CPU/Mobo insane CPU temperature

HI....i recently assembled a new rig with AMD X2 4800+ and Ga-Ma78GM-S2H on a zebronics bijli cabinet. The problem I am facing is of unnaturally high cpu temperatures. I tried reseating the HS after a coating of Arctic Cooling MX-2, still the same problem, on full load the temperatures rise in excess of 100C and finally the CPU shuts down. In idle state, the temperatures are 38-48 C. Agreed the room temperatures nowadays are pretty high, but still I am unable to figure out what to make of this.

My queries are as follows:
1. has anyone else faced the same problem
2. does it look that i botched up the reseating
3. can it be problem with the CPU temp diode
4. help me please!!!

Please see the attached snapshots of the Gigabyte EasyTune 5 pro [which i suppose reads the temp from the BIOS]. Speedfan gives the temperatures in the same range....

Thanks in advance...

Attachments

• cpu-pre.JPG
    cpu-pre.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 90
  • cpu-post.JPG
    cpu-post.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 88
  • cpu-load.JPG
    cpu-load.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 84
U're probably the first here to get a 780G based mobo..

Wat all apps forces the CPU to shut down after the temp shoots up??

The idle temps seems a li'l high on the 50+ side. Is d HSF properly mounted??

well the classic case of shutdown is when i try to extract a .7z file using winrar [which spikes the cpu usage to 100% on both the cores].

A game play of portal for around 20-25 mins also did shut the rig down.
Also browsing on the net with lots of pics open spikes the temperature in excess of 80C.
There were other random occasions when the CPU shut itself down, and actually took some amount time to cool down. In the 'test' case [ winrar one] the pc normally starts up immediately.

Another thing is that can it be the north bridge that is driving the cpu temp us [though i guess it should not be] . The NB temperature on 780 is normally between 85-100 C

If you're locking up it's pretty sure the heat, and I would rate those temps as pessimistic (the CPU wouldn't survive 100 degrees) but indicative.

Are you sure you've seated the HS right? It shouldn't move at all under pressure (the stock HSF) and the cam lever needs to be locked down tight.

Remove the HSF and check the imprint of thermal compound on the heatspreader and the HSF base. AM2 HSF retention is pretty good, and results in uniform imprint on the stock HSF. A defective bracket, heatsink, or user error will result in uneven print.

Check that you've installed the heat sink properly.
How much artic silver did you put? Its supposed to be a thin layer.

Looking at those pics you posted, the system temp is a constant 38...that can't be right if your cpu and north bridge are ~100. So, maybe all the temp readings are wrong.

Try this, open the case and touch the heatsink with your finger the next time it shuts down due to over heating.

Since this is a new rig...did you face any problems while installing your OS?
If not, then maybe it's the monitoring software thats faulty.
Try entering the bios, and checking the temps from there.
See if theres a bios update available, and update it if you can.

But, first do the touch test. If the heat sink's seated properly, and it's still getting really hot, stop using your computer and take it back to the dealer. If anything gets burn marks on it, your warranty will be void.

BTW- your idle temps are normal. Your idle temps will come down if you enable cool and quiet.

Seems like idle temps fer the X2 4800+ is around the 55-68'C mark..

Probably the HSF is not seated properly..

And apply the MX2 as a drop @ the centre of the cpu and gently let the HSF spread the TIM upon seating it..

Did you remoce the stock goop b4 applying the AS5 or MX2 if not get some Propyl Alcohol and earbds and remove it then use some thermal paste als just use a little bit in the center and smudge it with ur heatsink so that its proptional on the surface.

Thanks ppl for your valuable input.

1. The OS did install successfully
2. I did the feel-the-heatsink test, after ststem did shut down on overheating, I opened the case and felt it, it was mildly warm, infact as warm as the cabinet.
3. I had checked the initial seating, the goob was reasonable, nevertheless i removed it , cleaned a bit using propanol based aftershave on the heatsink [yes i know its wrong] and cleaned it off the processor, then applied 1/2 rice grain of MX2 and set the HSF on it, locked it firmly.
4. I am running the latest version of the BIOS. The BIOS alert temperature is set at 70C and cool and quiet turned on.
Now I would like to have suggestions on the following:
1. Can it be that the processor temp diode is bad
2. mobo sensor are bad
3. i need to reseat the HSF once again, after cleaning with true propanol.
4. I need to wait for 100 hrs as mandated by Arctic cooling to work.

thanks in advance. I have attached an Everest CPU stability test snapshot. As you can see that the CPU temperature spikes up, and falls down immediately once the test is stopped.

