Ideal viewing distance for 4K TV

55" for sure. 4k on 43" is just not worth it, although, I know that's what's available in the market currently. 50 might be ok, but I have a 50" TV and watch it from 8.5', the difference between full HD and 4k is very minor. So if you expect to actually watch 4k content, then get 55" at least, higher of possible. If your content will be 1080p, then smaller will be better/ok.

Higher the resolution closer you have to sit and vice versa
55" for sure. 4k on 43" is just not worth it, although, I know that's what's available in the market currently. 50 might be ok, but I have a 50" TV and watch it from 8.5', the difference between full HD and 4k is very minor. So if you expect to actually watch 4k content, then get 55" at least, higher of possible. If your content will be 1080p, then smaller will be better/ok.
My viewing distance will be in range of 6-9' approx., mostly it will be around 8.5'.

Not too keen on 42" myself, it's mainly between 48" and 55". Currently I have 32" 1080p and I feel it pretty small these days. 48" seems like a perfect size but not sure if I find it small in 2-3 years.

My viewing distance will be in range of 6-9' approx., mostly it will be around 8.5'.
Get a 55" if you can afford it. Otherwise, like me, you'll find it small in another 2 years. My TV is 3 years old now and I'm thinking of moving to 65" next year.

Apple TV 4K is being used as a primary streamer box. Gave up on set top box 3 years ago because of poor quality video stream. So it will be 4K exclusively.

optimal-viewing-distance-television-graph-size.png

See the graph in the article i linked.

At 8 feet away and 4k content then 60 inches is the minimum size screen according to that graph. Otherwise 55 and no less.

Try in the shops and see how you like it

How big is the room, viewing distance and is it 4K?
Room is big as it is in the hall, but it's placed along the width, so viewing distance is about 8.5'.

Yes, my TV is 4k, Vu Premium Android (a model no longer listed anywhere). I can tell the difference between full HD and 4k, but the difference is very minor, I can tell only when I'm looking for it, otherwise good quality full HD is good enough.

There is a thx recommendation video in youtube, check it out. I followed it and I find it perfect. They say 5-7 feet distance from screen and 40 degrees FOV will be perfect for 55 inch.

Thx recommends 40 degrees field of view which I think will be good for movies but not otherwise. Even at 30 degrees I need more than 55 inch for a bedroom that is 10’ in width. I don’t think it’s practical but that’s why I’m confused to begin with.

Ah I see. I bought an oled, exclusively for viewing films and series. I've placed a couch for 3, at exactly 6.5 feet distance from the wall and it's been awesome.

The thx video measures 40 degree from centre of screen. That is indeed ideal
but in my experience, as long as your head is within the tvs left or right bezel, it isn't uncomfortable, you can get a good enough experience.

But yes, if your TV is placed in the wider wall of your room, get a cheaper 65 inch one. You will have no regrets. My room is 10 x 6 and I've mounted the TV in the 6 feet wall.

Last edited:
Ah I see. I bought an oled, exclusively for viewing films and series. I've placed a couch for 3, at exactly 6.5 feet distance from the wall and it's been awesome.

The thx video measures 40 degree from centre of screen. That is indeed ideal
but in my experience, as long as your head is within the tvs left or right bezel, it isn't uncomfortable, you can get a good enough experience.

But yes, if your TV is placed in the wider wall of your room, get a cheaper 65 inch one. You will have no regrets. My room is 10 x 6 and I've mounted the TV in the 6 feet wall.
Hmm, 55 inch then there is.

Mind telling which oled did you bought?

Hmm, 55 inch then there is.

Mind telling which oled did you bought?
I got the Sony a80k bro. It's been an absolute delight considering I upgraded from a 32 inch led. I initially thought about getting the 48 inch C2 but upgraded to 55 after watching the thx recommendation video.

I got the Sony a80k bro. It's been an absolute delight considering I upgraded from a 32 inch led. I initially thought about getting the 48 inch C2 but upgraded to 55 after watching the thx recommendation video.
Exactly in similar position as you were, congrats on that a80k though. Certainly a terrific purchase for sure.

I was in two minds between 48” vs 55” C2. Pretty sure now that it’s 55 C2 or 55” G2 even.

Exactly in similar position as you were, congrats on that a80k though. Certainly a terrific purchase for sure.

I was in two minds between 48” vs 55” C2. Pretty sure now that it’s 55 C2 or 55” G2 even.
Awesome mate!! Once you get your TV, Do check out the Rings of power series in prime, the visuals are absolutely gorgeous. It's like the series was made to be enjoyed on high contrast oled screens!

Btw, 55 C2 was my first choice but I ended up opting for sony cause their tie up with Bajaj finance allowed for 23 month no cost emi whereas LG only gave 9 months no cost. Ill definitely miss the magic remote, though.

Just a heads up for anyone looking to get the 48 C2, The 48 C2 neither has the slimmer profile nor the newer stand that comes with the 55 and above models. It doesn't get as bright as the 55 inch C2 either cause the screen width can't dissipate heat. So yeah the 48 C2 is almost a repackaged C1.

Back