i3...or something else?

See, Brotha, I can suggest you cuz I myself is getting new CPU, Mobo, GPU, PSU & Cooler after 2 weeks (I have my MBA exam from tomorrow) & I have spend nearly 2 months going through more than 70-80 articles to come to a decision about aspects like,

i) Dual core or Quad Core,

ii) Core i5 or Phenom II,

iii) DDR2 or DDR3,

iv) Asus, Gigabyte or MSI Mobo,

v) How long it will perform more than average

& many more. After going through all these & asking lot of people for their suggestions on Yahoo Answers & other forums, I camr down to the following options for CPU & Mobo (Ranked according to my preference, Price & performance)

CPU:

1) AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (Rs.7,950) [Recommended for Over-clocking]

2) AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz (Rs.6,900)

3) AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz (Rs.6,400)

AM2 MOBO (DDR2):

1) Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H (4.5k)

2) Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2HP (4.5k)

3) Asus M4A78-E (5.5k)

4) Asus M4A78-EM/1394 (4.5k)

Dark Angel is more experienced & thus he can help you. So hope this helps..... I am off ...... See you guys after exam. Bye

I think 80-90% chance is quite high, so will be going to buy Phenom XII 555 instead of X4 and that dual core is itself not bad anyway at that price.

I just wanted to know now that should i go ahead and buy it at the prices available to me or there is a more cheaper way of doing that?

You can go for it from SMC.

GA-MA785GM-US2H

AMD Phenom II 555 BE

So

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition - 4900

Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H - 4250

These are VAT inclusive prices.

Probably shipping should be Rs.50-80 for proccy and Rs.80-150 for mobo. So u end up paying much lower if u are willing to get it from SMC Delhi.

Also if u are open to buying 2nd hand stuff i guess there is a 3 months old Biosatar TA785GE for 3.1k shipped in the members market. You can get that along with the 555BE and save 1k more.

DarkAngel said:
You can go for it from SMC.

GA-MA785GM-US2H

AMD Phenom II 555 BE

So

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition - 4900

Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H - 4250

These are VAT inclusive prices.

Probably shipping should be Rs.50-80 for proccy and Rs.80-150 for mobo. So u end up paying much lower if u are willing to get it from SMC Delhi.

Also if u are open to buying 2nd hand stuff i guess there is a 3 months old Biosatar TA785GE for 3.1k shipped in the members market. You can get that along with the 555BE and save 1k more.
they dont seem to have the 3.0 USB mobo, sorry for the trouble but could I know where could I get that from?

Mephistopheles said:
they dont seem to have the 3.0 USB mobo, sorry for the trouble but could I know where could I get that from?

:lol: USB 3.0 comes with AM3 mobos only IINM and such mobos cost 5.5k and upwards not to add to that the RAM cost of 1.5-2k(Difference that you would have to pay.

USB 3.0 will take sometime to become mainstream as Intel will integrate them into the chipset only by 2012. There are also talks of Intel's new optic fiber technology that could leap frog the USB 3.0 and may become the new standard of technology.

Light Peak Technology

Light Peak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The DDRII Gigabyte mobo has E-SATA which is much faster than USB 2.0 (~2.5x times). So in case u need a external drive with fast data transfer speeds you can opt for that. If needed u can add a USB 3.0 controller to the PCI-E 1x slot in the future.

DarkAngel said:
:lol: USB 3.0 comes with AM3 mobos only IINM and such mobos cost 5.5k and upwards not to add to that the RAM cost of 1.5-2k(Difference that you would have to pay.

USB 3.0 will take sometime to become mainstream as Intel will integrate them into the chipset only by 2012. There are also talks of Intel's new optic fiber technology that could leap frog the USB 3.0 and may become the new standard of technology.

Light Peak Technology

Light Peak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The DDRII Gigabyte mobo has E-SATA which is much faster than USB 2.0 (~2.5x times). So in case u need a external drive with fast data transfer speeds you can opt for that.

Okay, then let me get that one then, it will save me money too :)

BTW, I was referring to the mobo with DDRIII, I do not even want USB 3.0, just said "with 3.0 USB" so that you could understand which one I meant.

But, if DDRIII is not worth it then why do people get it? And why is their no significant performance difference b/w DDRII and DDRIII :S

DDR3 will be worthy when its price comes down. You spend Rs.6,400 for DDR3 4GB while adding Rs.600 more you can get 6 GB of DDR2. Which case do you think gonna get more performance? But when DDR3 comes down to Rs.5,500 for 4GB its gonna be worth of every paisa :D

aercy said:
DDR3 will be worthy when its price comes down. You spend Rs.6,400 for DDR3 4GB while adding Rs.600 more you can get 6 GB of DDR2. Which case do you think gonna get more performance? But when DDR3 comes down to Rs.5,500 for 4GB its gonna be worth of every paisa :D

Errr. Prices are already down to ~5.3k for 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz Kingston. www.deltapage.com
If its a new build then its better to go for DDRIII. But as the OP already has 4GB DDRII i dont think it will make a huge difference. Just My opinion. Wait for others to comment too.

DarkAngel said:
Errr. Prices are already down to ~5.3k for 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz Kingston. www.deltapage.com

If its a new build then its better to go for DDRIII. But as the OP already has 4GB DDRII i dont think it will make a huge difference. Just My opinion. Wait for others to comment too.
Bro DarkAngel full support to you but aercy seems to have problem in realizing this small fact

I have ordered the Phenom X2 555 BE and I have decided to stick with my Corsair XMS2 4 GB DDRII 800MHz RAM.

Now, suggest me a good, reliable and stable motherboard which will go nicely with my proccy (and has good chances of unlocking all four cores) around 5k. (I dont think USB 3.0 or SATAIII will be useful to me in the near future)

ALPHA17 said:
Bro DarkAngel full support to you but aercy seems to have problem in realizing this small fact
I am sorry, I was not aware of such drastic price fall of DDR3s but it's still costly here in Kolkata. I guess, I gotto order them online.

DarkAngel said:
Gigabyte 785GM-US2H ~ 4.25k from SMC.

GA-MA785GM-US2H (rev. 3.3) - GIGABYTE

It supports even the Thubans and has HDMI and E-SATA.

GA-MA785GM-US2H
I just saw the pics of this mobo, I have one WLAN card and one Sound Card (Audigy Value) + XFX HD5770 (Takes Space)

Will all of this get adjusted in that mobo? I mean, I fear that my GPU might cover up one of the pci slots.

And how does My proccy (with 2 cores, unlocked) compare to i3?

Yeah, I have already ordered and paid for Phenom XII 555 BE from SMC

Need to decide on the mobo now, although im 99% convinced to go for Gigabyte 785GM-US2H

OK...since you have ordered the CPU... I hope you know that if you intend to try Unlocking it to Quad Core then you will need Mobo with ACC feature otherwise it is not possible at all.

aercy said:
OK...since you have ordered the CPU... I hope you know that if you intend to try Unlocking it to Quad Core then you will need Mobo with ACC feature otherwise it is not possible at all.
Yeah, That is the main reason of me going for this CPU..And Dark Angel must also know about the ACC feature that you are referring to, that why he recommended me that mobo.

Back