IFB Microwave fault

ibose

Skilled
So our 23 L microwave went kaput today morning. The IFB technician visited just now and diagnosed that the circuit board is gone. Reason given was voltage fluctuations and they recommended to use a voltage regulator. They have two options -
1. Get a replacement board for 4k in total. It only comes with 3 months warranty.
2. Buy a new one from IFB in exchange of the dead one, but they could not say how much discount will be given. I presume they will claim that it is scrap so not much of exchange value.
Given that it is not even 2 years old, the reasoning and dismissive attitude of those technicians gave me a pause. I have never heard of microwaves being used with voltage regulators and have not observed any voltage fluctuations. All of our other appliances are working fine. I am not sure if others have had any similar experience in Blr.
Apart from the two options above, I also see that Urban Company undertake repairs for Microwave and the approx cost of replacing a circuit board is mentioned as 2.5k. However I am unsure if these are generic or specific components and their availability.
I would really appreciate some suggestions.

You get a nice Samsung 23L for 5750 (solo, not convection) so, unless you have convection needs, paying 4k for repairs is way too much

You get a nice Samsung 23L for 5750 (solo, not convection) so, unless you have convection needs, paying 4k for repairs is way too much
I am aware but need convection functionality. My queries were whether you really need a voltage regulator and, if Urban Company, is good for appliance repairs for cases like these.

Last edited:
I had a Samsung OTG and replaced the board for the same reason. The cost was around 1.6K with service from local technican couple of years back with 2 months warranty. It is still working good. The Samsung authorised service quoted 3.2K with one month warranty. Different board might cost different price but definitely the local service cost will be low compared to authorised service. Surprised to hear about the stablizer for Oven but it might be a one off case that the board failed. I don't think you need a stablizer. If you replace the board there should not be any problem but decide if you want to go through an authorized service or local service.

Just wanted to share the update on this. It has been a week since I got the oven repaired through Urban Company and so far it is working fine. The technician came and took the circuit board for repair. He returned next morning after it was repaired at their workshop and fixed it. Total damage was 1800 and the repair comes with 3 months of warranty.

Just wanted to share the update on this. It has been a week since I got the oven repaired through Urban Company and so far it is working fine. The technician came and took the circuit board for repair. He returned next morning after it was repaired at their workshop and fixed it. Total damage was 1800 and the repair comes with 3 months of warranty.
Is it still working fine?

Back