ICICI Bank - Grid Authentication

adaneam

Adept
Guys,

I have been using ICICI online banking for years. Last couple of years I have stopped using it for fund tranfer, online shopping etc because of grid authentication as it's tedious and lengthy. Other banks offer OTP instead of grid authentication.

Does ICICI bank provide any facility to switch to OTP and get rid of grid authentication.

Last tried i think i had to do both, grid and then OTP to transfer some funds. Not sure if it is when amount is over certain number or not.
An additional security step always helps. Also not sure how it is tedious and lengthy, it just involves punching 3 numbers from the grid. Probably will take few seconds more.

AFAIK OTP is provided only while accessing the login page from different ip and while adding new payees.
And its better to invest 3 - 5 seconds more rather than putting your data at risk.

Nope it doesnt. If you think thats tedious check out HSBC's authentication -
They provide you with a RSA device. While logging in they provide you with two options - with device + password and without device + 2 passwords. The device + password option needs to be used if you want to do any kind of transfer - no way out of it. So you forget the device at home, forget making any transfer.
Even the device has its own unlocking password (6digit code). And it has a 10 sec timer. So if you leave it connection is slow the device will switch off. Again switch it on and input the password.
If thats not enough, while transferring you need to input the last 6 digits of the beneficiary account. That generates a unique transaction code to complete the transaction. Only if that is validated your transaction goes through (and you guessed it - 10 sec timer plays a big role).
Its cumbersome but I like it the way it is. Makes me feel safer even if my account is hacked or something.

AFAIK It has nothing to do with the amount.
I agree that it's extra secure. I wonder why other banks don't use at as well. I do a lot of online transactions hence punching the grid numbers every time is tedious for me. Now I rarely use ICICI for online transactions. I use ING which only asks for OTP.

For me, it asks otp, transaction pwd and grid lots of times. The otp comes if you change browser or use mobile to pay.

Hsbc's device is a huge headache . Lots of times I had to call cc just to get the device id re registered in their system which is another hassle. And whenever you call their cc they always waste time and try to sell you some policy. Thankfully I cancelled the card.

If you do lot's of transactions online you should probably remember the grid numbers by now. You have to read and enter in 6 digits. If you find it too hard you can hire me to do your transactions. I will charge you a small fee but there will be no hassles. :banghead:

If you do lot's of transactions online you should probably remember the grid numbers by now. You have to read and enter in 6 digits. If you find it too hard you can hire me to do your transactions. I will charge you a small fee but there will be no hassles. :banghead:
Had I been using ICICI for all the transactions, I might have remembered the grid numbers. But as I mentioned I shifted to ING and now rarely use ICICI.

Well, the grid is used mostly for online bill payments, usually its either home or work machine. I keep the grid saved as password protected pdf (created way back). I keep one copy in Gmail in case its required on the move...

I don`t think ICICI has option to change the system from grid to OTP... its in their architecture..

This is one of the security facility that I miss from ICICI. HDFC adds the beneficiary (which takes 24 hours to authenticate) and then just makes the payment. No online banking password, nothing.

Back