Budget 51-70k Inspiron 15R SE or XPS 15?

bazinga

Disciple
Hello all, I will be purchasing one of the aforementioned laptops by tomorrow, or max. day after. I shall post the specifications. Please let me know which one is better as I am torn between the two There are good specs in both. So I am unsure. Help me out.

INSPIRON 15r se : Bigger HDD, more RAM, better processor, backlit keyboard
XPS 15 : Has SSD, better graphics card, better display, better looks and build, thinner, bigger battery

I will be using it for web surfing, gaming (dota2, fifa13/14, nba2k13/14, AC series etc), programming etc.
The main use will be for normal engineering stuff. Like MATLAB, CCS, CATIA, CAD etc. And gaming of course. But I am ok with med-high settings. Do let me know the best one.
The XPS look amazing. However, I have read about its heating issues. Any thoughts on that?

Attachments

• LAPTOP - Sheet1.pdf
    36.4 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
Your usage doesnt demand the need for extra ram or processor but you might benifit from better screen and better battery. I would say go for XPS 15(got better support as well fyi).

Any other opinions? I need to book it today!
Comparing :
1) Core i7 3612M Quad-core
1TB 5400 RPM internal HDD
8GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
ATI 2GB 7730M gfx card
Full HD display (1080p) and backlit keyboard

2) core i5 3230M
500 GB 7200 RPM and 32GB SSD
6GB RAM 1600 Mhz
Nvidia 630M 1 GB DDR5 gfx card
Full HD display

Which is better? The price and weight are almost the same. Please reply quickly.
@hahahari @vivek.krishnan @Gannu @terrence.fdes

Who're the manufacturers of those? Performance wise the first would be better (both the CPU and GPU are better) but the SSD on the second one would make it boot faster and run the apps. (those that are installed on the SSD) faster. The backlit keyboard on the first should seal the deal IMO. You can always add a better SSD later - the laptop may come with an mSATA port or swap the optical drive for a caddy and install a regular SSD.

What applications do you intend to run on these machines?

EDIT: Overlooked the first post. Apologies. Got the manufacturer - Dell.

Last edited:
If your Inspiron doesn't come with an mSata drive chances are it may not have the port.

I would go for the Inspiron though. Have the 17R SE and even though it's freaking huge it's a beast of a machine.

@Gannu
Any other opinions? I need to book it today!
Comparing :
1) Core i7 3612M Quad-core
1TB 5400 RPM internal HDD
8GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
ATI 2GB 7730M gfx card
Full HD display (1080p) and backlit keyboard

2) core i5 3230M
500 GB 7200 RPM and 32GB SSD
6GB RAM 1600 Mhz
Nvidia 630M 1 GB DDR5 gfx card
Full HD display

Which is better? The price and weight are almost the same. Please reply quickly.
@hahahari @vivek.krishnan @Gannu @terrence.fdes
The first is Inspiron 15r SE. The second is Dell XPS 15 L521X. Forgot to mention that!
I wish to run multiple tabs on Chrome etc. IDEs such as python, eclipse, netbeans etc. Software such as CATIA,CAD, MATLAB etc. Just normal engineering stuff really. And games such as DOTA2, AC series, BF, COD MW series, FIFA, NBA series etc.

The pros i could find for the Inspiron :
better CPU, backlit keyboard, graphics (im not sure about that. Its DDR3), good display, more RAM,bigger HDD
Cons : heavy, bad battery backup (3hr max), slower HDD

XPS 15 L521x :
Pros :
faster HDD, presence of SSD, great battery backup (6.5hrs), gfx card (not sure, GDDR5), amazing build quality and design, amazing displaycorning gorilla glass display, better ASS
Cons: smaller RAM, no backlit keyboard, slower CPU.

Please let me know which is better! ASAP. Really need to order tonight!
@dafreaking @Gannu

Portability or power? Just choose between the two.

The SSD can be installed on the inspiron if you need.

I personally need a really good screen for working, so I would go with the XPS. But if you do not need that and the higher power is the requirement, then go with the Inspiron mate. To be honest, you cant really go wrong with either of them.

Exactly why I am unable to decide between the two. Are you sure about being able to install an SSD? Then I can put one as needed. Which gfx card is better??

I would say go for the first - since it seems to have a more balanced config. And you can always add a SSD later, as @Gannu said.

Also, AFAIK, you should be getting the Inspiron with the 8 series GPU - atleast, thats what I was told about a few months back by the Dell store guy at Croma.

I doubt the 630M has GDDR5 - it would be GDDR3 only since from 645M onwards only you get the GDDR5 option.

Well I am getting it from the US. On the website, it says 1 GB GDDR5 GT 630M.
As for the Inspiron, it is AMD 7730M 2 GB DDR3. I always thought that DDR5 is better. Isnt that the case?
Besides, the XPS has amazing build quality and better ASS (than other Dell products). It is very thin (though heavy). The screen is awesome, and the body is hot!! :p:cool:. With soft polymers near the handrest etc. The display has Corning Gorilla Glass and with Full HD display. The battery lasts for 6-7 hours according to the reviews. (Just check the pics online, you will fall in love with it!!:);))
The Inspiron has the quad-core processor. And the backlit keyboard and SkullCandy speakers and Full HD display. But the battery lasts less than 3 hours.
So I am a little confused.
@Gannu @vivek.krishnan @Chaos @dafreaking @hahahari
Do let me know your opinions quickly! (and google to see how they both look!)

@dafreaking how are you finding the 17R SE?

Last edited:
IMHO, the gt 630m is not a very good GPU (pathetic i would say).

It won't run most games at high settings.. I guess even fifa won't work at high settings...

I love my 17R SE. Wish it had a quad core though. Mine comes with 2 HDD slots AND an mSata slot. If you can live with the size and a smaller battery get it.

@dafreaking Does the Quad Core make a huge difference? If so how?
I wish that the one i want to buy came with 2 HDD slots. That would enable me to install an SSD. Now if I have to install SSD, il have to remove the 1 TB HDD. Hmmph :cool::confused::mad:
Battery seems to be a huge issue for me. <3hrs seems too less. But still I am inclined towards Inspiron 15R SE.
Even though the XPS has amazing display and body. And Corning Gorilla Glass.
Will order today! Any final thoughts/suggestions?
@hahahari @Gannu @vivek.krishnan @prateekS @Chaos

Congratz mate! make sure to get all the extened warranty you can afford. Trust me, just got 25k worth of part replacements after 4 years of purchasing it.

If you can extend your budget a bit then, Lenovo y510p is you best bet.
Just bought this laptop a week back.
The main attractions are:
* 4th gen i7 4700QM .( Better than 4702qm, is 200mhz faster)
* nvidia gt 755m with an option of sli mode by adding another gpu via ultrabay.
*1TB Hdd.
*Full HD screen. (1080p). The brightness is the best out there. check details on www.notebookcheck.net
*8GB ddr3 ram @ 1600Mhz
* Ultrabay can be used for gpu, or dvd drive or 2ed hdd.
*Full brushed metal body looks cool.
I got it for Rs 75,200/- including backpack.
also got 5000/- voucher via diwali offer.
Online price is Rs 78,000/-. but got this deal by local lenovo dealer.
He also told me 2yrs accidental warranty, but till now its showing 1 yr warranty on lenovo website.will check with dealer soon.
If you have any questions regarding this laptop,you can contact me via PM

Well bad news. Long due that i told it here I suppose. The final payment for the 15R SE did not go through. It took a couple of days, by which time my cousin who was supposed to get it home for me, left the US to return to India. So did not order due to the time constraint. Phew. Completely disappointed. Was expecting the beast of a laptop :(

Back