Nexus 4 (16GB)
Total cost = Rs. 23.5 to 25k --- post 1st March customs increase taken into consideration
Rs. 23726 in my case - PPO Box
Rs 22621 - for Varkey. Given at end of post, through HopShopGo.
^ Note, it is cheaper through HSG only if importing more than one phone. If getting just one piece, the price is higher.
Now, importing the Nexus 4 might feel daunting in the beginning, but I have seen that after enough homework even newbies (me) can do it with ease. I will just lay down the procedure I used, along with all the other options I found, that could be used to order the phone.
What you need?
Credit card or someone who has one (yeah! either you gotta be rich or have loads of rich friends) (as a student I consider anyone who earns rich)
An account in PPOBox, HSG or SnS etc
Proxy -browser based or VPN
1. Open a free account with PPOBox or HopShopGo or comGateway or a paid one with SnS. You can also use sites like ishopinternational but I personally do not know much about them
2. Install a free VPN client like tunnelbear (which I used) or use browser based proxy
3. Access play.google.com/store (the US website) ( this can only be accessed from US, hence we need proxy to use it)
4. Add Nexus 4 to cart and then at checkout pay with credit card. Do note the price of Nexus 4 is famously understood to be just $350 but there are a lot of costs associated. The total cost is : 350 + shipping ($14) + Tax (in US) $0 to 40
Enter the address given to you by PPOBox or others which will look like this >
5. Enter your tracking details in PPOBox etc so that they can track your package.ICC World
627-F Summit Avenue PPO # (-Pkg ID no. if available)
Jersey City, NJ 07306, USA
6. Wait for an e-mail or phone call to know the customs or other charges. Before 1st March the total came to 1500 odd but now it is 2500 odd but still a good deal.
7. After paying for shipping and customs, they will ship it to your address.
Q: Why do I need an account with PPOBox or HopShopGo or comGateway or SnS?
A: Google doesn't ship the Nexus 4 device outside US. The above given services are freight forwarders. They give you an address in US, you can ship anything to that address. They collect it and then ship it to India.
Q: Why do I need proxy?
A: You cannot access the US Google Play store otherwise
Q: What if the product is faulty?
A: Then you will unfortunately have to ship it back to US and then get it back which might cost a couple of thousand bucks. A huge loss. But luckily not many phones have failed.
I will breakdown the costs now:
Device = $350/ Rs.21500
Ship (in US) = $14 / Rs.750
Tax (in US) = $0 for Oregan, $25 for New Jersey, >$25 for NY
------ (below specific to PPOBox)--------------
Shipping to India = Rs. 618
Customs duty + other taxes = 1746
Total = Rs. 23726
The later part, i.e. shipping to India + duty will vary depending on which one your use HSG or PPO or SnS etc. I personally do not know which one is the best. All have been found favourable. I just chose this as PPOBox provides a sealed box.
A lot of information is just scattered around in different Nexus 4 threads, if any confusion still persists then I suggest going through the following threads >
My attempt is to consolidate it in a concise manner and mostly just summing up the queries I myself had and posed on fellow member. I though it would only be befitting if I summaries everything that resulted out of those countless queries.
My 2 x Nexus 4 s have cleared customs and here is the exact cost break up - @prime
2 x Nexus 4 = Rs 40386.71
International Shipping (HopShopGo) = Rs 1,640.62
Customs + Fedex handling charge = Rs 3214 (Rs 2876 + Rs 338) - Declared Value - 737.6 USD, Assessable Value - Rs 41088 and duty at 7%.
Total = Rs 45241.33 or Rs 22621 per phone!
Last edited by a moderator: