Iniviting All Downloaders (No PC & laptop users)

Praks

Skilled
Friends,

Creating special thread & inviting all download junkies :) to share their download methods used (HARDWARE).

NOT Required - If you use desktop / laptop as 24/7 download machines, This thread is NOT for you :), Be environment friendly & save some electricity using small hardware ;)

Please post methods you use to download (HTTP, FTP, Torrents) using different hardware.

- Wi Fi Routers (Using DDWRT / Tomato)

- Small Machines (Zotac/Pogo Plug)

- Media Players (WDTV B RAD, iOmega Inbuilt software, Asus mO services)

- Mobile Phones

Here is 1st method from my side.

Used Asus N13U B1 Wi Fi Router which has USB port at the back & Asus gives download master software inbuilt which is crap to the core. Router is excellent but Download master software is too bad. It can download direct HTTP, FTP & torrents on external USB of WiFi router. Luckily DD WRT has released firmware & we have few users testing it.

Please share your methods & spread the knowledge of small power consumption foot print.

UPDATE:

Added Mobile Phones in options, MHG posted downloads using Nokia 5800.

This idea was mine but designed for a friend.

Using a Nokia 5800 XpressMusic with SymTorrent.

Replaced normal BSNL Modem with WiFi Modem and enabled WiFi.

Phone connects through WiFi and downloads :D

Lots of power saving. And 8GB Memory card is capable of handling downloads from morning to night :eek:hyeah:

^^This actually will save hell lot of power. Excellent idea i must say. Sad that i cannot do this with my android phone as the wifi connection drops as soon as the phone goes to sleep :(

Btw i have occasionally used my eaget m880 media player with my MTNL modem connected to it using LAN cable. Downloads directly on media player harddisk.

MHG said:

Lots of power saving. And 8GB Memory card is capable of handling downloads from morning to night :eek:hyeah:
then why not opt for a faster connection and reduce your download time and save the environment. I can download about 1GB/hour.

I keep my netbook for downloads.

Also I am planning to replace it with socket 370 Tualatin Celeron system soon which I feel saves lot of power.

I currently use a Centrino based rig (not laptop) for download 24/7 and clock around 350-450GB per month. I would really like to go the "green" way if some reliable solutions are available for my specific needs.

• I don't use torrents and rely completely on HTTP downloads from Rapidshare & Fileserve. Are there low power solutions capable of handling premium account downloads reliably?..See also below.
  • The web browser based download clients I've seen with many routers/NMP's are too primitive and leaves a lot to be desired. It is really cumbersome to add links manually using a browser based interface. Is there any thing like a Jdownloader interface which can catch the downloads links on the main PC but pass on the links to the low power download rig. More like just a link catcher/categorizer running on the main PC, but pass on the rest of the download job to a low power rig.
  • Automatic file extraction (in the download rig a la jdownloader) would be an added benefit.

Can anyone suggest some low power schemes which fits the above requirement.

I'm using a Seagate Dockstar based on the Sheeva Plug Computer for 24/7 downloads. Offers much more flexibility than routers etc.

I also use a Atom Box at home, but that is not really power efficient, uses about 45w. Will be replacing it with a Seagate GoFlex Net (has SATA Ports :eek:hyeah:)

@Digital Vampire : You can try pyLoad for http downloads, works fine in my Dockstar. Has support for premium accounts and everything.

Thanks Varkey...I think I should give pyLoad a try.

Its still a bit unclear to me whether it has a download catcher which can run on my main PC and automatically transfer the download job to the "green" downloader

^ The download catcher facility is there, but for our "green" usage, it might not work. :p

Click and Load 2 + FlashGot

JDownloaders Click and Load Support (only working when pyLoad runs locally)

MHG said:

The battery and the card will die very soon. The heat will significantly affect the phone's life also. Whatever is saved in power and more will be lost in this way.

Btw I use Asus rt-n16 and an old maxtor 250gb external drive connected to it.

raksrules said:
^^This actually will save hell lot of power. Excellent idea i must say. Sad that i cannot do this with my android phone as the wifi connection drops as soon as the phone goes to sleep :(

Btw i have occasionally used my eaget m880 media player with my MTNL modem connected to it using LAN cable. Downloads directly on media player harddisk.
Goto the advanced options menu under wifi settings and change the wifi policy to always not disconnect when the phone sleeps.

stalker said:
Goto the advanced options menu under wifi settings and change the wifi policy to always not disconnect when the phone sleeps.
Yes this can be done but the problem with blades is that it does not work, even if it is set to never. :( It is a native issue with blade and not with the ROMS so the only way to keep wifi alive is to keep phone from sleeping.

My O1 heats up pretty badly If using torrents(a-downloader) and charging simultaneously.

Well If you put notebook in "power saving" mode and also close the lid so that the screen is off, it should consume 25 watts or thereabout???

I was using asus netbook as my 24/7 downloader...Yesterday I ordered Buffalo WZR-HP-GN300NH wireless router which has USB support...Once I receive it.. will follow Vinay's step by step guide to flash it with OpenWRT and use it as a 24/7 downloader..

I am using my android phone with 16GB memory card as my download rig. :p
Now I feel pity when I see my original(celeron based) download rig collecting dust over it. :p :D

MHG said:

but does your phone gets hot?
cont.charging will screw your battery and cont. read writes of sym torrent will screw your memory card.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

harishgayatri said:
I keep my netbook for downloads.

Also I am planning to replace it with socket 370 Tualatin Celeron system soon which I feel saves lot of power.
celeron wont save more power than netbook.
atom is more power saving than celeron.
also dont close your pc lid,
their is a small app which switch of your screen .
netbook is better as downloader with screen switched off.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

just search display off,

its windows mobility center tile .

it gives ou small button which you can place anywhere you want.

i use it since 2-3 yrs now.

Back