WTB I want to buy a Mini PCIe 5Ghz Wifi Card and 4GB/8GB DDR4 laptop RAM.

Have a laptop with realtek rtl8723be wifi card and it is only 2.4ghz. will plugging these cards instead of it enable 5ghz wifi or does it need antenna etc ?

Just saw my current laptop has a realtek rtl8723be card and has only one antenna wire I'm guessing 5ghz wont work on my laptop then right ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a laptop with realtek rtl8723be wifi card and it is only 2.4ghz. will plugging these cards instead of it enable 5ghz wifi or does it need antenna etc ?

Just saw my current laptop has a realtek rtl8723be card and has only one antenna wire I'm guessing 5ghz wont work on my laptop then right ?
it will work but you'll need another antennae to make it work with proper reception range. You'll need to attach something like this, and stash the antenna towards the palm rest or up the lid behind the display (atleast that's how ive seen the laptop oems do it.)

These might be available on sites like robu.

3dbi-ipex-pcb-antenna-for-wi-fi-bluetooth-module-with-1-13-ipex-cable-500x500.jpg

I have a realtek 8822ce available, if youre interested.

it will work but you'll need another antennae to make it work with proper reception range. You'll need to attach something like this, and stash the antenna towards the palm rest or up the lid behind the display (atleast that's how ive seen the laptop oems do it.)

These might be available on sites like robu.

3dbi-ipex-pcb-antenna-for-wi-fi-bluetooth-module-with-1-13-ipex-cable-500x500.jpg

I have a realtek 8822ce available, if youre interested.
Can u tell me more about that 8822ce ?
Btw what is this antenna specifically called have searched in the past never found or if u can post a link will be eternally grateful

Can u tell me more about that 8822ce ?
Btw what is this antenna specifically called have searched in the past never found or if u can post a link will be eternally grateful
Sure.

These are called PCB antennaes and the connector is an ipex connector.

Here is one from inkocean which claims to be compatible with 5Ghz.
https://inkocean.in/products/2-4g-5...i-built-omnidirectional-antenna-with-adhesive

I haven't personally bought from them and can't attest to their legitimacy. Alternatively you can also look up wifi PCB antennae on robu which sell for around 50rs. Per pc. I have used them and they do work with 5ghz but range is a bit less than it should be since the antennae layout isnt tuned for 5ghz (since they are tuned for 2.4Ghz) . Nevertheless, gets the job done.

Realtek 8822ce is a wifi 5 pcie m.2 2230 a+e key ngff wireless nic with 5ghz (80mhz) and bt 5.1, 1.2Gbps, 802.11ac,b,g,n , 2x2 mu-mimo + beamforming.

You could call it similar to Intel 9260ngw but is slightly inferior to it.

Last edited:
Back