Thinking about switching to fedora with kde plasma desktop, trying it in a vm for now but will decide if nothing in my day to day workflow breaks. before this I was on 19.10 and 18.04 for a while. initially I hated Netplan for configuring network but gotten used to it later.

btw, you guys are rookies. Real men always built their own linux. :p

I have been trying to find a single board computer that has PCIe slot so that I would jam in a LSI controller and build a small objectstore/nfs/samba with a bunch of hdds. we kinda do that at work using ceph on Kubernetes but it could be a lot simpler on single board computer and something like btrfs for home nas.

I use Ubuntu 20.04 for machine learning and it's super smooth, you can theme it to make it look like elementary OS. I am not going to upgrade to 20.10 though, it's better to stay on LTS because the newer releases have severe bugs.

I use Ubuntu 20.04 for machine learning and it's super smooth, you can theme it to make it look like elementary OS. I am not going to upgrade to 20.10 though, it's better to stay on LTS because the newer releases have severe bugs.
I've used the latest Ubuntu version - sometimes the beta release (19.10, 19.04) - on desktops and laptops for the last 4 years. Some versions have had relatively major bugs but in general a fully released Ubuntu version does not have 'severe bugs' IMO. Plenty of people run the latest Ubuntu version (not in production, obviously). Even among rolling-release distros, plenty of them are quite stable for everyday use and do not constantly have severe bugs.
Also one of the USPs of elementary OS is that they have their own desktop environment and basic utilities. You can theme Gnome to look like their default theme for Pantheon, but it won't be exactly the same.
If you have multiple monitors with different DPI scaling required - e.g. a 4k monitor and a 1080p or less monitor - then your only *easy* option is a distribution that uses Gnome.
I feel like in today's day and age that's an important consideration - if you work with code then I feel once you get used to high-DPI text it's hard to go back. Or if you just like to have multiple monitors but haven't necessarily bought all matching monitors.
Disclaimer: If you can use Wayland (have an Intel or AMD gpu) then you have multimonitor scaling in-built, or if you are comfortable with basic shell scripting you can do the same thing as Gnome does, it's not a particularly elegant solution (framebuffer scaling using xrandr). But if you'd like to use a GUI to configure your monitors, and have an Nvidia card, a recent Gnome-based distro is pretty much your only option. Maybe it just seems like a very common use case to me and isn't actually, YMMV.

Back