Video iBox: It came, I saw, it conquered!

I wanted to share this excellent media player solution created by my close friend Ajay Kamath which serves the purpose for me for all my media needs outside of OTT. Its a tiny but powerful piece of hardware that he has very greatly customised using Coreelec and Kodi to create an intuitive interface and easy to use out-of-the-box kind of 4K HDR media player that gives a run for the money to all the expensive branded boxes out there.

It plays all file types both video and audio, mp4, mkv, flac, wav etc and also disc images like Blu Ray/ DVD/ CD .iso & .img etc. It can decode and output all the surround formats including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X.

It has a very simple and easy to use interface so adding your media collection to the libraries and generating metadata rich with posters, backdrops, ratings etc is fully automated and as simple as a couple of clicks. Even playback options are excellent with the player automatically detecting and choosing the preferred audio language track in multi audio titles as well as having a pre configured single button subtitle downloader. Music plays fullscreen with beautiful album and artist artwork.

Since its based on Kodi its fully customisable and every imaginable trick or mod under the sun that applies to kodi can be installed on this. But Ajay does not advise this unless you really know what you are doing. In my case I did manage to jack things up by fiddling around with a few unknown settings and applications but thankfully the box has a backup saved to which one can restore it in case something goes wrong.

With lossless blu ray rips, the picture quality and sound quality is AT PAR with discs. Its not just impossible to tell the difference, I can confidently say there is no difference. In fact a very unique feature that Ajay pointed out is that the box does something called "frame rate matching" which adjusts the refresh rate of the display to match that of the content being played. Toggling this on an off when playing movie content indicates that this makes a HUGE difference in playback smoothness especially in scenes that involve motion.

Music playback is also extremely high quality. Whether they are my flacs or wavs or even dolby atmos music tracks, the sound quality has just blown me away. Other than HDMI for audio (and video obviously) there is also an optical output and an analog audio 3.5 jack. So all the connections are convered.

The box acts as an Airplay music receiver and a Spotify connect sink too, so I didnt need a separate apple tv or airport express to stream music from my apple devices to my music system when I had my older Onkyo amp. Plus it has a built in bluetooth transmitter to send music to headphones or bluetooth speakers wirelessly.

Strangely YouTube on this box works without any ads. There are no ads whatsoever and forget using a premium account, I am not even signed into my YouTube account.

The Wifi on the box causes huge 4K blu ray rips to struggle but it works flawlessly when using the gigabit LAN port. I am able to stream 90 gig files off my network server absolutely effortlessly.

The iBox can also play cloud media storage. So I tried it out by configuring a Onedrive account and guess what, I can stream all my movies, music and photos from a cloud service just like its playing locally. The potential of this boggles the mind now with cloud storage getting cheaper, like storing all my content safely on a cloud service for sharing with my family or friends at different geographical locations. Though never tried, it seems I can even add these cloud sources to the library and thus have neatly scanned and organised collections of movies, tv shows or music playing entirely from the cloud! No physical storage anymore at all.

Please note that there is no actual content being provided by the box or AK. You got to bring the content youself! There are various addons which one can install and access various types of streaming video and audio content from the kodi addons store.

The remote supplied with the box is the only thing I can fault. The buttons are not as responsive as I would have liked them to be and typing in search strings with it using the on screen keyboard is a pain but this is hardly a deal breaker since the box supports both HDMI CEC and phone remote app so my TV remote works with it like a charm and in my other room where I have a projector and no CEC, I just use the remote app.

I feel its quite outstanding what the box does for its modest price tag of 15k (I got mine for 12k). AK confirms to have spent a huge amount of time behind getting everything to work as flawlessly as it does and the results do speak for itself. What also helps is that he has a good understanding of media players and servers in general and is very helpful with queries.
menu 1.jpg
menu 2.jpg
movies library view.jpg
music view.jpg
spotify connect.jpg
remote app.jpg
remote app 2.jpg
remote app 3.jpg

I just hope the above is not just a promotion for there is no link to the product, no specs, no pics etc. The cost is on the higher side but I am all for it if its built in India and not a rebranded item.

I just hope the above is not just a promotion for there is no link to the product, no specs, no pics etc. The cost is on the higher side but I am all for it if its built in India and not a rebranded item.

It seems more like a promotion as he has posted the same on team bhp too.

This is not a promotion of any sorts! I have no affiliation to the company nor stand to benefit in any way from recommending this.

The fact that I have posted it here, on hifivision and team bhp doesn't mean that it's a promotion. I have been associated with the above forums for many years and I always have and will recommend products.
About the specs, I will post them as I get them. I am not sure how to look for them in my ibox.
I'll post actual pics and a good photo of some good HDR movie on my new Optoma UHL55 4K HDR projector!

This is not a promotion of any sorts! I have no affiliation to the company nor stand to benefit in any way from recommending this.

The fact that I have posted it here, on hifivision and team bhp doesn't mean that it's a promotion. I have been associated with the above forums for many years and I always have and will recommend products.
About the specs, I will post them as I get them. I am not sure how to look for them in my ibox.
I'll post actual pics and a good photo of some good HDR movie on my new Optoma UHL55 4K HDR projector!
Some images? Some technical details that you know of would be welcome!

Some images? Some technical details that you know of would be welcome!
Surely! I'll go home and take some pics.
And as I promised, specs when I figure how to find them or I'll ask Ajay
The specs as sent by Ajay
Octa core AML S912X 2/32 RAM/ROM
No widevine
OS installed on emmc

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

I'm the Ajay being referenced to in this thread.

