IIPM ! plz help anyone :(

apitroda

Disciple
Well...
its a very disheartening incident that has happened with my 2 friends.

they had done their BMS (Bachelor in management studies) degree from Mumbai university. after BMS, they decided to persue the next big indian dream "MBA".

for that they took a year off and prepared for cat/xat/cet/n-mat and wat not, but due to strong competition at all points decided to go for private institutes like ITM, IIPM etc.

now the thing is that,

they got selected @ IIPM last week. too nervous to take any more chances with the entrance examinations race, they 'in a hassle' decided to join IIPM and paid the initial amount of 40000 rupees (2 ppl paid makes it 80k) each which IIPM says its non refundable.

now the thing is that i got to know about all these things and suggested them to get as far as they can from this ponytailed institute.

(they are not too rich, they were actually seekin loan to get into that institute)

but again let us now laugh on someones mistake !
main question

now as IIPM says that the 40000 rupees money given to them is non refundable, isnt there any way i can help my friends get it back.

they are actually from a middle class family.

all of you who here are apt to give technical solutions to all who seek help from you....

Kindly for this just one time... HELP my friends.

how should we approach IIPM asking them to give us a refund for something they said to be non-refundable...

plz HELP.

ur some good initiative can save a persons career as well his/her fathers hard earned money.

kindly HELP

They might get it back if they follow the legal route, court case n all. Since they haven't started attending classes etc. so 'logically' speaking, IIPM cannot charge them any fees.
Read about such a case somewhere where a student got his fees back because the facilities provided by the college were not according to what they had specified in their brochure.
And one more thing which I don't get is, why people join IIPM knowing what kind of an institute it is! And how can it function so openly w/o the AICTE approval, ISB, Hyd is an exception, but IIPMs!

IIPM might not be affiliated or anything, but, that chaudhary guy has industry reputation and MBAs do get placed.

My friends are studying in IIPM gurgaon, (one has passed out, two are in 1st year). The thing that everyone says, is you will definitely get groomed and well made once you come out of IIPM. You are made to do 5-6 presentations per week in front of 300 people in the auditorium.

One friend, who knew Zero english (was pretty 'raw') is now working with a media firm. Must say he turned out real well.

As far as refund thing goes, sorry dude. Its just impossible, even via legal route. If they have already told you nonrefundable... then? No institute refunds this fee.

I guess he could try showing the paperwork to some lawyer friend or something and see if there are any loopholes.

Try and contact others in a similar situation so that you can raise the money and have a better case if you do decide to pursue it legally. Post around in the "infamous" blogs and see how they respond.

I truly sympathise with your friends' misfortune but I guess the IIPM guys aren't going to give up the money too easily considering that this is probably one of their sources of income.
Also, if you are successful in getting the money back then pls reply about how you went about it since there are bound to be more people facing the same predicament.

On a related note I find the trend of getting MBA degrees to be pretty annoying. I have not taken one myself but have a couple of management related subjects and from what I can tell it teaches you to be aggressive and get things done by any means. This approach might work for some but nowadays lacking an MBA is seemingly becoming a detriment to your career.

i guess best thing would be to goto that college..and talk to the senior students/entrepreneur their..how was the past placement(this year every where placement is down, but they should be able to place 95% people with decent packeage), how is the enviornment, study, how good it is for avg/above avg/below avg students..and also after 2 year when this years batch pass out opportunities should be more then what it is right now.. but ultimately it depends upon the persons will, if he thinks that he can get into a better institute next time then only it wud be ok..

an institute is a non profit sector and thus they can not haggle on the quoted statements.

the money was paid wid awareness that it wont be refunded, even afetr u go for legal route u wont get a refund. if u try to haggle on moral n credit basis..like u havent attended any class n all...n even if u win that argument..the money u receive will be after deducing the processing fees n anything that has been spent to register ur admission.

let the legislative fees alone.

in the end the efforts n time spent wont justify the fund u receive..its better if they attend the lecture n continue the course.

apitroda said:
now the thing is that i got to know about all these things and suggested them to get as far as they can from this ponytailed institute.

Whats wrong with IIPM? Their placements are descent and so is their reputation.

Should have done more research- which I am pretty sure any Tom, Dick and Harry does- let alone a BMS graduate. No degree/diploma is valid in India unless it has AICTE/ UGC or equivalent body's approval. Their reputation is more of a "wolf in sheep's clothing." Some people confuse reputation with big advertisements mainly they cant differentiate between them :p. As for the fee goes- non refundable means non refundable. If it can be refunded, they would have said refundable :p. What's the point in doing MBA when doesnt know the art of research? I do sound harsh since that's the point and your friends have taken a year to prepare for entrance exams. I haven't heard or seen any guy working his arse off for an entrance exam flushing his money, time and effort down the drain like this.

