CPU/Mobo Ideal temperatures for AMD X4 955 BE

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
I am getting Idle temperatures ranging from 43-48 Degrees Celsius, load temperatures are somewhere between 52-57 Degrees Celsius. Are these temperatures on the higher side. What would the optimum temperature be. My room is NOT air conditioned.

My system configuration is as follows:-

AMD X4 955BE @3.2 Ghz (stock) (undervolted to 1.2 V)

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-USB 3

CPU HSF -Coolermaster Hyper TX-3 with Artic Cooling MX-2 TIM

Gskill Ripjaws 4GB @1600Mhz

MSI 5850 twin frozr2

Corsair VX-550

Gigabyte LUXO X - 142(cabinet)

Cooling fans - 1x120(thermalright),2x120(Coolermaster)

3 HDDS

I have attached screenshots below :

HWMonitor:-

Air flow and actual images of the system in operation:-

What should I do if these temperatures are higher than normal? The thermal paste has been reapplied and the system is spotless with no dust anywhere. Should I change my CPU HSF and cabinet? I do not overclock. I prefer my systems to run cooler and quieter.

ps-the cable management isn't world class but its the best I could do considering the lousy layout of the motherboard.

I dont think the temps are too much on the higher side, with the cooler you have
I have an unlocked chip (same as yours when unlocked) . Once unlocked, the temp sensors are screwed, so i take the CPU metric as an indicator, I get it around 33-34 C idle (non-AC, Chennai), so core temps should be 4-5C lower than CPU

Cooler performance really matters, try cleaning the cabby, reapply TIM and set HS again and see if it improves
MX2 needs curing period, so take that into account

u can try to reapply thermal paste...check cpu fan for dust...ideal temp is bit hight...but load are ok..i guess reapplying tim should do the trick.

I feel its too much !! I have no aftermarket coolers and at stock cooling temps are between 43-45 in the noon and 3 CM stock fans !! Have been checking and monitoring weekly once !!

What would be the curing period for artic cooling mx-2?

the last and most recent application was on Sunday(48-52 hours back). The previous application was when I put my new system together on the 12th of August this year.

I am just worried because I have undervolted the cpu and still the temperatures are high. btw my room temperature is 28-33 degrees now.

You've undervolted your cpu, but I don't think you've enabled cool n'quiet. Your voltage should reduce along with clockspeed when idle.
Looking at your hwmonitor screenshot it looks like your voltage isn't changing, hence the slightly high temps.
Your idle temps should be about 5-7 degrees lower..not more than 10 degrees over ambient. However, if you haven't/don't want to enable cool n'quiet, then your temps are fine.

I have a similar config as sunny(See my sig). I just wanted to know what is the maximum temperature for Phenom 2 X4 955 BE. I have it oced to 4ghz at 1.47 volts it goes to 57-58 degrees at full load. Will post a screenie of temps later today.

Cool 'n' Quiet will make the proccy scale down on clocks at idle

my proccy runs @ 800 Mhz on idle

But, that running at 3200 Mhz doesnt mean its running at full load.

When you stress the proccy via Prime / other cpu stress tools, the temps increase. That actually means full load.

You cable mgmt is very decent. These temps are nothing to worry about.

If you still so concerned, borrow a better cooler and test it

sunny27 said:
Cool and quiet is disabled. So the temps are fine? no need to get a new hsf?

cool & quite does no good. The fans rpm come down to as low as 1800. When kept off it spins at full throttle i.e. 3500-4500 or whatever highest possible.

I have tested it myself i never ever use that feature.

^ Using cool n'quiet reduces my temps by about 5-8 degrees, and brings down my power consumption by about 20 watts...and that's with an X2 3600+.
I'm sure the power savings will be significantly higher with a Phenom II X4 955.
And reducing the cpu fan speed is a good thing...why have extra noise when you don't need it?

Sunny...yes, your temps are fine.

Enable cool n quiet dude , it doesent affect ur performance in any way, it just reduces the multiplier and thus the operating frequency when you dont really need it thus reducing the temps as well.

You have something in common with me , running the CPU cooler and quiter. If you want it to run a lil cooler and lil more quiet , you need to have C n Q turned on. but don't expect miracles. If your using Windows 7 Desktop personalize > Scree saver >Change Power Settings > Power saver(browsing) or balanced (gaming)....you might already know that but just in case ^_^

buddingwhizkid said:
just undervolt if you havent overclocked !

youll reduce the temps by 6-7 C !
Its been undervolted. go through the thread and screenshots! Its been undervolted to 1.2 V now.

Back