iCloud email on non Apple ecosystem - Make sense?

Din

Disciple
Does iCloud email (email alone and not other things like photos etc.) on a non Apple ecosystem make sense?

Was thinking of iCloud email (either free or the paid one) instead of gmail. I use Mac mini, MBP etc. but on Android phone. iCloud email is strictly meant for iPhone? In the sense, I can't use for example, K9 app for fetching iCloud emails? I understand I may miss the seamless experience, but will it work fine in Android?

Or it make sense only if I start using iPhone?

Why switch? Yes, I know it may sound crazy, but paranoia, to avoid ads, tracking (no, I am not into illegal stuff!), privacy and security reasons etc.

Not sure about iCloud, but there are proper alternatives too Gmail that are mainly email and related services. E.g. proton mail, fastmail etc.

Yes, it works just fine. You can add iCloud to an email client just like GMail or Hotmail.

Though not sure how HideMyEmail feature would work on an 3rd party client

Thank you. Will check these out.
Basically, not just looking for an alternative for Gmail, but checking whether iCloud email will work for me, I mean, with the 'partial Apple ecosystem'.
Will try configuring iCloud email free version in K9.

Thank you. Will check these out.
Basically, not just looking for an alternative for Gmail, but checking whether iCloud email will work for me, I mean, with the 'partial Apple ecosystem'.
Will try configuring iCloud email free version in K9.
iCloud mail is like my 6th or 7th regular email ID but I have synced it with Outlook, Gmail, Spark and another 2-3 mail apps in the past. Works like any other email provider in the normal sense.

Was reading more on it, Reddit, tech news sites, Apple support forums etc. Many suggest not to switch as iCloud email is inferior to Gmail in many aspects. I don't need a lot of features or great web interface, but some users complain the spam filters are not good, sometimes the servers are slow etc. Can understand as Apple is more into hardware and not too much into email. Anyway, will give it a try for sometime and then will decide.

Last edited:
OK, an update on this.
Wanted to experiment. Signed up for the paid (UPI/Netbanking supported) version , I mean, the basic iCloud plus account.
Seems to be ok so far. Apple mail in mac and K9 in Android. Liked the 'Hide my email' feature. Will test the email aliases etc.

Back