Laptops Importing a Laptop!

hey amity...
well i think the 11k warranty might be something else.. maybe i should talk to the dell guy again to confirm about the kind of warranty being offered. At least he had told me tht its some 3 year limited warranty... will have to check exactly what is covered under this.. the 11k could be some other type of warranty also...will check with the dell guy about this and let u know..

ok... since u say things go kaput quite easily then i really must go with the extended warranty then...

one more thing.. about the dell vostro laptops? do they have better components as compared to inspiron ones? or is the difference only between the magnesium alloy chassis and sturdier body?

i doubt australia to be cheaper.. tat place is expensiv like hell for anythin and everythin.. :( .. so id say check out dell australia prices online.. but remmember u can bargain over here (on online prices shown) but in australia ud hav to pay every dollar mentioned on the site.. so do check out dell aus once aswell.

The vostro does have a couple of good things like build quality.. spill proof keyboard.. and a better shock absorbing body..

even im plannin to buy a notebook an after comparing the prices of vostro an inspiron i think il opt for the inspiron though they r like 3k cheaper for the same config (and wit inspiron u get a remote an creative ep630 free :hurray: ).. there is one thing i dont understand in the us vostros are cheaper i wonder y they r expensiv tan inspirons here..

yea man .. vostro has got great things like shock absorbing body and spill proof keyboard.. thats why i was thinking of going for the Vostro 1400 N series which comes without windows vista.. so that saves about 3k and makes the price exactly equal to the inspiron with same specs..
still wondering whether i shud go for vostro or inspiron...only diff wud be remote, and earphones.. i dont need the latter anyway cos i have sony earphones frm my w610i cell.. only the remote wud matter then...hmm..

ive checked the australia dell site and the prices there are almost the same as they are over here.. maybe just a difference betn 1k to 2k.. but if i get a good deal over here in india then ill go for it over here itself..

hey vee10turbo.. did u manage to figure out ta warranty extension deal @ 4k thing? cause if its available for 4k .. then i think il speed up my decision an jump into buyin a vostro soon rather tan waitin for a inspiron deal..

Hi amity,
i spoke to the dell guy today.. he said tht the 3 years limited warranty covers all the hardware
parts. Whereas 3 years complete cover includes accidental damage as well..But tht one is pretty costly.
This is the config tht i quoted for:

Dell Vostro 1400 N Series:
Intel Core2Duo T5270
DOS Factory installed (no Windows)
1Gb DDR2 RAM
14" screen (non-reflecting)
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS 128MB GDDR3 memory
160GB SATA 7200rpm (High performance) hdd
DVD writer
Integrated bluetooth, modem
Integrated 2Mp camera + mic

Rs.44,273
+3 year limited warranty (Rs.5620-Rs.1000discount = Rs.4620)

Total: Rs.48,893
Final price with additional discount: Rs. 47,800/-

So he's giving me a total discount of Rs.2093/- over the company price.
He said he's giving me dis deal till this friday as their week ends on friday, but i think
i could ask for the same deal next weekend. I also asked him for a laptop bag but he said he couldnt
give me that. Let me know what u think about it.

One more thing. Any idea if any kindof Dell E-value code or Coupon can lower this price? Is the price
mentioned including the discount from the E-value code? I tried putting the e-value code given in the
"Notebook Promotions Page" for Vostro, but it said tht code is not valid.. is it only for that specific
config ?

vee10turbo said:
Hi amity,
Rs.44,273
+3 year limited warranty (Rs.5620-Rs.1000discount = Rs.4620)
Total: Rs.48,893
Final price with additional discount: Rs. 47,800/-

So he's giving me a total discount of Rs.2093/- over the company price.
He said he's giving me dis deal till this friday as their week ends on friday, but i think
i could ask for the same deal next weekend. I also asked him for a laptop bag but he said he couldnt
give me that. Let me know what u think about it.

One more thing. Any idea if any kindof Dell E-value code or Coupon can lower this price?

Yeah i thought so about the warranty.. anyways 3 yrs normal coverage is good enough.. and dont be fooled by friday deadline.. they just say that because the hav to meet weekly targets.. :bleh:
Firstly dude ta config uv got, i configured the same thing for Rs.43,483/- + 2123 (for 7200 rpm hdd.. this is one thing id suggest u let go and instead if u have money to spare go in for 2gb ram.. i got my friend in uk to buy the same notebook vostro 1400.. but he said with 1 gb it was way to slow on vista, so he returned his notebook (for full money back) an configured and ordered another one cause dell said it wont just upgrade the ram wit additional cost.. weird policies these companies have..hehe ) online without discount.. (and this was with windows vista) adding 4k for warranty extension it should not be more than 47-48k (after discounts) .. so im positive u could get a better deal as ur not opting for windows.. is there some reason ur not opting for windows?
An evalue code is just a model no.. cause dell has a lot of specifications available for the same notebook model (like vostro 1400).. they hav to further give it another model no which is the evalue code. Its not a discount coupon or anything like that. And i have not yet come to know of any coupon code as such in india. So dont expect further discounts from wat u haggle with the reps via coupons or anything.

go for the complete cover warranty, especially if you carry the notebook aroud quite a bit, that way accidental damages are also covered - drops spills etc.

