Importing a Yamaha V-MAX

andy_anu

Disciple
Hi people !
Does anybody know the procedure to import bikes ??
How should one go bout the shipping n all ?
Is gift tax still applicable ? (the bike is being gifted)
How much do I have to pay for da customs n all ? (Bikes value in indian rupess is 4,70,000)

Thanks!
Any help shall be greatly appriciated !
:hap2:

ooooooh you lucky dog!!!!

A Vmax!!! but do you have enough skill to ride it?? Coz that is one of the most bad-ass bikes in the world.

It HATES cornering. Are you sure you can handle it???

And abt actually getting a bike into India, you need to pay the Duty which almost doubles the cost of the bike. I think the rate is abt 150% or so. Earlier it was 180%.

And you better ask a reputed import/export dealer to do it. Some people are in the import/export business and they could help you out.....

!!!!!!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!!!!!
Information is as per limited knowledge of writer and may not be wholly true!!
Would benefit from more opinions!!
Writer claims no responsibility for posted material!!:cool2:

There are Motorcycles.. And There is the V-Max!! :eek:hyeah: :hap2:

Hi!!
You have posted very little info about your bike!!
Wot year? From Where?
Its gonna be quite long so here i go...

(1)First of all you cannot gift a vehicle to anyone in India while you are out!!
You can get it in by showing your TR- transfer of residence. and passport and related documents (very irritating as they hassle to check if genuine applicant or to make a quick buck.)Also someone witn an export licence earning foreign exchange and satisfying certain regulations can import vehicle for personal use.
(2)Your vehicle being brought in has to be at least 4yrs old; i.e. it should be pre-2001 as of now (its 2005), even for eligible applicants.
(3)Inspite of you being eligible, if the vehicle does not satisfy point(2), you have to pay 100% tax. (not sure of the figure but at least that much).
(4)If its point(3), where is it being shipped from?
If its from Japan, then 100%tax. If USA then "100% tax + 100% penalty" coz vehicle is not shipped from country of origin.

Earlier, people used agents to show illegal TR. But recently, several such vehicles were seized by the authorities and will be released only after payment of relevant taxes and penalties!!!!
Or you can get someone with an export licence to do it for you. Imported in his name. you can use it but will get transferred to your name only after 2 years on road here!! Same was used in fake TR cases,

I personally do not recommend any illegal practices!! Unless you are JUDGE DREDD!!

But I wish you good luck and hope you manage to receive your SENSATIONAL gift thats gonna TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE!!

RiDe fast, RiDe safe!!
(note the RD- i call it "Budget V-Max" for poor guys like me!! lol !!):rofl:

Thanks for da reply Bikeninstien N Nikhil !

Well bikenstien..

1. The bikes cumin from Canada (Saskatoon, Saketchwan)
2. My granny is planin 2 give it to me for my birthday.
3. She has got a dual citizenship, so is she eligible for gifting ?
3. Its a new bike V-Max 2006.
4. I am currently in Pune. Whom to contact here on in bombay ?
5. Watz with dis import/export lisence shit ?
6. Any spl. things to b done at da R.T.O. to register da bike? How much do I have to pay ?

So wat do u make of it ? So how much moolah do u think i will have to shell out to get a G I F T ???? :(
Hey nikhil...
dont know if i will b able to handle tat machine... :D
But i've been riding a thunderbird n a RD350 since last 1 1/2yrs. Done pune-mumbai, pune-goa, delhi-leh on my TB in last 1yr or so. :D

Thanks

Hey Anu,

You are lucky.... But for your own safety, I would advise you to request your granny to get you a Yam R6 or a CBR 600 or a Kawasaki ZX 6R. These are less powerful than the high end superbikes like R1, CBR 1000, ZX-10R, etc.... The VMAX is CRAZY!!!!

I mean it. You need to be an amazingly good rider to master that bike and even after that, you do not control the bike. IT controls you.

and there is no 2006 model of the VMAX. The Vmax has not been updated since abt 10-15 yrs.

The original was brought out in 1985 and since then it has basically remained unchanged.

I strongly suggest for your safety that you go for a 600 cc supersports bike. These are much better than the Vmax but are waaaay easier to drive. You will not kill yourself and a dozen others. And they can touch 0-100 in abt 3 secs. Top speeds in excessof 240kmph.

They may not be as fast as the 1000 cc bikes but then neither will they kill you :)

Nikhil said:
Hey Anu,

You are lucky.... But for your own safety, I would advise you to request your granny to get you a Yam R6 or a CBR 600 or a Kawasaki ZX 6R. These are less powerful than the high end superbikes like R1, CBR 1000, ZX-10R, etc.... The VMAX is CRAZY!!!!

I mean it. You need to be an amazingly good rider to master that bike and even after that, you do not control the bike. IT controls you.

and there is no 2006 model of the VMAX. The Vmax has not been updated since abt 10-15 yrs.

