India seeks to block Chinese firms from sub-Rs 12,000 phone market

Bhakts losing their sh!t about china. Here Mudiji cant even commit to China crossing the border.
In his closing remarks at the all-party meeting on China on June 19, Modi said, “Na koi wahan hamari seema mein ghus aaya hai, na hi koi ghusa hua hai, na hi hamari koi post kisi dusre ke kabze mein hain (No one has intruded and nor is anyone intruding, nor has any post been captured by someone).” The remarks were carried live on television.

But normal people who can barely make a living, under this dicktator's random whims turned into laws, should go and fight the chinese. When we all know there are currently no alternate suppliers for a lot of stuff that is imported from China.

Sure we can use shitty or expensive phones, but will mudiji first stop Ad@ni and Amb@ani from importing shitty phones from china and selling them to us as make in India? Maybe charity should begin at home and then people will take it seriously. Mudiji for once in his life needs to walk the talk instead of just talking and talking.
now please give us your detailed solution and analysis as to how to tackle the import bill problem especially trade deficit with china im sure you must have a plan.

this is basically what you wrote

TL ; DR Ambani & Adani BAD , Muddijjii Bad

Problem with Indian companies is that, they will just copy chinese designs, buy from china and assemble in india. So you'll pay what you're paying now, plus the crony capitalist margin.
Most Indian companies don't want to innovate or come with new stuff.
so you know the inner working of each and every indian company , you dont think crony capitalism happens in china , the country literally is just controlled by few large families of politburo, crony capitalism does it not happen in USA?

how do you think US govt passes 800 billion defence budgets each year , it is all a result of lobbying by defence contractor , the entire US govt is literally controlled by various corporate entities big pharma , big defense contractors , big equity , big tech but i didnt knew we had literal policy experts and all knowing gods on this forum who claim to know about the entire indian industry.

I am not sure how the govt. Is playing it but as an Indian I am happy if Chinese are been giving a hard time.

They are a menance . There is no way for Indian mobile companies to take on big Chinese manufacturers like Xaomi,Vivo,oppo etc without breaking some rules .

The Chinese have been breaking every rule so about time.

Indian companies like Micromax had lot of potential to become a global player but lack of support and allowing these Chinese to have free run they manage to bulldozed our home grown companies .

People who cannot afford will be suffering though but here hoping it will be short phased and soon Indian companies start giving them good stuff for good value .
Many ways to spin this as you can see from the thread.

The China we knew two years ago or earlier is not the same anymore and not likely to get back anytime soon.

Doklam, Galwan, Taiwan sees China losing 3-0

The Chinese economy right now is in the toilet. If you want to hit them now is a good time.

People have been asking for action for some time now, the govt reps said they were working on things which they would reveal when ready.

This must be one of them. This country will have to lead the way in showing the world how to decouple from China.

Germany just banned Oppo and OnePlus due to theft of Nokia's patents.

Personally, I don't give a shit about the human-rights abusing new-colonial regime, but Indian government's reasoning to reduce competition for "India-made" phones is bullshit when all the components are practically imported from China and just assembled here. First make India self-independent on hardware manufacturing and then we'll talk about it.

Germany just banned Oppo and OnePlus due to theft of Nokia's patents.
Strange because their latest phones do not support many of India's 5G bands. I thought they would have complied in Europe.

Following this ruling, there is a very good chance that other manufacturers from Oppo and OnePlus’ parent company, BBK Electronics, may face a similar problem. Other smartphone brands in BBK Electronics’ portfolio include the likes of Vivo, iQOO, Realme etc.

Due to more lawsuits by Nokia against BBK group in the UK, Netherlands, Spain, France, Finland, and Sweden, this could mean the end of the Eurotrip for Oppo, OnePlus, Vivo, Realme brands.
Problem is our leaders lack vision and we end up messing most of these decisions. Even if they are actually right decision.
Leaders have vision otherwise we would not be where we are. But all leaders have to deal with bureaucracies and that is where things get twisted.
If chinese causing problems then why not ban 100% of the made in china mobiles? What's up with the 12k threshold?
I'm still wondering how they are going to do that. all I hear is they will do it

If these Chinese companies agree not to sell for less than 12k then the problem is over isn't it :) What am I missing here ?
You are way off the mark , do you know how much a unit of electricity costs in pakistan right now? 44 PKR and its even going up they use natural gas and oil to make electricity , do you want to pay 20-25 rs per KWH look at whats happening in Europe or what happens in Texas in winters , Energy needs to be diversified renewable energy cannot take over base load especially during nights , coal is the way until india builds sufficient nuclear capacity that should have happened years ago if it weren't for the down right incompetent govts.
I said this years ago but people were mocking me here. And just see what happened with Kudankulam. Supposed to be building more reactors but some activists got into the game and sabotaged it. Ten years ago !!!!
please stop buying into western cool aid of renewable just look at germany
If you want more ammo along these lines listen to Vijay ;)
we cannot out import china in terms of weapons we absolutely need to make every weaponry and all kinds of critical technology at home we need to make all the medicines , APIS , electronics , Weapons and whatever we import from china.
It's happening which is why we already have a thread on the increasing cost of medicines.
i didn't know people had crystal ball here never saw it in buy sell thread , btw no one is pointing gun to your head to buy made in india phone , you can always buy iphone and flaunt it and pretend to be cool :/
Right, not seen any thread where someone wants to buy a sub12k phone on the board yet why people are crying as if this will be the next phone they want !!!

What will this do to second-hand value of phones? will they hold value for longer? I think this will interest people on the board
My father in law shared an anecdote where his friend did a comparison on setting up a Mfg factory in India and in China and how cheap and easy it was to start one in China. We are mired in red tape
Let me guess, the Chinese said it would take three weeks to get the land. They went and uprooted any villagers that were living there and kept their word.
As long as the ownership is indian , every big business is going to source parts from other places , did you know famous brazilian aerospace giant Embraer came to india to learn about making aircrafts people at HAL laughed them out of the room look where they are today and where HAL is. we could have had Embraer in india making planes for our airlines and exporting it globally , but we just gave up and took the easy route, embraer imports engine from RR,GE and P&W and avionics are imported from Rockwell collins , Garmin etc but the IP and ownership of aircrafts and design and everything else is Brazilian.
Golden opportunity lost
just watch with patience Click Here,
Rare to see a content creator who took the trouble to add Hindi subtitles. YT still cannot do voice recognition in Hindi or Mandarin for that matter :arghh:
India has shown the way to destroy the entire telecom and mobile market of China..
He starts with the conclusion first, this is also the conclusion I'm reaching after months of these ED tactics.

Taiwan, India & US had different roles to play
It does seem like it was synchronised, wasn't it :)

He has an interesting graphic that comes from here

The plan is to put the squeeze on the blue part ?

Latest episode

Relations will not be normalised unless they settle the border issue.

No? then wait for the next episode

The plan is if they suffer a 15% reduction in global exports it will create enough domestic turmoil to encourage positive behaviour. No need for any war this way.

They are primarily an economic power, not the military power that they pretend to be.

These guys got balls. It took an octagenarian woman to teach the pentagon and the Whitehouse to grow a pair. And she was met by another equally brave woman.

Because the Tawanese know an invasion is impossible. Now the world knows too :)

Attachments

• Exports 2020.png
    Exports 2020.png
    299 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
From phone news to China trying to invade Taiwan news. Nice development.
Anyway, this is one of the dumbest govt policies ever and if they put out the order for real it may suffer a market backlash in the form of increasing the price of the entry level phones which is bad for consumers and brands like Samsung will monopolize the market. I thought people hated monopoly.
If this was really done to promote "home grown" brand like Lava and Micromax then I call bs. Lava and Micromax are two of the worst phone brands to exist. Several conspiracy theories can be made regarding this but from a consumer PoV it's pure bs. They must have somehow pleaded and made some deals with the central govt to push this "made in India" agenda crap.
Bottomline: this makes the govt look stupid and poorer consumers will bear the brunt of it all. And people are happy about this? Woah.
Before you ask for something to be replaced by force to suit your thoughts, you need to make sure that there is a good product ready to replace it. There isn't any for this. Many of the people here probably won't give a shit about this because they don't go for low budget models anyway but when you consider the overall income of the entire Indians, this is going to be harsh. I mean just a few months ago I was looking to buy used decent smartphones for villagers because they couldn't afford it. Now good models will get more costly and the bottom line basic models will be just trash. Let's not forget that the fact that many companies still paste "Made in India" stickers on their boxes despite importing them from China and what has the govt done about it? Nothing!
Another thing with regard to Xiaomi specifically, never forget that if Xiaomi hadn't entered the smartphone market, we would be paying for overpriced Samsung garbage phones. And it looks like it's about to happen all over again.
Make Moto great again!

Last edited:
Good thing, i have replaced my 5 year old OP5 with Redmi K50i latest Chinese smartphone for only 17k INR. No korean/american mobile phone company can offer such high-end product at lower price ever.
Heck , these shit companies wont even provide 3.5mm jack or a charger despite charging upward of 1 lakh for their outdated 60Hz screen with proprietary connectors + charging extra on their inferior BT earbugs.

Considering that, even a feature phone at 12K would bring more value than all these overpriced e-waste.

A country can truly makes progress when there is a rational balance between patriotism and economics (math).
IMO, India has systemic problems which need financial allocation and attention before we can build competitive things.

This protection of domestic industries is not a novel idea and has been tried before. In that execution people were waiting years for a scooter, paying "premium" to skip the line, the only and best car in India was the fabled ambassador.