well im not goin for vista just to save money.. tht wud cost me about 3k more.. ill be happy running it on xp for the moment.. tht money i thot id use for the higher 7200rpm hdd, as ram upgrade cud be done later on, but hdd upgrade wont be possible.. but if u say they dont upgrade the ram, then ill hv to think abt it.. wht stupid policy is this anyways??

hey if u want then go in for 1X1gb ram stick right now..and then later upgrade .. but be careful cause dell site says 2X512mb ram.. if u get 2 sticks ul have to get rid off them in order 2 upgrade later on ur own.

well id say dont save money on vista.. if u really want to save money go wit inspiron.. im plannin to buy one soon.. in a week or 2.. il just wait for 1 more price drop.. an the day tat happens il buy it.. ( have though bout a budget of 40k for system wit 3yr warranty so waiting for that to happen).

@amityrock: well thx for tht ram tip...i was really thinking about this..but didnt kno how many ram slots
a laptop has.. i think ill go for 1x1gb if i want to stick to buying a high performance hard drive
right now.. i think tht would really help in improving gaming performane, and later i would definately have
to upgrade d ram to 2GB for making it a good (budget) gaming machine.

and about the vista.. it would really make it even costlier.. cos even my budget was around 45k, but i was willing to stretch it to 47k for the extra high performance bits and stuff to keep my lappy uptodate for at least 3-4years..and i can get the same with vista in an inspiron but i didnt like inspiron
very much..i loved the all black no-nonsense (ibm like)look of the vostro plus the sturdier build of it.. should i really go for the insipiron then...hmm...

amity, what config are u looking for in 40k? when do u expect a price drop? have u been observing the prices
for quite some time? do u think d prices cud fall?

@party monger: how do u say it can be avlble for less than 42k?? by bargaining? pls let me know..

yeah.. well im always following dell laptop prices (in us and india for bout a year, year and a half) cause i advice a lotta relativs/friends etc plus its fun.. India usually sees a price fall befor dell us.. and normally once every month/ month and a half dell reduced the prices (or so it has been doin uptil now) but the deal is now they hav come pretty close to dell us prices so i wonder whether theyl go down further or now..

im looking for a base config ( no gfx card, 1 gb (will upgrade to 2gb myself,and importantly 3 years warranty, webcam an the works ).. its going to be used for office work, emails and a lil bit of photoshop,picasa.. so not really looking for to much specs.. just want good vfm and importantly warranty (cause its going to be used by an uncle an he doesnt like any fuss.. hehe).. so would go for the inspiron.. plus i like the chocolate brown colour of the nokia 9500 and hence hope to get the same/ similar thing in inspiron..

expect a price drop in 2-3 weeks now since its been about 2 weeks since the last one..

well maybe then ill wait for some time for the next price cut.. i had also witnessed the last price cut when i had started my
search for a laptop.. it was a drop by about Rs.1500 or so.. and im not in a big hurry.. i just want to buy it before
January end.. just want to make sure i get a good deal, with all the bits and stuff to keep it upto date for at least 3-4years..

about the upgrade to 2GB ram later on, i dont think Dell is offering 1GB single ram .. the only choice offered in 1GB contains
2x512MB ram cards.. so i think those wud go waste afterwards anyways...

i tried configuring Inspiron 1420 with the same specs but with 2GB ram and without high performance 7200rpm hdd.. and tht
comes to Rs.45,435.. and with the 3 year warranty it'll touch to around 50k! thts costly! and vostro with same specs is at
Rs.44,924.. i think ill drop the high performance hdd.. but i dont kno about the ram.. if they offer a single 1GB ram right
now, then ill go for tht.. otherwise ill have to spend the extra 2.8k and go for the 2GB ram..

hey one more thing! Vostro 1500 N with same specs (2GB ram, without high performance hdd, and without windows vista) is for Rs.44,112!
i was thinking about goin for 14" as it is small and can be used anywhere at ease.. but now 15.4" is also not bad, for a thousand bucks less and with nylon carry bag..
i think i could get original copy of windows vista from a friend....

hey but both Inspiron 1500 N and Vostro 1520 are having Nvidia 8400GS with GDDR2 memory instead of GDDR3 , as in case of 1400 N & 1420! wots tht all about?

no idea bout ta graphics cards.. dont really game.. :)

and as for the ram.. well ul have to ask the dell rep..tell him u want 1X1gb and not 2X512mb.. this is something he wil agree to easily.. anyways for the company its cheaper to put 1 stick than 2..!

and upgrade the ram whenever u get the laptop from the market.. 1gb laptop ram is for about 1.4k these days.

Hurrayyyy!!:D
I finally got my Dell Inspiron 1520 from Malaysia, and needless to say it rocks!
Here's what the specs are...
T7300 Processor 2.0 Ghz with 4MB Cache
2GB DDR2 RAM @ 667 Mhz Running in Dual Channel Mode
160 GB HDD
15.4" Display with True-Life
GeForce 8600m GT 256MB DDR2 Gfx Card
etc etc
Got it for around 50k:hap2:
I'm planning to post a review soon.Stay Tuned!
Thanks for all the support guys!
Cheers!

Back