IELTS or TOEFL ?

rocker123

Adept
Hi,

I have recently cleared SP Jain GMBA entrance and would be joining the college in Dec 2012.

I am a bit confused whether to opt for IELTS or TOEFL ?

I need to give this exam as it is required for the Australian Visa.

Min criteria which i require for Aussie Visa is :

IELTS: 6.0 and above
TOEFL: 60 and above

Please suggest:
1) Which one is easier to crack ?
2) Cheaper Test Fee ?
3) In terms of Australia, which one should be better ?

Planning to book a slot today itself and planning to give the exam by first week of September.

Your help would be appreciated..

IELTS is the pretty easy , got 8 with no preparation. Its like attending an 10th standard english exam.
Ok..
I have decided upon IELTS considering the fact that IELTS is more recognized in Australia.
Which one is better? The one by British Council or the IDP one ??
I've heard that the people giving via IDP are scoring well as compared to ones who are applying through British Council. Is it true ?

Both TOEFL & IELTS are LMAO exams :p spend just 4 days each day for reading, writing, listening & speaking :p I assure you 7.0+ bands or 110+ in TOEFL :eek:hyeah:

My friend who could barely speak a work of english got 6bands with no preparation. Thats how easy it is.

Just got serious giving IELTS this season. Wanted to know whether the sample papers for each section provided on the website are sufficient for getting an insight to the exact pattern or can we expect something else as well ? English is not much of a problem for me as i did my entire schooling and graduation in the same language but still, if the test is tough, do u recommend taking up any coaching classes for the preparation ?

Browsed the test dates and got an availability for 11/10/2012. Are 10-15 days enough for preparation, starting from scratch ? And in what time frame can i expect the results to be out ? Need to apply for the September 2013 intake.

I heard IELTS is not being considered by many universities in USA. Where are you willing to study, USA or any other country?

@Rahul++, Instead, many of the US unis are now considering IELTS, the scenario's changed. I'm more keen on applying to the Canadian uni's. For US, i'm considering U of Louisiana, Houston & Texas, but not sure if i'll apply.

Are you hiring a consultant or doing the application process on your own ? I wish to pursue on my own as the consultant is quoting a pretty steep fee of Rs.5K/uni, and i don't feel its worth it.Its like paying the application fee twice ($100 uni + $100 consultant). The uni website mentions the process but i'm not so sure about the format of SoP, LoR and exactly whom to contact n submit docs after filing online application, that's why i've thought of a consultant. Yet to register though.

The package that i've been offered is Rs.7.5K for 2 uni's which includes the processing & courier charges. Subsequent 5K/uni. Application fee seperate.
But if someone can shed some light on the app process in a simple manner, i might pursue things on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^IELTS too is valid for 2 years only. @bbthumbhealer 10-12 days should be fine, i studied for 4 days and scored an 8. the online material, the cambridge IELTS book and you tube videos

did the trick for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rahul++, Instead, many of the US unis are now considering IELTS, the scenario's changed. I'm more keen on applying to the Canadian uni's. For US, i'm considering U of Louisiana, Houston & Texas, but not sure if i'll apply.

Are you hiring a consultant or doing the application process on your own ? I wish to pursue on my own as the consultant is quoting a pretty steep fee of Rs.5K/uni, and i don't feel its worth it.Its like paying the application fee twice ($100 uni + $100 consultant). The uni website mentions the process but i'm not so sure about the format of SoP, LoR and exactly whom to contact n submit docs after filing online application, that's why i've thought of a consultant. Yet to register though.

The package that i've been offered is Rs.7.5K for 2 uni's which includes the processing & courier charges. Subsequent 5K/uni. Application fee seperate.
But if someone can shed some light on the app process in a simple manner, i might pursue things on my own.

Well, I haven't thought of anything yet. I am about to postpone my plans of pursuing MS (some personal issues). I will be looking for a job / internship in the mean time. I am worried about the gap I will be taking. Visa Interviewer might have problem with that :-(

Back