The original was brought out in 1985 and since then it has basically remained unchanged.

I strongly suggest for your safety that you go for a 600 cc supersports bike. These are much better than the Vmax but are waaaay easier to drive. You will not kill yourself and a dozen others. And they can touch 0-100 in abt 3 secs. Top speeds in excessof 240kmph.

They may not be as fast as the 1000 cc bikes but then neither will they kill you :)

Hehe... Thanks for da advise nikhil... :D

And I know tat da V-MAX was introduced in 85.:)
Since den only a fewer changes have taken place like a quiter exhaust, improved shocks etc.

I have always wanted to own a power CRUISER... not a sports bike... plus da ground clearnce is btr dan a sports bike... (reqd for our moon like roads in India) :D

I havent got da crotch rocket as yet dude....... I will have to patao fy my dad for da import tax n s*** !!!!
So therefore I need ur help to calculate the costs n know da procedure...

Quad Master said:
The bike looks completely stunning , even i have a passion for bikes.
u are very luck dude to get such a bike dont forget to give me a ride ;)
Shure !!!!! As soon as I can get my hands on it...:hap2:

apollyon said:
there r 1-2 v-max's in pune....one near deccan gymkhana....saw a harley vrod near kondhwa yesterday....awesome!!

Yeah, One VMax is owned by Sameer in Khondwa. Met him at Nana Peth, while getting roots intalled on my thunderbird der. He has got a 97 model.

I saw a harley at KP, but I think it was a Softtail. Coudnt meet da owner. Was da harley which u saw black-blue shade ?

Nikhil said:
Why dont you take his v max for a test ride before getting it to see if you can handle it :bleh:
He must have already done that na :p ?

Why are you doubting his riding skills so much ?

I hate to say this but I have heard of a guy from a mag going to a V-max owner to test ride the bike and crashing it. and this guy was better than the average Joe. He had ridden an R1 and an R6 before upto 200kmph.

A V-Max is totally different. I am telling you.... read abt it. It HATES cornering. It has BRUTE power and is amazing. but it is not for the faint hearted. It is sometimes very dofficult to control. and given our Indian roads where all of a sudden, a cow decides to commit suicide by walking into the middle of the road, a V-Max could be deadly....

I am just concerned. And of course, I have not seen Andy_Anu riding a bike so, in a way, my fears may not be justified.

And he does have some experience with an RD 350. That was one BAD ASS bike!!! I myself have trained myself on my Yezdi Roadking and after that, my P180 DTSi was a piece of cake :bleh:

I guess, it will be ok.

So, Anu --- Take care and ENJOY!!!!

Nikhil said:
I hate to say this but I have heard of a guy from a mag going to a V-max owner to test ride the bike and crashing it. and this guy was better than the average Joe. He had ridden an R1 and an R6 before upto 200kmph.

A V-Max is totally different. I am telling you.... read abt it. It HATES cornering. It has BRUTE power and is amazing. but it is not for the faint hearted. It is sometimes very dofficult to control. and given our Indian roads where all of a sudden, a cow decides to commit suicide by walking into the middle of the road, a V-Max could be deadly....

I am just concerned. And of course, I have not seen Andy_Anu riding a bike so, in a way, my fears may not be justified.

And he does have some experience with an RD 350. That was one BAD ASS bike!!! I myself have trained myself on my Yezdi Roadking and after that, my P180 DTSi was a piece of cake :bleh:

I guess, it will be ok.

So, Anu --- Take care and ENJOY!!!!

Hehe (Ur posts always bring a smile on my face :) )... Thanks again for ur concern pal.... Well I did read a lot of reviews of the bike after reading ur previous post... well it has something called a V-Boost which comes in play after 6000rpm (irrespective of the gear) which provides INSANE acceleration, which can really pull da bar outa ur hands :) !
Cornering has been a problem with dis bike due to da dated chaisis design, a slighlty higher seating position and the overly powerful engine. But dis cornering problem occurs only if u make turns at a high speed.
I have ridden my thunerbird at da most dangerous and seemingly impossible turns at Leh... N I know wat a bike which hates cornering can do to u !!! So i complelty understand ur concern !!

And yes on highways in India, espically if u r crossing a village or something, the locals n der belowed four legged daily bread cross da roads af if dey r walking in der own backyard... so irrespective of the bike u r on, its best to slow down !!! :)

Nikhil said:
Why dont you take his v max for a test ride before getting it to see if you can handle it :bleh:

I just met tat guy nd it dint seem right for me to ask him for a test ride... Bikes r something very close to ur heart... :)

apollyon said:
the harley i saw was a silver v-rod...hayabusa's, r1's, ducati monsters n cbrs r dime a dozen at kondhwa..
Quite true ! I have heard der are some superbike clubs der too !!!
I am myself a part of Roadshakers pune, one of the oldest enfield clubs in india . :clap:

Back