CPU/Mobo i5 3470 Cpu fan not working

Arjun

Skilled
I have been using my PC for watching youtube and browsing only , today i opened it to install a GPU when i discovered that the cpu fan was not running, i never had the PC shut down because of thermal issues.

I ran a bench test from CPUz, temp went to 90c but fan still would not run, i tried to running it through four pin case fan connector but when i turned it on i saw some smoke and burning smell coming out of the fan, i connected a case fan to the CPU fan connector but this also did not run.

What can be done now? how do i diagnose if this is fan issue or connector, i cant even buy another fan from Amazon, its not delivering.

Intel Core i5-3470
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Corsair Vengence 2x 8gb ddr3
PSU Corsair CX400
Zotac 650 TI Boost

Everything is working fine except for the CPU fan, the case fan connector also works fine with case fan.
Post automatically merged:

1589728486989.png

There is one CPU fan connector and one Sys Fan connector. Cpu fan is not working in sys fan connector, case fan is not working in Cpu fan connector. Case fan works in Sys fan connector.

1589730276893.png

There is a possibility that both the cpu fan and the cpu fan connector are dead if case fan is not working with this connector.

Last edited:
Your proccy is lucky to survive at idle averaging 80c. Immediately stop using your system and clean the fan thoroughly and see if its spins or if its gone kaput try to source form someone else goodluck with lockdown...

It is already cleaned, not working, dont know for how long it was not working, it never shut down due to over heating.

The CPU fan connector is not working, even if i get another cpu fan it will have to be connected to Sys fan connector.

Last edited:
It is already cleaned, not working, dont know for how long it was not working, it never shut down due to over heating.

The CPU fan connector is not working, even if i get another cpu fan it will have to be connected to Sys fan connector.
If you are sure the connector is at fault though you didnt mentioned on fans part or the mobo, you can try another 3 pin connector on the mobo and for fan you can diy. Google for simple mods.

1589916994542.png

Installed in sys fan connector, 56c with CPUz stress test running. Installation wasnt smooth as i had to remove the heatsink after i had placed it on the CPU with the thermal paste.

Back