Graphic Cards IGPU for Desktop | DGPU for Gaming

Yes. This is exactly what I meant.

Will the igpu be used for every application for which the dgpu is not explicitly selected. What GPU gets used for system apps like explorer.exe taskbar etc.
i think those are negligible, only applications take toll on the GPU. rest all basic stuff such as explore n all run on idling power only.

I monitored the power consumption in my APC Backup pro UPS, which shows an average of 140W during normal usage. Deducting 50W for monitor and 10W for the rest of the accessories, chargers etc. My Desktop itself is consuming only around 80W.
TL;DR version:
  1. Fix 1 : Switch your GPU and CPU into eco mode when not in gaming, switch out when gaming. 50% energy saved with these simple tweaks, without changing your hardware.
  2. Fix 2 : Get a proper ultrabook (preferably the Macbook Air M1). Bloody thing takes less than 1W when idle, stays under 20W under non-productivity usage and goes to around 50W on heavy productivity workload. Advantage with this is that you also get a portable computer.

What exactly is your end goal here? 80W power usage for desktop is pretty good. If you still want to reduce, turn on Eco Mode for 5800X and switch your GPU to silent mode or eco mode. Measure power usage again.

I have 5800X and 3070 Ti. I ran two 4K YT videos in parallel and GPU power remained under 40W. It did go above 80W for GPU when I started using snapped three browser windows like this:

1683954764325.png

With two windows, GPU was consuming 50W.
1683954882886.png

Now, I had set my GPU in custom mode by drastically reducing memory clock and GPU clock. See the power usage while playing single 4K video and using another browser window. Set CPU to Eco Mode and you have a bloody efficient system. Do note that you have to restart every time you switch between CPU eco mode and normal mode. No need to restart to tweak GPU power limits:

1683955760048.png

Last edited:
Background:

I currently own a 5800X + 3080 which is really power-hungry(240W+) even for simple tasks like writing documents etc, Because it has to run on the DGPU due to the missing IGPU in the processor. I feel guilty every time I see it sipping so much power for doing simple tasks which can be easily performed by a 15W laptop. Now I'm planning to downgrade to a 5700G, which not only has an IGPU but also consumes half the power of a 5800X.

Question:

Has anyone has experience with such a setup where in normal desktop use (Browsing, writing documents, Running Lightweight programs....etc), The system automatically uses the IGPU and when I launch a game, It automatically switches to a DGPU?.

I know this GPU switching feature exist as my HP Pavilion laptop from 2012 Had it, but it was implemented by the Manufacturer. Does Win 11 has this feature built in?, If so how easy and seamless is it to use. Please share your experiences.
Your 3080 adds about 15-20W during idle usage at the wall.
The exact number would depend on the efficiency of your PSU.

In any case, this is a desktop which I presume goes into standby when not in use so There isn’t much you would really gain by any tweaks.
Optimizing efficiency makes a lot of sense for always on machines (eg a home server)
As for an intermittent usage desktop, not really..

Fix 2 : Get a proper ultrabook (preferably the Macbook Air M1). Bloody thing takes less than 1W when idle, stays under 20W under non-productivity usage and goes to around 50W on heavy productivity workload. Advantage with this is that you also get a portable computer.

It’s a lot lower ;)
3-5 W including display in productivity apps and 18-20W under rare heavy loads.
Average draw is probably going to be 5-6W for most people

Last edited:
TL;DR version:
  1. Fix 1 : Switch your GPU and CPU into eco mode when not in gaming, switch out when gaming. 50% energy saved with these simple tweaks, without changing your hardware.
  2. Fix 2 : Get a proper ultrabook (preferably the Macbook Air M1). Bloody thing takes less than 1W when idle, stays under 20W under non-productivity usage and goes to around 50W on heavy productivity workload. Advantage with this is that you also get a portable computer.

What exactly is your end goal here? 80W power usage for desktop is pretty good. If you still want to reduce, turn on Eco Mode for 5800X and switch your GPU to silent mode or eco mode. Measure power usage again.

I have 5800X and 3070 Ti. I ran two 4K YT videos in parallel and GPU power remained under 40W. It did go above 80W for GPU when I started using snapped three browser windows like this:

View attachment 168046

With two windows, GPU was consuming 50W.
View attachment 168051

Now, I had set my GPU in custom mode by drastically reducing memory clock and GPU clock. See the power usage while playing single 4K video and using another browser window. Set CPU to Eco Mode and you have a bloody efficient system. Do note that you have to restart every time you switch between CPU eco mode and normal mode. No need to restart to tweak GPU power limits:

View attachment 168052
Hey. Thanks a lot for this detailed analysis!.
I wasn't aware of the eco mode. Just googled and found that it's possible in the Ryzen master software, this will indeed be a game changer for me as not only will I limit the power draw, but my 5800x will run a lot cooler in my mini itx case due to the reduced thermal limit. I haven't had much luck undervolting my GPU, will give this another try

Also, I picked up a TAB S7 + today after someone reminded about using the dex mode in this thread. Will also try it out after I pickup a usb-c to HDMI cable. I beleive this will be the most effecient solution for this use case.

Back