Ideal torrent downloader setup for me?

ok i have 3 laptops / 2 windows based and a 1 osx. 2 of which download alot of shows / movies most of the time...
since i dont want both laptops running all day just to finish downloads.. what setup would be ideal for me as im lookin for a standalone nas/torrent downloader ... the latter has more pirority.. as i have a external 1tb already..
i was lookin to buy the asus wl-520gu and flash it with olegs firmware .. but is it possible to sync 2 laptops with one router with different operating systems aswell... or should i just use 1 laptop 2 sync between the router + drive...
please guide me to a simple solution to use my current 1tb as a dump for torrents between all the pc's if possible
lol and a guide would be very helpful to flash n set it up...

I recently set up something similar to what you're thinking about. I've had a Linksys WRT610N router with an integrated USB port for a USB harddrive for a while now. Recently picked up a 1TB WD external drive. Flashed the router with DD-WRT, and I've now got the drive working as my torrent downloader + media dump for the entire network. Took a little bit of fiddling to get it done, but it works pretty decent. Speeds are not really up to the mark of a proper NAS device, but I'm just using this as a stop-gap measure for some time. And for the amount this whole setup cost me, I can't really complain!!

Of course, if you want something less complicated and relatively hassle-free to set up, you could always look at a proper NAS unit like the D-Link DNS-323. Supports two SATA hard drives up to 1TB each, I think and has a gigabit ethernet port. Downside is the price. Around 7-8k last time I checked. Add to that the cost of one or two hard drives, depending on how many you want and you're looking at a bill of 12 to 15k. The more economical setup would be to go for the Asus router you mentioned and take the same route that I took with my WRT610N.

thanx a ton edrill i got the router today (from supra's G0) will call a friend whos gonna help me set this up over the weekened hopefully.. i have a 2.5inch 80gigger which will haveta do for now..split the ports via a belkin hub..will post some pics once done..:eek:hyeah:

INsted spending 10 k + on this setup
Go for a pc (green)
intel proc+ mobo (atom one) - Rs 3300
1 gb ram - Rs 600
500 Gb HDD - Rs 2450
Cabinet - Rs 1500 (iball )

pc will consume only 30 -50w :clap:
hope i helped

Cool. Flash it with DD-WRT and you're golden! Install the Optware package. It's got the Transmission bit torrent client, Samba2 server for file sharing across the network, and Twonkyserver too, for streaming media across the network! Of course, the Twonky Media server is a 30 day free trial. After that you need to buy a license. Checked online and it costs around 1k for a Twonky license.

arre many asus routers support http/ftp/bittorrent download functions by default and no need to flash them... I think n11 is a model that comes immediately in my mind...

and also according to the reviews.. the third party firmwares make the 520gu much more stable.. also it only supports printer sharing unlike the n routers.. so i haveta flash it to make it work as a torrent downloader.. rushabht is gonna help me setup this up over the weekend.. i got the router delivered yesterday.. still havent opened it :)

^^ eager to know how it turned out, considering the weekend is over... me considering a similar setup... have been experimenting with a leoxsys router but not much satisfaction there...

Downloading from the same connection using different routers won't devide the bandwidth/download speeds? I don't get it :huh:

toxicdrift said:
ok i have 3 laptops / 2 windows based and a 1 osx. 2 of which download alot of shows / movies most of the time...

since i dont want both laptops running all day just to finish downloads.. what setup would be ideal for me as im lookin for a standalone nas/torrent downloader ... the latter has more pirority.. as i have a external 1tb already..

i was lookin to buy the asus wl-520gu and flash it with olegs firmware .. but is it possible to sync 2 laptops with one router with different operating systems aswell... or should i just use 1 laptop 2 sync between the router + drive...

please guide me to a simple solution to use my current 1tb as a dump for torrents between all the pc's if possible

1 laptop running with a large HDD is ideal in ur case. Why bother with all the complicated firmware hacking etc? Unless of course you love doing that!

And to get an advanced router to do all what you say, is probably gonna cost u a pretty penny. Therefore the SIMPLEST WAY is hbksabhi's idea of getting a download rig...considering that you will require the laptop for other purposes. Also the download rig is best as it's gonna sit in one place only for the rest of it's life.

toxicdrift said:

lets see nik.. firstly once rushab is done with the flashing the router n apps.. well get this done soon guys.. lol just a matter of co ordinating with each other as weve both been busy. ;)

With netbooks becoming cheaper by the day, I've decided to forego my headless Atom setup. A city where power outages are frequent and in the absence of a UPS, sometimes the computer remains stuck which prompts me to connect it to a display and manually press a key to continue.

The cheapest netbook - the Samsung N128 is a good option to a user who's willing to spend 10k on a headless atom setup. The netbook costs just 3.5k more!

Lemme know if you guys need any help. It took me a good deal of searching and trial and error since I'm pretty much a n00b as far as Linux is concerned!! But now that I've got it up and running, it's awesome!! Moved about 700GB worth of movies and TV shows to the external drive, plus the torrents are running off of it via Transmission. Haven't had to leave my machine on all day/night long ever since I set this thing up!

we do need help edrill as rushabht has been stuck on all those linux commmands after flashing oleg.. any chance ur on gtalk or coming to bombay? :(

Edrill said:
Lemme know if you guys need any help. It took me a good deal of searching and trial and error since I'm pretty much a n00b as far as Linux is concerned!! But now that I've got it up and running, it's awesome!! Moved about 700GB worth of movies and TV shows to the external drive, plus the torrents are running off of it via Transmission. Haven't had to leave my machine on all day/night long ever since I set this thing up!

Edrill, It would be great if you could post a step by step tutorial on how it can be done.

Most of us (including I) are total n00bies when it comes to Linux! I hope you consider this request.

Looking forward to your informative post.

Thank You.

@toxicdrift: I've added rusabht on Gtalk. PM me your GTalk ID so I can add you too. I was in Bombay for the last two months for work-related stuff! Back in Pune since this Monday! Talk about timing!

@amc: I'm a Linux n00b too dude! :D Still, I'll see what I can whip up.

@edrill: great news man! have sent the leoxsys packing and now await the asus 520gu. it would be great if you could add me to your gtalk too 'dheerajjotwani'. besides till the router comes, can you guide us on the ground work. i read somewhere that the hdd needs to be formatted into partitions and all...

Back