Attachments

• stabilitytest.jpg
    stabilitytest.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 72
anibhatt said:
Now I would like to have suggestions on the following:
1. Can it be that the processor temp diode is bad
2. mobo sensor are bad
3. i need to reseat the HSF once again, after cleaning with true propanol.
4. I need to wait for 100 hrs as mandated by Arctic cooling to work.

thanks in advance. I have attached an Everest CPU stability test snapshot. As you can see that the CPU temperature spikes up, and falls down immediately once the test is stopped.

1. Extremely rare.

2. Can be. To sort out this one, check ur proccy somewhere else and check another proccy in the same mobo if possible.

3. U needn. There's no need to. An aftershave cud've done the job. Its a solvent jus like nail polish remover.

4. U needn. Works instantly.

Also download Core temp from here:
Core Temp

and check the temps. :)

vNerd said:
1/2 rice grain is a bit less in my opinion. I generally put like 1&1/2 rice grain of basmati's worth. :rofl:

raw or cooked?

jks apart, 1/2 grain is surely less, it should be evenly smeared over the surface.

This is ridiculous. If the contact between the heatsink and the processor is all right, then a CPU temperature of 80 degrees+ (as indicated in your screenshot) will ensure you burn your hand if you touch the heatsink.

A defective sensor is ruled out as the system would have reported faulty temperatures, but would not shut down due to heat.

The problem is one of bad contact - I'm not sure you've mounted the heatsink properly. All this mumbo-jumbo about paste and propanol vs Acetone will affect the temperatures, but not by so much. A maximum of five degrees at load and 10 degrees at idle. Not 20-30 degrees either way.

I'm betting on a bad bracket or faulty installation.

Have you or not removed the heatsink to check for the imprint of the compound on the heatsink surface?

Remove the heatsink completely and use a couple of dry paper towels (the ones used in the kitchen) to wipe the processor and HSF down clean.

Use a drop of acetone to clean the surfaces of residual compound. A good solvent if used right at the beginning will turn the compound into a runny mess which gets all over the surfaces. So remove as much as possible in its natural state.

Use a bit of compound in the center of the processor heatspreader. The amount you used is fine, as the core contacts the heatspreader only in the middle. Coverage with a small spot of compound is sufficient, the heatsink will squeeze the excess compound into the contact area if the contact is firm.

Lock the heatsink down properly, but don't turn the cam. Squeeze down on the heatsink body and remove it from the assembly. You should have a small circle the size of a 5 rupee coin in the center of the heatspreader and the matching pattern on the HSF base. If not, you have an issue.

If this is OK, then clip the HSF down again and turn the cam into the locked position, finally run the tests and post back.

Definitely a case of improper contact because even your idle temps are on the higher side by a very significant 10C.
And I am assuming those idle temps are with CnQ enabled (since it's enabled by default)?
I got the same CPU recently and my idle temps are 40C without CnQ and 30C with it.

OT: How much did that 780G board cost you?

As suggested by the members, I tried to reseat the HSF yet again today. Unfortunately, there has not been any significant improvement in the performance... :(

I have attached a few pics of the HSF after cleaning it, the CPU after cleaning it, the amount of mx2 applied and finally the impression of the MX2 after squeezing the HSF. I guess the way I am reseating may be a problem.....

Attachments

• CleanedHSF.JPG
    CleanedHSF.JPG
    8.4 KB · Views: 57
  • CleanedCPU.JPG
    CleanedCPU.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 71
  • applyingMX2.JPG
    applyingMX2.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 79
  • postSeatingCPU.JPG
    postSeatingCPU.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 87
  • stabilitytest2.jpg
    stabilitytest2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 71
Can you get some another cpu to test ? Also test your chip on some other mobo . I think you should be now experienced in removing and attaching heatsink after so many tries :p so possibility of improper heatsink attachment is less .

See the imprint - that's the issue. The HSF is squeezing the compound to one side - the reseating is definitely the issue, or it could be the bracket. Your shape is quite funny.

You're looking for an even spread of the compound over almost the entire surface. The MX-2 amount is correct, if a little in excess. I get almost a square for the right pressure and amount, just the four corners may get left out and sometimes I get absolutely perfect square (not required, most of the contact is in the center) if I'm lucky. A perfect circle will also do, and it needs to cover about 70% of the die.

Back