The Sorcerer said:
Should have done more research- which I am pretty sure any Tom, Dick and Harry does- let alone a BMS graduate. No degree/diploma is valid in India unless it has AICTE/ UGC or equivalent body's approval. Their reputation is more of a "wolf in sheep's clothing." Some people confuse reputation with big advertisements mainly they cant differentiate between them :p. As for the fee goes- non refundable means non refundable. If it can be refunded, they would have said refundable :p. What's the point in doing MBA when doesnt know the art of research? I do sound harsh since that's the point and your friends have taken a year to prepare for entrance exams. I haven't heard or seen any guy working his arse off for an entrance exam flushing his money, time and effort down the drain like this.

why criticise ???

they already know they have done a mistake and now seeking help from us !

why not actually try to help them out.

this is only one case where ppl are coming forward, there are many who are forced to forget their money by this money sucking institutions.

1. So long as it was specified non-refundable and the guy paid for it, the Institute is under no obligation to return anything. Even legally they will be in the clear I guess.

2. @alsiladka: Lets say IIPM is not famous in online circles :)

Even I was of the opinion that IIPM was bad.......but its not as bad, rather its pretty decent. I know of 3 guys who have got placed well (one is in HP and other 2 in ICICI) and IIPM generally gets good placements.

The thing with IIPM is that they take a lot of paid seats so it appears that the quality of the students will not be good if they have paid their way through. But with MBA its not always that academics matters. And students who havent scored well in competitive exams or who have in fact not even appeared for them may also turn out well.

Nikhil said:
I think the thread title needs to be changed. This is not a scam.

I Agree, there's no scam involved here.

Those guy's paid the fee knowing well enough that its not refundable. If they want it back, then the best approach would be to talk to the management of the Institute, explain their position and literally beg them to refund the money.

Finding loopholes in the law to get back money that is rightfully the institutes now is what I would call a real scam here. But unfortunately for them, finding legal loopholes won't be easy considering that a Institute which does not have official recognition would be extra careful in framing their terms and conditions so as not to run into legal issues.

Institutes have their reasons for framing the non-refundable fee condition. If they do not have this, students will began using them. They would think "lets join this institute for now, if I get something better, I can just back out and get my money back". They do not care whether its too late for the institute to recruit another candidate in their place, or the costs involved. That clause just ensures that the candidates are serious about their admission.

Lord Nemesis said:
Finding loopholes in the law to get back money that is rightfully the institutes now is what I would call a real scam here. But unfortunately for them, finding legal loopholes won't be easy considering that a Institute which does not have official recognition would be extra careful in framing their terms and conditions so as not to run into legal issues.

Maybe and maybe not. I'd still say its a good idea to at least seek legal opinion with whatever documents they have. If all terms and conditions were infallible and binding then 90% of the lawyers in the country would be out of jobs.

Lord Nemesis said:

Those guy's paid the fee knowing well enough that its not refundable. If they want it back, then the best approach would be to talk to the management of the Institute, explain their position and literally beg them to refund the money.

Institutes have their reasons for framing the non-refundable fee condition. If they do not have this, students will began using them. They would think "lets join this institute for now, if I get something better, I can just back out and get my money back". They do not care whether its too late for the institute to recruit another candidate in their place, or the costs involved. That clause just ensures that the candidates are serious about their admission.

actually students are the ones who are most of the times are just taken for granted by this so called educational institutes.

what is the need for asking the retention money within 7 days after confirming the selection of the student ??? .... when the course is to commence on 26th may 2009 (2 n half months prior to the commencement of course)

and again force students to get the 1st installment of 1,37,500/- rupees within the span of 25days ! ie by 5th march 2009.

for the rich and glorious its an easy thing to do, but for a middle class person its not that easy !

when the class is suppose to commence from may 27th...........

y make the initial retention money as NON-Refundable (seat bookin money).

when other institutes are striving hard to get affiliated with AICTE and UGC, y IIPM is allowed to run without any hassles with thousands of students getting duped.

many say... IIPM is for rich segment. but what about those as stated in the 1st post who fall prey to such marketing gimmicks.

falling prey to a BROADBAND providing ISP`s marketing tactic is as same as falling prey to a Educational money eating tactics.

consumer should be not be duped.

the TS mentions that those 2 students were actually misled by the desk-top lady via prospectus and CD of college provided to them.

more than half the provisions stated in the same prospectus and shown in the DISC is not available @ IIPM.

y give it to the students who are coming to join you in mumbai when more than 75% things shown on the disk are not available ??

ah.. isn't the title misleading? how can it be a scam.. are they taking the money by wrong means?? i've applied for courses in UK and they've asked me to deposit 3000 pounds which is non-refundable.. so is that a scam too?? :S

Lord Nemesis said:

Fine it's fair to ask for a non refundable admission fee but then keep the last date open long enough for the students to decide which is the best institute they can get into.This way you are but forcing students to join your institute and taking advantage of a student's fear of not getting into another perhaps better college.

Look at VIT for example they do the same thing. Their last date for fee submission is well before the BITS and a few other results are declared.

So, very clearly they are trying to be oversmart and sadly there's nothing much a student can do but either have faith in himself and take a chance or believe that he does not have what it takes to get into a better institute just because its date are released later.

As for the 2 guys who have been "duped" you either take a chance and go to the college hoping that it wouldn't matter later on or just forget the incident as a learning curve.

Back