Manufacturing competitively needs an ecosystem to succeed and be competitive. China built this over 3-4 decades, with a vision, starting with simple footwear and then moving up the value chain with deliberate practice. Now they are knocking at the doors of semiconductors, with some claims of having had made an entry into the EUV process. Did China cut corners and break rules, absolutely yes, but as a part of a plan with a systemic approach.

I don't see any such long term vision in India, I hope our politicians get serious about it. While this government has had good intentions some decisions and execution has been more than questionable. Intent and capability are two different things, I hope they have made an honest assessment of both.

A country can truly makes progress when there is a rational balance between patriotism and economics (math).
IMO, India has systemic problems which need financial allocation and attention before we can build competitive things.

This protection of domestic industries is not a novel idea and has been tried before. In that execution people were waiting years for a scooter, paying "premium" to skip the line, the only and best car in India was the fabled ambassador.

Manufacturing competitively needs an ecosystem to succeed and be competitive. China built this over 3-4 decades, with a vision, starting with simple footwear and then moving up the value chain with deliberate practice. Now they are knocking at the doors of semiconductors, with some claims of having had made an entry into the EUV process. Did China cut corners and break rules, absolutely yes, but as a part of a plan with a systemic approach.

I don't see any such long term vision in India, I hope our politicians get serious about it. While this government has had good intentions some decisions and execution has been more than questionable. Intent and capability are two different things, I hope they have made an honest assessment of both.
one of the more balanced post , half the users posting here have no clue about manufacturing and are just edgy teenagers living in echo chambers.

we are at the stage 0 we are just laying down the foundation , building blocks of a silicon , electronic manufacturing in india we can only go up from here , its like here goes nothing.

while i agree execution and eventual roll out will determine what future holds for us , i don't know it any better than others unlike some soothsayers on this thread with a crystal ball.

but intent is the first and foremost thing , if i don't will it nothing happens , once i have willed i can make it happen , let's see what happens but we have to cut our electronics dependence on china even if we had good geopolitical relations with them , for such a large nation we can not be beholden to any one player for our critical stuff.

I'm assuming they will be banning phones imported from china and under <12K, and not the ones assembled in India. An amicable middle ground is to force these chinese firms to create indian entities, we recently heard about the money laundering these chinese firms are involved in, and the shady loan apps. China cannot be trusted, and someway or the other needs to be put in line, regardless of who is in power.

From phone news to China trying to invade Taiwan news. Nice development.
Anyway, this is one of the dumbest govt policies ever and if they put out the order for real it may suffer a market backlash in the form of increasing the price of the entry level phones which is bad for consumers and brands like Samsung will monopolize the market. I thought people hated monopoly.
If this was really done to promote "home grown" brand like Lava and Micromax then I call bs. Lava and Micromax are two of the worst phone brands to exist. Several conspiracy theories can be made regarding this but from a consumer PoV it's pure bs. They must have somehow pleaded and made some deals with the central govt to push this "made in India" agenda crap.
Bottomline: this makes the govt look stupid and poorer consumers will bear the brunt of it all. And people are happy about this? Woah.
Before you ask for something to be replaced by force to suit your thoughts, you need to make sure that there is a good product ready to replace it. There isn't any for this. Many of the people here probably won't give a shit about this because they don't go for low budget models anyway but when you consider the overall income of the entire Indians, this is going to be harsh. I mean just a few months ago I was looking to buy used decent smartphones for villagers because they couldn't afford it. Now good models will get more costly and the bottom line basic models will be just trash. Let's not forget that the fact that many companies still paste "Made in India" stickers on their boxes despite importing them from China and what has the govt done about it? Nothing!
Another thing with regard to Xiaomi specifically, never forget that if Xiaomi hadn't entered the smartphone market, we would be paying for overpriced Samsung garbage phones. And it looks like it's about to happen all over again.
Make Moto great again!
If you want to look at it cynically, the money from the Chinese manufacturers, which are effectively subsidised by the CCP to varying extent, is being laundered back to China, totally ignoring the law of the land (custom duties, FEMA) they operate in, besides killing the possibility of local brands to compete with them. In that sense, it can be contrived as providing China with blood money, being used to hurt the nation instead.

Logically though, the companies should be allowed to operate but they should be under extreme scrutiny with respect to imports and remittances. Life has to be made hard for them when dealing with Indian money. The crypto currency exchanges also came up as aiding such practices, so clamping down on them has already cut down on one option being exploited by these companies (unlike US companies, they don't even declare crypto holdings).

Was just reading yesterday about the corruption that Samsung has indulged in Korea over several decades, pulling the strings of the government, after the Samsung heir was provided a presidential pardon yesterday, just like his father. It pales in comparison to the accusations made of favouring Ambani and Adani. If you go looking for clean companies, there wouldn't be any left to do business.

It is okay to compete, but it has to be done fairly enough which is presently not the case. The laws need to be tightened up more than anything else.

Back