Budget 90k+ I7 CPU advice needed

kreddi

Recruit
Q: What is your budget?
Depends

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Intel E7200 based system

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
nothing

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel I3770K
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB WIFI or (any best motherboard)
GPU - Sapphire AMD/ATI HD 7950 OC Edition 3 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card or any other good one
RAM - G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 16 GB (4 X 4 GB) or Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16 GB (4 X 4 GB)
Hard disk - Seagate Barracuda 1 TB x 2
Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2UK 750 Watts PSU
Cabinet - Corsair White 500R Mid Tower Cabinet
Monitor - Dell 24" and/or a 32" Smart TV

the above are taken just from my basic search online nothing final... looking to build a good one and no further updates in near future

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

NO.... but going to buy the graphics card a little later may be after 2 or 3 months

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
24x7 operation
Browsing
PS, DW and multiple applications

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Do not want to buy XYZ company product as I heard the after sales service in India is pathetic

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit
Linux
and multiple os installations (virtual pc)

Q: What is your budget?
Depends

Depends on what?

Here is what I suggest --

Intel Core i7 3770 ~18500/-
ASUS P8H77-V ~9500/-
G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x4 1600MHz ~6500/-
Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB x2 ~9000/-
OCZ Vertex4 128GB ~7700/- (from onlyssd.com, use the SSD as your boot drive)
HP (boxed) optical drive ~1000/-
Corsair TX v2750W ~6800/-
Corsair Carbide 400R ~5500/-
DeLL ST2420L ~13500/- OR DeLL Ultrasharp U2312M ~15000/-
LOGITECH MK200 ~700/-
APC BR1100VA-IN ~5000/-

Are you going to game OR not? Which games if you are gaming?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

I am looking on performance and if i put budget into equation i need and should compromise... so

Basically i am a multi tasker and have 2g i5 laptop with 8 gb ram that i feel is hanging or lagging when working (may be bcoz of heat)

so panning to get a desktop with best performance so it makes my work easier and time saving... (thought of buying a xeon cpu but i cant say if i can use it up fully as of today)

i use photoshop,dreamweaver and multiple os installations...

also does the speed of the ram matter? 1600 vs 2400MHz? and what the max supported one

and i am not into gaming as of today but may be in future

Also i am thinking to operate it 24/7 and connect all laptops, tablets and phones (and tv's in future) with it

The above suggested rig will give you very good performance considering your requirements,If you're going to game in future at Full HD resolution then get Sapphire HD7950-24k OR wait and get the GPU later.
You won't feel much difference between 1600mhz ram and above they have very less performance improvement compared to pricing so 1600mhz ram would be good enough for you.
You can connect TV and phones to it,You can do it as you wish.
Hope this helps.:)
I am looking on performance and if i put budget into equation i need and should compromise... so

Basically i am a multi tasker and have 2g i5 laptop with 8 gb ram that i feel is hanging or lagging when working (may be bcoz of heat)

so panning to get a desktop with best performance so it makes my work easier and time saving... (thought of buying a xeon cpu but i cant say if i can use it up fully as of today)

also does the speed of the ram matter? 1600 vs 2400MHz? and what the max supported one

Also i am thinking to operate it 24/7 and connect all laptops, tablets and phones (and tv's in future) with it

But still you must have a tentative budget.

The Core i7 3770 will fit in well. If you want even more performance in multi-tasking, suggest that you look at the Sandy-BridgeE chips for direction (but that means a substantial jump in budget) --
Intel Core i7 3820 ~20000/-
ASUS SABERTOOTH X79 ~24000/-
G.Skill Ares 4GB x2 1866 MHz ~4500/-
[rest components same as earlier]

Not in Intel builds, the rule of diminishing returns applies after a point; after ~1600MHz RAM modules you may step upto 1866MHz modules but beyond that if you plan to buy in India the prices of RAM kits is too expensive to justify their purchase. So this is your call.

If you are not gaming now, do not buy a graphics card. Get one when you figure the need for the same.

Will multiple devices be connected to the PC at the same time?

Hope this helps, Cheerio!

what about i5-3570k? is it good for virtual PC? (multiple OS running at a time???)

Not as good as Core i7's with HT on them. But for most home users with dual-boot they will do fine.

The i5 laptop hanging could be because
1. Less RAM - how much memory are your virtual machines and applications taking? For 8 GB RAM, that should be less than 7 GB total.

2. Overheating, as you say.

3. Issue with operating system or drivers.

4. Low processing power of i5 is a very very remote possibility, even a first Gen i5 will not stall / hang on your described usage with any proper OS and drivers.

I am saying this because the issues could occur on a very high end desktop too. Throwing hardware at the problem may or may not solve it.

Back