First things first - yes, I am engaged by profession in the business of audiovisual products, solutions and services. But no, Frank doesnt have any part to play in it nor gain from it in any way. He's just an old friend and his recent acquisition thrilled him into sending me many thank you messages and subsequently a few threads on a few forums.

If the above account seems ok let me know, in which case I can address all queries. If this not in line with the rules of the forum in any way, feel free to take down the thread.

Cheers!

The interface looks great, but I think the rest of it sounds like stringing some stuff together?

So, what I have merely done is:

1. Identify a good hardware combination
2. Identify a good supplier
3. Ensure the parts are genuine, ie. no fake RAM, real giga LAN, reliable HDMI
4. Ensure the hardware is compatible with the operating system and all faculties work as intended
5. Test thoroughly
6. Identify a good skin and layout
7. Create an interface that only has the things that most folks would need for an application like this and remove things that they wont
8. Add elements and addons that simplify media player usage such as remote buttons customization etc
9. Automate most processes so that there is minimal user intervention in order to use it. As good as power on, and use.
10. Provide a ready to use, appliance style media player, which needs no hacks to use as a standalone kodi box and at the same time with all features open to the user for customization.

So, sure, I have indeed strung a few things together and the above is what those are. Its an open system, there are no secrets. Its just a tried and tested platform on which to run a lightweight Kodi that works out of the box, and there is no claim otherwise.

Is Kodi installed thru Android or are you using something like openelec/libreelec?

If using libreelec -

1. S912X seems a little old & similar boxes with white labeling are selling for 35-40 USD (from trusted sellers) +
2. Refer to this forum - https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9759-choosing-a-s905-s905x-s905d-s905w-s912-box-guide/?pageNo=1

And one will have this solution.

Can you elaborate on why this would be worth 15k?
From a benchmark numbers perspective - This hardware does not give a run for the money to all the expensive branded boxes out there as claimed by OP. S912X is Octacore 1.5GHz + Mali T820 from 2016 built on 28nm. No widewine means Netflix/amazon/hotstar etc capped at 480p
Will there be long term software support? Kodi needs a lot of maintenance over time. Especially for the add-ons? How will updates be delivered?

Edit: Just saw he is using coreelec.
The interface looks great, but I think the rest of it sounds like stringing some stuff together?
Seems to just be Amber skin for Kodi.

Last edited:
While I see that interface is good, someone here who has knowledge of using kodi can install kodi on their existing android tv or firestick and customize as they want.
I have down that myself for my own setup with super limited add-ons.

Also I see mention of Airplay. Remember it is the old Airplay protocol whose Crack is available but not Airplay 2.

As someone mentioned already, no widevine means no 720p for any streaming app. And expect a tablet layout for the box and not real android tv.

Can you elaborate on why this would be worth 15k?

Will there be long term software support? Kodi needs a lot of maintenance over time. Especially for the add-ons? How will updates be delivered?

This box is not directed towards the technology enthusiast DIYer. Sure "any one will have this solution". However I created it for my clients (I'm in the profession of AV) who perhaps can or cannot build this solution but definitely dont have the time or inclination and would much rather have someone else do it for them.

This usually ends up as a part of a multi room distributed media system with a lot of customizations that the client desires including setting up their shares etc and this is what we charge them keeping in mind the support that we have to offer.

The usual route one would take for something like this is by using Plex client or Kodi on an existing device but this has its disadvantages and its really hard to keep up with the quirks of how Kodi behaves on each platform. Another common method is by buying one of the needlessly expensive, off the shelf media players that cost more than this but are difficult to customize. This makes it a predicatable and trusted platform for me and my customizations means that we can get from installation to fully populated libraries ready to go in a matter of minutes.

This allows them to have central storage, add content to a central folder, new titles get automatically updated on all screens, shared on local network and sometimes even remote. Some are a mix of local and cloud storage. It works for them. And there is no ready, pre-packaged solution that does this. At any price point. This does all that brilliantly well.

Once again. This has NOTHING to do with OTT and Netflix etc. Apple TV, Shield are the best for all that

As someone mentioned already, no widevine means no 720p for any streaming app. And expect a tablet layout for the box and not real android tv.

Forget someone, Frank himself mentioned in the original post that this is not for streaming apps! Whats the point of repeatedly bringing it up?

And tablet layout for what? This isnt running android!

Btw just FYI, sure you can run down my box as much as you want. But running Kodi on a fire stick or android box as an app as opposed to having it on coreelec are two vastly different things which you obviously arent aware of. Skinning kodi on one device and since it just looks the same does not equate to the same level of performance. That is the reason why Coreelec, a fully Amlogic dedicated fork of Kodi JEOS exists.

Last edited:
no widevine support in 2021 lol. This thing is a joke.

I suppose most no brand android boxes don't have. Hell even my Amazon Fire 7 doesn't have it. In fact that is a very important consideration for me when buying an android tablet. For iPads no need to bother as they have the certification.

Also getting the certification is actually free from what I know so no idea why manufacturers don't do it.

While Widevine would be a must in a box specifically meant for OTT streaming, this box has a totally different purpose. 4K HDR with uncompressed atmos audio and sound, really. Even Netflix On a widevine enabled apple tv doesn't have the video and sound quality that the true 4k uncompressed blu-ray rips have.

Last edited:
Back